Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 06:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

good work. $400 or so isn't too bad for a "bolt on" hi-po manifold...and i bet if you trim the heat shields it looks super cool inside too.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:09 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EastEnd944
I should probably start another thread, but there was talk of doing this earlier in this thread so I thought I'd confirm the myth. After searching for exhaust manifolds I decided on purchasing a left side exhaust manifold off a 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder with 40K miles for just under 300 shipped. It came in decent condition however aesthetically it wasn't doing so great. I took the time to clean it with a wire brush and polish it to a decent shine. In terms of fitment all the studs fit except for one, the rear lower stud. To get it to fit all I had to do was grind the flange about .25in, and will be adding a large washer to secure it. The v-band sticks out ~1.5in from the front of the head. I'm hoping to be able to connect the turbo to it with a v-band to T3 adapter and have the turbo fit behind the passenger side headlight, however I may have to change that when it comes time to dropping the engine in. I won't be able to do any true fitment until I have the engine out of my 944, but from the looks of it the Lamborghini manifold will work quite well if you can find one that's reasonably priced. Don't mind the current state of the engine itself, I will certainly be cleaning up and also painting what I can.
That looks awesome, nice work
Old 10-28-2018, 11:26 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

on that note, I wonder if Gallardo (or the Audi models that used a V10 variant too) valve cover would work?

looks like some can be found cheap on ebay UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lamborghi...QAAOSwj2Ra6HoO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A6-S...QAAOSwVWFaoWJQ
Old 10-28-2018, 05:28 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
good work. $400 or so isn't too bad for a "bolt on" hi-po manifold...and i bet if you trim the heat shields it looks super cool inside too.
Originally Posted by vt951
That looks awesome, nice work
Thank you. Altogether cost me $325 plus a day of my time, considering my other options I definitely consider it being worth the effort. Also, I was actually wondering about trimming the heat shield myself as well but ended up deciding on polishing it instead because of it being aluminum.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
on that note, I wonder if Gallardo (or the Audi models that used a V10 variant too) valve cover would work?

looks like some can be found cheap on ebay UK.
I looked into that a little at the same time I was looking into the exhaust. From what I've read on the VW forums they are very similar but the Gallardo cover will not directly bolt up to the inline 5 due to the location of the bolt holes being slightly different on both models. If I can find a Gallardo valve cover for a low enough price I might test the fitment myself, and see if it can be installed with some minor modification. From what I could tell it hadn't actually been attempted, but that could also be for good reason. Although, I would like to know for certain because it could possibly be an alternative to a machined cover.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:43 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

It looks to me like the gallardo valve cover will be too high to fit under the hood. But, if you are up for a hood bump or scoop, then that wouldn’t be an issue.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:46 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics of the SPA Turbo manifold for anyone who’s weighing the options between this and the gallardo one.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty cool stuff

Edited: Didn't know there were threads on the block for the lower manifold holes, so I had concerns about the Lambo one not holding pressure.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:59 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I’ve made some changes to the engine mount design so that they will work with iAbed’s oil adapter block, added some additional reinforcement, and moved the engine down a little bit to clear the hood (with iAbed’s billet valve cover).

I’m going to order a set of this new mount bracket design now. After I get them in and confirmed the fitment, I will offer them for sale (probably through Boost Brothers Garage website if he gets it all set up). If anyone is interested in them, please let me know (pm please). That will help me determine what quantity of pieces to laser cut. I anticipate the cost to be in the neighborhood of $300 for the set including powder coating, rubber isolators, and all hardware.

Anyone who has already put down a $100 deposit for the bellhousing, if you would like to apply that deposit towards these engine mounts, just let me know. Sorry the bellhousing has dragged on for so long... it’s driving me nuts that I still don’t have pricing from Quick Time (due to hold up at Holley).

** Keeping track of those who want the engine mounts:
Chiwawa444
RoyaleWithCheese
senior_squishy
ChaseAlberti
alxdgr8

Last edited by vt951; 11-01-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:26 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These bellhousings will not be something that Quick Time or their retail distributors (like JEGS) are going to stock, if that's what you're asking. But, my plan is to continue to offer these bellhousings in the future. In order to get them for a reasonable price, I have to order them in batches of 10 to 20 at a time. There will likely be more group buys to accomplish that, until I get to the point of pre-buying and stocking them. I'm still taking pre-orders for the first bellhousing group buy if you want in.

Mike "Boost Brothers Garage" is a friend of mine and I think he's going to be the exclusive sales channel for this kit. He's offered to put together the web site, as well as videos showing the installation process, and he's already doing the social media stuff (which I'm clueless about). He's been a huge help getting the word out.
Sounds good . I`ll email you on Friday to get in on the group buy . Been paying for some classes lately , coming from a guy that is 45 years old , sounds funny . I will be in touch soon and thank you for all the effort you have put into this .
Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 PM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve made some changes to the engine mount design so that they will work with iAbed’s oil adapter block, added some additional reinforcement, and moved the engine down a little bit to clear the hood (with iAbed’s billet valve cover).

I’m going to order a set of this new mount bracket design now. After I get them in and confirmed the fitment, I will offer them for sale (probably through Boost Brothers Garage website if he gets it all set up). If anyone is interested in them, please let me know (pm please). That will help me determine what quantity of pieces to laser cut. I anticipate the cost to be in the neighborhood of $300 for the set including powder coating, rubber isolators, and all hardware.

Anyone who has already put down a $100 deposit for the bellhousing, if you would like to apply that deposit towards these engine mounts, just let me know. Sorry the bellhousing has dragged on for so long... it’s driving me nuts that I still don’t have pricing from Quick Time (due to hold up at Holley).

** Keeping track of those who want the engine mounts:
Chiwawa444
RoyaleWithCheese
senior_squishy
ChaseAlberti
I will get in on this one as well . Just let me know how much money up front you would like .
Old 10-31-2018, 10:27 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by EastEnd944
I should probably start another thread, but there was talk of doing this earlier in this thread so I thought I'd confirm the myth. After searching for exhaust manifolds I decided on purchasing a left side exhaust manifold off a 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder with 40K miles for just under 300 shipped. It came in decent condition however aesthetically it wasn't doing so great. I took the time to clean it with a wire brush and polish it to a decent shine. In terms of fitment all the studs fit except for one, the rear lower stud. To get it to fit all I had to do was grind the flange about .25in, and will be adding a large washer to secure it. The v-band sticks out ~1.5in from the front of the head. I'm hoping to be able to connect the turbo to it with a v-band to T3 adapter and have the turbo fit behind the passenger side headlight, however I may have to change that when it comes time to dropping the engine in. I won't be able to do any true fitment until I have the engine out of my 944, but from the looks of it the Lamborghini manifold will work quite well if you can find one that's reasonably priced. Don't mind the current state of the engine itself, I will certainly be cleaning up and also painting what I can.
Very nice, I've had this exact idea for a few years now but hadn't gotten around to buying one yet. Was planning on making a small billet clamping block for the misaligned exhaust stud.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:18 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

I’ve worked some better pricing with iAbed, but will need to buy in quantity of 10 to get to a discount that I think we all need. It’s going to be a good chunk of cash, but I’m willing to do it if there are enough people interested that I won’t be sitting on these parts for a long time. His previously quoted prices added up to $964 (would have been better if it was $944).

Any takers if I offered a package deal with his 3 items as well as my engine mounts and all hardware bundled together for $990 (plus actual shipping cost)? I will pack everything in one box to keep the shipping cost as low as possible.

Just gauging interest at this point... no payments needed up front. *EDIT* In hindsight, $990 was impossibly low to make any profit. I took a considerable loss on these first 10 kits.

Last edited by vt951; 04-11-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Any opinions on this logo for the manifolds?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

is that rendering with an as-cast finish, or some kind of coating?

having watched this thread for a long time i might be inclined to do this swap if my 944 engine blows up (again).
in that case i'd probably shave off that logo on my own car.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:20 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve worked some better pricing with iAbed, but will need to buy in quantity of 10 to get to a discount that I think we all need. It’s going to be a good chunk of cash, but I’m willing to do it if there are enough people interested that I won’t be sitting on these parts for a long time. His previously quoted prices added up to $964 (would have been better if it was $944).

Any takers if I offered a package deal with his 3 items as well as my engine mounts and all hardware bundled together for $990 (plus actual shipping cost)? I will pack everything in one box to keep the shipping cost as low as possible.

Just gauging interest at this point... no payments needed up front.

Count me in on this

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread