Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:34 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ECU will function alone , but first it has to have the Immo deleted , Immo being the immobilizer system . This is a system many cars use these days . Some call it VATS , vehicle anti theft system . VW and Audi systems link the ECU , dash cluster and ignition switch key that contains a chip , to all be connected in the vehicle . The sites I have found deal with the older Motronic ME7.1 and ME7.5 systems . Main difference between these 2 are the ME7.5 is the later system that comes with factory wide band O2 . The system that come on the 07k is the Motronic ME17.5 , it is a totally different platform and none of the older softwares work for it . All of the interface software that will work with the ME17.5 is expensive from what I have found . If I have to spend $1000+ on some software ,,,,, I`m just going to go the the MS3 Pro Evo . I have experience using the tuner studio software that works with all the megasquirt platforms . As long as you run a wide band O2 sensor , you can tune the fueling part in real time while driving . You will have to spend a little time on a dyno to fine tune the ignition maps . I am now going to spend my weekend cleaning up and servicing my vintage barhop bike and put it up for sale to just go ahead and fund this project .
Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

It seems like the bellhousing design has been finalized, but is there any possibility of a removable panel like in the 968? Or would this somehow affect the SFI rating?

In addition to making clutch inspections/changes much easier, it would come in handy in the event of a leaking hydraulic throwout bearing/slave cylinder . . . . .
Old 11-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
It seems like the bellhousing design has been finalized, but is there any possibility of a removable panel like in the 968? Or would this somehow affect the SFI rating?

In addition to making clutch inspections/changes much easier, it would come in handy in the event of a leaking hydraulic throwout bearing/slave cylinder . . . . .
Yeah, that removable panel is WONDERFUL. I can't imagine what you 944 guys have to go through when doing a clutch job or flywheel replacement
Old 11-16-2018, 02:39 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83

Design is finalized, but they are not made yet so I'd say it's still possible. I think this would increase the cost. I don't think this would affect the SFI rating as long it the cover panel is the proper thickness and material and it's fastened properly to the bell. I'm not familiar with the 968 bellhousing. Do you have any good pics showing the removable panel? I will look into it and if it makes sense I'll check with Quick Time to confirm the SFI rating.

How are you thinking it would help with servicing the slave? It's a concentric style one so you'd still have to pull the engine or the torque tube to replace it. But I think they are pretty bullet proof so it shouldn't be a common failure.

For clutch inspections, I wonder if it could be done through the starter hole (you'd have to remove the starter, but that should be really easy).
Old 11-16-2018, 05:48 PM
JWebber
Racer

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
Yeah, that removable panel is WONDERFUL. I can't imagine what you 944 guys have to go through when doing a clutch job or flywheel replacement
That is why the labor to do a clutch is like 28 hours or something .
Old 11-17-2018, 11:14 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JWebber
That is why the labor to do a clutch is like 28 hours or something .
Well, hopefully since the Pontiac Solstice slave cylinder is self bleeding (closed system, no bleeder valve), servicing shouldn't be needed that often unless you manage to destroy a disk in a couple of days; in that case you might want to consider getting an automatic, or just stop doing red-line lauches at every stop light 😂
Old 11-17-2018, 12:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

even if the BH isn't a 2-piece design, vt951's turbo layout will take a LOT of the work out of the 951 clutch job (dealing with the exhaust).

random data point but when i pulled the engine out of my NA car in july, i had the exhaust+trans on the ground and the torque tube pulled back out of the bellhousing in about an hour.
this is on stands on the floor of my garage, no lift or air tools or anything.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:10 PM
JWebber
Racer

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Well, hopefully since the Pontiac Solstice slave cylinder is self bleeding (closed system, no bleeder valve), servicing shouldn't be needed that often unless you manage to destroy a disk in a couple of days; in that case you might want to consider getting an automatic, or just stop doing red-line lauches at every stop light 😂
I bought my car with a busted clutch , so that was the first thing I had to do before I got to drive it . I have already been looking on the Spec site , I will be going stage 3 for sure .
Old 11-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
even if the BH isn't a 2-piece design, vt951's turbo layout will take a LOT of the work out of the 951 clutch job (dealing with the exhaust).

random data point but when i pulled the engine out of my NA car in july, i had the exhaust+trans on the ground and the torque tube pulled back out of the bellhousing in about an hour.
this is on stands on the floor of my garage, no lift or air tools or anything.
This is a good point, the 951 crossover pipe is the worst part of the whole job.

I really need to figure out a way to do this in CA . . . . if I can I am all in.

And yes, I wasn't sure if you had to slide the torque tube back to remove the hydraulic TOB . . . .
Old 11-19-2018, 12:25 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

With Black Friday/Cyber Monday coming up, is there any parts that we should be looking for on our own that we could maybe hunt for a deal on? Deals on car parts are kind of hit or miss but you never know.

From memory these are the items that are going to part of this kit as it's developed:
- Custom intake/SPA turbo exhaust manifold
- Engine mounts & 3 conversion parts from iAbed
- Bellhousing
- Clutch/flywheel setup (will this work for the TTRS 8 bolt forged crank? I thought there was a 6 bolt forged crank, maybe on early engines, but can't remember where in the thread it was mentioned)

That seems to cover most of the necessities to get the engine in in the car but if there is anything we will need to source ourselves it would be good to know. Otherwise it's just trying to find deals on the performance parts we want
Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese
With Black Friday/Cyber Monday coming up, is there any parts that we should be looking for on our own that we could maybe hunt for a deal on? Deals on car parts are kind of hit or miss but you never know.

From memory these are the items that are going to part of this kit as it's developed:
- Custom intake/SPA turbo exhaust manifold
- Engine mounts & 3 conversion parts from iAbed
- Bellhousing
- Clutch/flywheel setup (will this work for the TTRS 8 bolt forged crank? I thought there was a 6 bolt forged crank, maybe on early engines, but can't remember where in the thread it was mentioned)

That seems to cover most of the necessities to get the engine in in the car but if there is anything we will need to source ourselves it would be good to know. Otherwise it's just trying to find deals on the performance parts we want
Yes, those are most of the things I will be making/selling. A new online store is being put together now with Boost Brothers Garage that will list all of these parts. I expect that in less than a month, that will be up a running with all of these items for sale. In addition to the items you mentioned, I will also offer an oil pan and pilot bearing adapter.

I designed the bellhousing around the following parts:
- SPEC aluminum flywheel from VW Golf Gen IV 1.8T 6-spd *** or TTRS if you are swapping in that 8-bolt crankshaft ***
- SPEC pressure plate from VW Golf Gen IV 1.8T 6-spd
- SPEC clutch disk from 944 turbo
- Starter for VW 02M 6-spd trans
- Pilot bearing from VW 02M 6-spd trans
- My custom designed pilot bearing adapter (due to difference in driveshaft stub length of 02M vs. 944)
- GM #24234308 or #24249824 release bearing

I sent SPEC an email asking about whether there is a version of the flywheel with 8 holes to fit the TTRS crank. I'll report back when I get a reply. I'm sure that if there isn't an existing product, they will make a new version with 8 holes.
***** Reply from SPEC: " Yes, we already make that flywheel with the TTRS pattern." *****

Maybe look for Black Friday deals on a turbo or engine management? I went with a Garrett G25-660 reverse rotation. If you go with the SPA turbo manifold, the reverse rotation turbo fits nice. I'll be making a little adapter to go from their t3 flange to the Garrett 2.5" v-band inlet.

Last edited by vt951; 11-19-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 PM
JWebber
Racer

I am going to find the necessary little bits to connect things like the clutch ,,,, that is unless somebody is going to be making a conversion line . I found this little fitting , https://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/LS641001ERL/10002/-1 . I have also been looking at how to run the radiator coolant lines . Seems to me the best route would be the driver side . I`m going to look and see if I can find a suitable universal radiator through Griffins site . There are a lot of little things that will creep up in this swap . I`ll do my best to have an answer when the time comes .
Old 11-19-2018, 09:28 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Finally some good news on the bellhousings... Holley confirmed they have pricing. They can't share it with me until it is approved up the chain, but at least it's moving. Something happened!
Old 11-20-2018, 03:24 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qusserel
Friends, I want to buy a comfortable car for joint family trips to other regions. Our car for this has ceased to be comfortable after the birth of the second baby. What option can you advise? Where better to make a purchase?
Definitely an 07K 944
Old 11-20-2018, 05:50 PM
JWebber
Racer

Ok,,,,,,, who left the door open ?

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread