Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 07:49 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JWebber
EDIT: I suppose we could get him to delete the IMMO and do a compare on the file to learn to do the IMMO Delete but I still would need to recalculate the Check Sum, other wise the ECU will not operate.

My ECU is an AG . I would love to be able to just get the Immo removed and make it function as a standalone for now . I looked into the software and it is no way I would invest that kind of money for stock management .
Depending on how much they would charge for the IMMO delete, I'd be willing to throw down on a bit of that cost. I'm no master coder or "hackerman", but I know my way around a command terminal in both Windows and Linux, as well as most file management systems, and I'd be willing to help in any way possible for something like that. Shoot me a PM
Old 12-26-2018, 06:10 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet but has anyone seen the rally 944 Dave Clark Motorsport is building!? I stumbled on it researching rally 944 chassis setup for, uhhh, certain reasons...

It looks to be an Audi 2.2 I-5 and not the 2.5. He has some great fab work going on and that I-5 makes the engine bay look so spacious! Should be an amazing car once it's finished!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dave-...22951904489512
Old 12-26-2018, 08:52 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Depending on how much they would charge for the IMMO delete, I'd be willing to throw down on a bit of that cost. I'm no master coder or "hackerman", but I know my way around a command terminal in both Windows and Linux, as well as most file management systems, and I'd be willing to help in any way possible for something like that. Shoot me a PM
I`m more of a standalone guy myself . I have no issues with wiring and fitting everything in , I just have no software background . Pretty much all aftermarket standalone systems use dropbox type windows anymore , so you just input all your necessary information about the engine , make a quick fuel and ignition map and you are ready to go to the dyno . Yes , it is a little more than that , but nothing hard . I can pickup a MS3 Pro Evo ECU and harness shipped for under $1300 . For me to even consider the factory setup , since all I would be doing is running it NA for the time being , it would have to cost no more than around $300 .

Last edited by JWebber; 12-27-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:57 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet but has anyone seen the rally 944 Dave Clark Motorsport is building!? I stumbled on it researching rally 944 chassis setup for, uhhh, certain reasons...

It looks to be an Audi 2.2 I-5 and not the 2.5. He has some great fab work going on and that I-5 makes the engine bay look so spacious! Should be an amazing car once it's finished!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dave-...22951904489512
I've been watching it for a while and Dave is local to me. Can't wait to see it in action when it's complete!
It is a standard AAN/2.2L I5 so much easier to do than this swap.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

. I can pickup a MS3 Pro Evo ECU and harness shipped for under $1300 . For me to even consider the factory setup , since all I would be doing is running it NA for the time being , it would have to cost no more the around $300 .
This is sortof what I was getting at. I did some looking around and the amount of work it would take to have the stock ECU for a Jetta work with the 2.5 is mind-numbing. So, don't worry, I'm right there with you. MS3 Pro has the most features and it the most reliably supported from all the standalone's I've found.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:44 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
It is a standard AAN/2.2L I5 so much easier to do than this swap.
...if you can even find one in the US, which you pretty much can't.

Be great to make a sort of motor plate to adapt 07K block to Audi bolt pattern...or just get vt951's BH
Old 12-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Cjar
Instructor

Originally Posted by vt951
Craig,

Moving the engine rearward about 17 mm from where I have it would be tight, but the intake manifold might clear. Looks like you have an early car (based on fuel line routing), so the booster diameter might be a bit smaller than mine, which would help with the clearance to the intake manifold. My guess would be yes, but not guaranteed. The casting wall is 6 mm thick, so there's room to shave some off. Are you sure you don't want to move your engine forward 17 mm and use a pilot bearing adapter? I think it's going to put the timing chain case pretty tight up against the firewall and that coolant fitting will be a bear to get to, among other things.
I had considered moving the engine forward early on, but that excludes the use of the stock oil cooler/filter module and forced the engine lower which removes oil pan clearance. I can look at it again, but the coolant outlet wasn’t insurmountable for me. Not sure if the firewalls are different between early and late cars (mine is 1983). Any chance you would be willing to ship me your test plastic printed parts for a fit up? My booster is the same diameter unfortunately, but I might be able to lean the engine a few more degrees; or I might decide to use your pilot bearing spacer and whole kit if it hits by too much.

Originally Posted by vt951
My 3-piece cross member design has two versions of the removable center section. One version holds the steering rack at the OE position, and the other version drops the rack by 1/2" to help oil pan clearance. All other mounting features (control arms and engine mounts) are in the OE locations. My goal is to design my oil pan to clear the rack in the OE position. The dropped rack mounting provision is sort of a backup plan (and also a product I will be offering to the V8 swap crowd).
Sounds like a good plan, I don’t see many good bump steer correcting kits available. I’m just about to the point of buying 1/2 of your kit, maybe we can work something out? Valve cover, 3-piece crossmember, possibly manifold and oil pans.

Craig
Old 12-28-2018, 03:23 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjar

I had considered moving the engine forward early on, but that excludes the use of the stock oil cooler/filter module and forced the engine lower which removes oil pan clearance. I can look at it again, but the coolant outlet wasn’t insurmountable for me. Not sure if the firewalls are different between early and late cars (mine is 1983). Any chance you would be willing to ship me your test plastic printed parts for a fit up? My booster is the same diameter unfortunately, but I might be able to lean the engine a few more degrees; or I might decide to use your pilot bearing spacer and whole kit if it hits by too much.

Sounds like a good plan, I don’t see many good bump steer correcting kits available. I’m just about to the point of buying 1/2 of your kit, maybe we can work something out? Valve cover, 3-piece crossmember, possibly manifold and oil pans.

Craig
Yes I can ship you the 3D printed part, good idea. Pm me your address.

Sure, we can work something out for a portion of the kit. It’s becoming clear that I’m going to need to move toward a la carte at some point anyway.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:22 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...My ECU is an AG . I would love to be able to just get the Immo removed and make it function as a standalone for now . I looked into the software and it is no way I would invest that kind of money for stock management .
OK, too bad mine is AJ, with IE Stage 2.

I`m more of a standalone guy myself . I have no issues with wiring and fitting everything in , I just have no software background . Pretty much all aftermarket standalone systems use dropbox type windows anymore , so you just input all your necessary information about the engine , make a quick fuel and ignition map and you are ready to go to the dyno . Yes , it is a little more than that , but nothing hard . I can pickup a MS3 Pro Evo ECU and harness shipped for under $1300 . For me to even consider the factory setup , since all I would be doing is running it NA for the time being , it would have to cost no more than around $300 .
Originally Posted by senior_squishy
This is sortof what I was getting at. I did some looking around and the amount of work it would take to have the stock ECU for a Jetta work with the 2.5 is mind-numbing. So, don't worry, I'm right there with you. MS3 Pro has the most features and it the most reliably supported from all the standalone's I've found.
OK, was just trying to help, I'm not familiar with MS3 PRO, if MS3 PRO is the direction you decided to go that's fine.

EDIT: If you guys are through with the Stock VW 07K Intake Manifolds and don't intend on using them I'll take them off your hands and scrap em as I play around with shortening the runners, trying to make a cheap version of the IE Intake Manifold, hobby not a business.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 12-28-2018 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:57 AM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

FYI - we will be partnering with a manufacturer of standalone units. We should be able to offer them with a base map already loaded and potentially a swap harness as well. Stay tuned (get it??? TUNED!) for more.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:50 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Default MY RENNLIST ACCOUNT WAS HACKED!

Do NOT make any payments to anyone at this time. My RL account was hacked by someone who was sending private messages saying to email them at subimon11@yahoo.com. They are trying to collect payments from you all for the Base Kit. If anyone knows who this is, please send information to me asap.

I will not be requesting any payments until after the Jan 1. Mike Hinton will be setting up the online store at boostbrothersgarage.com to make purchases.

Very sorry that this happened. Hopefully, none of you fell for it. I would hope that any payments made were for goods and services (not friends and family) so that PayPal will refund your money.

Alan

Last edited by vt951; 04-11-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:17 AM
JWebber
Racer

I got this yesterday and thought it felt funny . I played along giving as little info as I could . The PayPal address they were wanting the funds to be sent to was Starsrockers@yahoo.com . Sorry if I didn’t say anything faster . I contacted Mike this morning because I was suspicious of the different emails .
Old 12-28-2018, 11:39 AM
JWebber
Racer

I also just reported the account to PayPal as a scam account . Hope they freeze the account like I suggested . Please tell me nobody fell for this 😞
Old 12-28-2018, 11:45 AM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

I also just reported the account to PayPal as a scam account . Hope they freeze the account like I suggested . Please tell me nobody fell for this 😞
Thanks again for bringing this to our attention! Pretty sad that we have to worry about this stuff.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I got this yesterday and thought it felt funny . I played along giving as little info as I could . The PayPal address they were wanting the funds to be sent to was Starsrockers@yahoo.com . Sorry if I didn’t say anything faster . I contacted Mike this morning because I was suspicious of the different emails .
Hey man, thank you so much for reporting this to Mike. I would have had no idea it was going on. I can see in my RL sent messages who he was fishing, but he must have deleted all the replies from my Inbox. I changed my RL password, so hopefully he is cut off. Would be great if we could track him down somehow. Is there a good way to find out who Starsrockers@yahoo.com is?

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread