Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:25 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
To nitpick further, like most modern engines, the 07K doesn't have a dedicated EGR system---rather it uses the variable camshaft timing system to create overlap during certain light load conditions and cause an EGR effect. No EGR hardware necessary. To those planning on running standalone engine management with the 07K, tuning the VVT system and/or electronic throttle body will add to the learning curve, but it should be doable.
My mistake, I keep getting my two cars mixed up. This one does have something called the combination valve apparently? I guess it sends air from a pump into the cat to produce a false lean condition which.... I guess somehow is an efficiency thing?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
My mistake, I keep getting my two cars mixed up. This one does have something called the combination valve apparently? I guess it sends air from a pump into the cat to produce a false lean condition which.... I guess somehow is an efficiency thing?
Is this what you are referring to?

Amazon Amazon

If so, that is a a part of the secondary air injection system, which is kind of like an electronic smog pump. Extra air is pumped into the exhaust manifold after a cold startup to help the catalytic converter warm up faster. That combination valve is attached to the exhaust manifold, and opens to admit air into the exhaust stream after a cold start--- it has no effect on the engine's air/fuel mixture. I would imagine that most of you guys will be eliminating this system altogether, so it will not have any bearing on your setup.

EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) uses a similar-looking valve to divert exhaust gases into the intake manifold during certain condition. The inert exhaust gas displaces fresh air and dilutes the intake charge, which lowers combustion chamber temperatures to reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. No German gasoline engine that I am aware of has had an EGR valve since the early '80s (all diesel engines use EGR, however). Some newer American and Japanese gasoline engines used EGR well into the 2000s, but often as a way to reduce pumping losses during closed-throttle conditions rather than purely for emissions reduction.

A co-worker just picked up an Audi RS3 with the updated version of the 07K 5-cylinder, and made me want to do this swap even more . . . . .
Old 05-20-2019, 04:27 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

... Some newer American and Japanese gasoline engines used EGR well into the 2000s...
My 4Runner is a 2001, so that's probably where I got it from. I appreciate the clarification; Remember, some of us are new to the German car world and don't know any better!!
Old 05-21-2019, 01:57 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
My 4Runner is a 2001, so that's probably where I got it from. I appreciate the clarification; Remember, some of us are new to the German car world and don't know any better!!
No worries---I encounter fellow professional technicians who routinely refer to secondary air injection (SAI) system components as "EGR" and vice versa. It is good to know the difference for your 07K application so you can make informed decisions about what to do with some of the components. vt951, Boost Brothers, et al are producing some amazing components to make this swap doable for many, and we can't give them enough credit for doing so. However, any engine swap involves nitty gritty details about engine management, plumbing, and which subsystems to keep and which to discard, and knowing how the original system works is helpful in such decisions for your application.

I hope to figure out a way to figure out a CA street legal way to join this group!
Old 05-23-2019, 05:28 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No worries---I encounter fellow professional technicians who routinely refer to secondary air injection (SAI) system components as "EGR" and vice versa. It is good to know the difference for your 07K application so you can make informed decisions about what to do with some of the components. vt951, Boost Brothers, et al are producing some amazing components to make this swap doable for many, and we can't give them enough credit for doing so. However, any engine swap involves nitty gritty details about engine management, plumbing, and which subsystems to keep and which to discard, and knowing how the original system works is helpful in such decisions for your application.

I hope to figure out a way to figure out a CA street legal way to join this group!
Well I've been out of the "smog inspection game for a long time! And really you'd need to check with a BAR,station to ask questions. But in general, you can't put a truck engine in a car. The engine in use has to be "certified" for use in cars in America. And the said motor has to retain all the OEM emissions control hooked up and functional.

And I do believe for the first test, it has to go to BAR and be certified and they'll put a sticker of acceptance on it. So that would not be the time to play around with Standalone Engine Management and such. I think AEM is the only Carb certified standalone and I've head those were crap, but I don't know??

So as long as you do your research first, you'll be fine.Or you know move to Dayton NV, as long as your not burning oil ... they don't give a crap.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:38 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
Well I've been out of the "smog inspection game for a long time! And really you'd need to check with a BAR,station to ask questions. But in general, you can't put a truck engine in a car. The engine in use has to be "certified" for use in cars in America. And the said motor has to retain all the OEM emissions control hooked up and functional.

And I do believe for the first test, it has to go to BAR and be certified and they'll put a sticker of acceptance on it. So that would not be the time to play around with Standalone Engine Management and such. I think AEM is the only Carb certified standalone and I've head those were crap, but I don't know??

So as long as you do your research first, you'll be fine.Or you know move to Dayton NV, as long as your not burning oil ... they don't give a crap.
Could also just register the car in Montana like all the super car owners out there
Old 05-23-2019, 06:06 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robstevens
Speaking of short gearing, how compatible will the 07k be with the turbo transaxle in that regard? I have an LS3 996 and that probably the greatest issue with that swap.

Further to do the mileage discussion, the 996 is probably decently aerodynamic, but my tendency to put my foot in it means I never seem to get above 12 mpg....
Number I keep hearing is 450 ftlb of torque before you start twisting the end of the pinion shaft off .
Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hinton
Could also just register the car in Montana like all the super car owners out there
Aww well most "Super cars" can pass smog. And you can only get away with "just visiting" for so long if you happen to get stopped and it's by the same officer. And running an out of state plate, makes you more of a target. .

If the OP is gonna stay in CA. It's best to play by the rules. Get it legally certified first and then "play games" if one feels lucky ... (and thinks there smarter than VW!) . I found that whole episode "amusing" myself. But the authorities ... not so much. And goes to show why "Standalone's" are illegal in Ca.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 AM
Robstevens
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a little under 400.

Last edited by Robstevens; 05-25-2019 at 12:23 AM. Reason: mess
Old 05-25-2019, 12:27 AM
Robstevens
Advanced

Old 05-27-2019, 02:42 AM
lawn_mower
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Issam Abed
Strike 2.

Hi Pot, This is Kettle, .
Not to clutter this thread, but I'm not sure what you think you're accomplishing by trying to call me out? You're grossly misrepresenting our previous interactions, and you're certainly not making yourself look any better with that weird rant. There are numerous people who share the same feelings about you, I'm not alone in what I said previously. What's really a shame is that you do seem to actually have some really nice and unique ideas for parts, that nobody else is out there making. I hope that you've managed to turn it around since we've stopped dealing with you. It's just been mine and my friends experiences that dealing with you has been less than ideal to say the least.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:47 AM
lawn_mower
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robstevens
Speaking of short gearing, how compatible will the 07k be with the turbo transaxle in that regard? I have an LS3 996 and that probably the greatest issue with that swap.

Further to do the mileage discussion, the 996 is probably decently aerodynamic, but my tendency to put my foot in it means I never seem to get above 12 mpg....
How bad was that swap to do/ iron out ? Our 997 race car has lost 2 M97 engines, and we've briefly discussed going the LS swap route.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:53 AM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lawn_mower
How bad was that swap to do/ iron out ? Our 997 race car has lost 2 M97 engines, and we've briefly discussed going the LS swap route.
I have not done the swap, but I know multiple people that have done it on their 944. We lost our M97 as well due to a spun rod bearing. After all of our research, and due to the LS having some inherent oiling issues as well, we decided to build a modified flat 6. There is no question there are some fantastic LS engines out there, but the additional cost and complexity over the advertised kits as well as the potential for having the same type of issues kept us from pulling the trigger.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Robstevens
Advanced

So we don't clog this thread, shoot me a pm with any questions and i will endeavor to answer them objectively. At this point my swap is used as a summer daily, so all the kinks are worked out. There are +/- that are relative to the eye of the beholder, but it ticks a lot of boxes. One thing thats bugs me for example, is the roughness and sound of the LS - others think muscle car chop sounds great. Id rather hear the 07k which is why I closely follow this thread.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:47 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Quick updates:

After a few glitches in the welding process for the bellhousings, I think we may finally have it figured out. We found that there was too much heat concentrated around the starter pocket, causing it to pull up about 0.050" in that area. We had to make some small changes to the design, the fixture, and the process to prevent it from warping. Once I get the first one back from the welder today, we will be test fitting in Mike's car.

We're also working on getting an SLA 3d print of the intake manifold to put on Mike's car, so PE can start building the engine harness and getting it running (naturally aspirated). No word yet on delivery date for the cast aluminum prototype, unfortunately.

On the oil pan, I'm trying to meet with the CNC programmer asap to get the first one machined. This will also be going on Mike's car for PE testing.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread