Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:41 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

@Chris60M8 MS3 tunes are unheard of for this engine, unfortunately. Mike & Alan have leads on a supplier for ECU's that will come pre-loaded with base tunes for stock & boosted however(soon to be developed), so I'm not too worried. The series of MS boards were my first choice too, but now I'm conflicted. Performance Electronics have some quality options, but MS has an extraordinary amount of expansion capability. Really just looking for some guidance from the men in charge at this point. @hinton & @vt951 , I know which ones y'all will be going for, but what are your thoughts on the MS system vs. everything else?
Old 01-27-2019, 08:54 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Dream
What are your plans regarding the cooling system? Will you use the stock compenents or do you plan to make a new thermostat housing / coolant temp sensor housing on the back of the motor?
Personally I don’t have a complete cooling system plan yet. I think I’ll use the factory thermostat and it’s housing on the left/driver side of the engine. The coolant port on the back of the engine does need a fitting that clears the firewall. If JWebber comes up with a good solution, I plan to use that. Otherwise, I’m guessing it will be fairly simple to fabricate a piece.

Last edited by vt951; 01-27-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:38 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
@Chris60M8 MS3 tunes are unheard of for this engine, unfortunately. Mike & Alan have leads on a supplier for ECU's that will come pre-loaded with base tunes for stock & boosted however(soon to be developed), so I'm not too worried. The series of MS boards were my first choice too, but now I'm conflicted. Performance Electronics have some quality options, but MS has an extraordinary amount of expansion capability. Really just looking for some guidance from the men in charge at this point. @hinton & @vt951 , I know which ones y'all will be going for, but what are your thoughts on the MS system vs. everything else?
I have an MS3 for my widebody car and I am selling it to go PE instead. After discussing everything with PE, I believe they have the same functionality with a superior UI and factory support. Alan and I both left feeling very impressed and believing that the support we will receive for development will be unmatched. I’m going to do a video soon of a shop tour and technology overview, and that may help you decide.

traction control? Yup
boost by speed? Yup
electronic boost control? Yup
two step? Yup
flex fuel capable? Yup
meth injection controlling? Yup
VVT capability with development support? Yup
cost effective digital race dash? Yup

its very promising!
Old 01-27-2019, 11:15 PM
Chris60M8
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hinton

I have an MS3 for my widebody car and I am selling it to go PE instead. After discussing everything with PE, I believe they have the same functionality with a superior UI and factory support. Alan and I both left feeling very impressed and believing that the support we will receive for development will be unmatched. I’m going to do a video soon of a shop tour and technology overview, and that may help you decide.

traction control? Yup
boost by speed? Yup
electronic boost control? Yup
two step? Yup
flex fuel capable? Yup
meth injection controlling? Yup
VVT capability with development support? Yup
cost effective digital race dash? Yup

its very promising!
What exactly are you referring to by "PE"?

I've been planning on going MS for a while to control the 2.5, but nothing is in stone, yet, so depending on pricing and packaging, my options are open.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:26 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris60M8
What exactly are you referring to by "PE"?

I've been planning on going MS for a while to control the 2.5, but nothing is in stone, yet, so depending on pricing and packaging, my options are open.
Performance Electronics. That’s the manufacturer of the ECU that we are partnering with.

pe-ltd.com/assets/PE3-8400%20Series%20Flyer.pdf

We will be taking our cars, Turbo and NA to their shop for them to do base maps that we can then share with the rest of the community.

They will also be developing a swap harness for us. The plan is to have integration with their digital race dash or the factory instrument cluster.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:40 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Performance Electronics. That’s the manufacturer of the ECU that we are partnering with.

pe-ltd.com/assets/PE3-8400%20Series%20Flyer.pdf

We will be taking our cars, Turbo and NA to their shop for them to do base maps that we can then share with the rest of the community.

They will also be developing a swap harness for us. The plan is to have integration with their digital race dash or the factory instrument cluster.
All I have to say is WOW, the amount of add on's for a board like this is everything you could ask for. Super convenient that they're located right near you guys too!
Old 01-27-2019, 11:40 PM
Chris60M8
AutoX

I do 12v electrical as my daily living, so the megasquirt has never intimidated me, and I've never really looked for a "Plug & Play" solution, to be honest. I had planned on tuning the 944 2.5 myself, and would not entirely fight the idea with an 07K, either.

I am intrigued to hear about where that goes, but does anyone know if these engines are controllable by Megasquirt? I don't see why they wouldn't/couldn't be.

Either way, I'm all for whatever will make this work in the end. I love the entire concept.

Chris
Old 01-27-2019, 11:43 PM
hinton
Racer

I do 12v electrical as my daily living, so the megasquirt has never intimidated me, and I've never really looked for a "Plug & Play" solution, to be honest. I had planned on tuning the 944 2.5 myself, and would not entirely fight the idea with an 07K, either.

I am intrigued to hear about where that goes, but does anyone know if these engines are controllable by Megasquirt? I don't see why they wouldn't/couldn't be.

Either way, I'm all for whatever will make this work in the end. I love the entire concept.

Chris
Based on my knowledge of MS, there is no reason why it won’t work with these engines. At the end of the day it is up to each person which route to go, we just wanted to create something repeatable to make people’s lives as easy as possible!

With that being said, if you need an MS3, mine is sitting on the shelf waiting for someone to come along with a wad of cash 😂
Old 01-27-2019, 11:43 PM
Chris60M8
AutoX

Hmmm. Upon reading into the PE, further, I do see where you guys are coming from. What an awesome system. I like the idea, definitely. I'm assuming a knock sensor can be hooked up to it somehow through one of those many inputs?

Also, does the 2.5 have a knock sensor? I'd assume so.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
All I have to say is WOW, the amount of add on's for a board like this is everything you could ask for. Super convenient that they're located right near you guys too!
It really is a perfect fit! I ran across them at the PRI show not even knowing they were 5 minutes away from my house. Small world!
Old 01-27-2019, 11:53 PM
hinton
Racer

Hmmm. Upon reading into the PE, further, I do see where you guys are coming from. What an awesome system. I like the idea, definitely. I'm assuming a knock sensor can be hooked up to it somehow through one of those many inputs?

Also, does the 2.5 have a knock sensor? I'd assume so.
It does have knock sensors and the PE ECU has comparability with them. We will be able to ignition tune for peak torque while monitoring knock sensors, pull a couple degrees after finding the limit, and then the ECU will be able to pull timing if there are issues with fuel/heat etc in the real world.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:13 AM
Chris60M8
AutoX

It does have knock sensors and the PE ECU has comparability with them. We will be able to ignition tune for peak torque while monitoring knock sensors, pull a couple degrees after finding the limit, and then the ECU will be able to pull timing if there are issues with fuel/heat etc in the real world.
Hmm. This may be the way to go in the end, even though my heart has been dead-set on the MS for so long. Any clue what the plug in harness will be worth vs. building your own?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:16 AM
hinton
Racer

Hmm. This may be the way to go in the end, even though my heart has been dead-set on the MS for so long. Any clue what the plug in harness will be worth vs. building your own?
Since you are proficient in wiring it would likely be more cost effective to do it yourself. However, tracking down all the correct connectors etc can be a pain. I’m guessing the harness will be around $500, although it depends on what loom / heat shrink we use etc. some of that stuff is $2.50 a foot, crazy. Will also vary drastically based on how many we can have made at one time.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:20 AM
Chris60M8
AutoX

Originally Posted by vt951

Personally I don’t have a complete cooling system plan yet. I think I’ll use the factory thermostat and it’s housing on the left/driver side of the engine. The coolant port on the back of the engine does need a fitting that clears the firewall. If JWebber comes up with a good solution, I plan to use that. Otherwise, I’m guessing it will be fairly simple to fabricate a piece.
I'm curious as to what exactly the issue you're speaking of looks like. (The coolant port issue, I mean)

The engine guru/master fabricator I know has an 07K sitting in his garage right now as far as I'm aware, and may be willing to help come up with something for us.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:37 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

I'm curious as to what exactly the issue you're speaking of looks like. (The coolant port issue, I mean)

The engine guru/master fabricator I know has an 07K sitting in his garage right now as far as I'm aware, and may be willing to help come up with something for us.
I saw what they were talking about earlier when I pulled my 07K for the swap. The coolant port on the back has 3 outputs, and they're all angled outwards. It's designed for the lateral setup for front wheel drive cars, so the ports are made to be accessable. If you were to drop the engine in as it is, the plastic port would hit the firewall, so ideally what we need is a low profile replacement with like a 90° elbow for a hose to hook onto in order to run it back to the radiator. Of course, there's the exhaust to worry about too, because running it on the other side would mean weaving it around the intake, and that side of the bay is already pretty much taken. So there might need to be a metal pipe in place of rubber hose so that nothing melts, but that all depends on your radiator you choose.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread