E85 and Injectors??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks David. Unfortunatly they're about 45% too small for my application but glad to hear you've had good experience at least on your car. :-)
They can custom make a size you need, would 2150cc work ?

Some info from the site on E85 usage

E85:

This fuel is now commonly available for use in stock road vehicles and is therefore “approved” for use without modification in today’s fuel systems. However, in the performance world we need to take a few extra precautions since we do a few things differently than the typical soccer mom.

1) An important thing to remember is that E85 is 85% ethanol; Alcohol based fuels (like ethanol) are hygroscopic (see technical data). That means that if the fuel stands for a while, it will draw water from the air and potentially start corroding (rusting) parts that are not protected. In any injector it is necessary for some of the internal parts to be made of ferrous metals since the electromagnet would not be able to open the valve if it were non-ferrous. These ferrous parts can corrode (rust) if not protected. Under normal conditions enough fuel flows through the system to expel the water and let the 15% gasoline do its job of both lubricating and protecting the internal parts against corrosion. If a vehicle is only run occasionally or the injectors are removed from the sealed fuel system, the injector parts can be exposed to conditions they are not designed for and cause the injector to lock up or change the flow rate.

Under most circumstances we are able to clean these injectors and return them to their proper operating condition, but in some cases the effects can be terminal (see 2150cc care).

2) It has come to our attention that the ethanol in the E85 dissolves some of the buildup (lacquer) that gasoline leaves behind in a fuel system (this includes the whole fuel supply chain, refinery tanks, tanker trucks and gas station tanks) and carries these solids in suspension all the way through the fuel system (including through all types of common fuel filters). As a result, these solids interact with the gasses and other suspended chemicals in the intake to form solid deposits. These deposits manifest themselves in a “black goo” (glue like substance) on the injector nozzle and in the intake tract. Over time this buildup can cause the injectors spray pattern to change and eventually blocks some of the flow out of the injector.
While these deposits can be removed by our cleaning system, you want to be keenly aware of this issue (especially if you have recently switched to E85) to make sure you do not damage your engine as the injector flow decreases.

While we have not found a definite cure for this issue, you can try some of this DIY advice with which some of our customers have had success:

-Run a tank of gasoline every 2-3 months to dissolve the buildup.
-Run fuel cleaners to dissolve and remove the deposits (limited success reported here!)
-Clean the fuel tip of the injectors with brake cleaner after identifying buildup during visual inspection. This works when the buildup is only external and is only influencing the spray pattern. By the time the buildup is internal and the flow is inhibited by buildup on the valve seat, this type of cleaning will no longer be effective.

As an additional step to the item above, you can try to pulse the injector (use a 9V battery – see “Can I check whether my injectors are working myself?”) while forcing the brake cleaner through the open injector in the normal direction of fuel flow (you do not want to get more gunk into the valve by back-flowing!) Try this at your own risk! We always suggest a professional cleaning (like those offered by FIC), but we understand sometimes that is not possible.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Thanks David
Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

As discussed off the forum I really think the huge issues you had last season was with that specific fuel. Gumming up will eventually happen with E85 and that's why even car manufacturers with E85 cars suggests to run a tank of regular gasoline every now and then.

I always use a Redline alcohol fuel lubrication additive and it reduces it somewhat. My Bosch 2200 cc high imp (the same injector as ID2000) handled the past season without any hickup but they have gum and sludge buildup after only half a season so they will be cleaned before next season.

But the Bosch 2200cc / ID2000 officially can't handle MTBE (even though there is some MTBE in the pumpe E85 here in Sweden). I found another type of injector that is 2400 cc that specifically can handle MTBE but they are low impendance. I will send you some more info.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 AM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the Lucas E85 additive in my GTR and CTS V every 3-4 fill ups. Not sure if it helps but never have issues with gumming or clogged nozzle sprays, etc..

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...%20Stabilizers

I too am looking to make the switch to E85 on my 997.1TT.
Does anyone use a catch can or AOS on their P-cars ? It's fairly common practice in the GTR world as well Subarus but unsure with Porsches.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM
blown 944
Race Car

I use a pretty large catch can, and if I don't drain it regularly, I will end up with a couple qts of fuel in it. Often thought about just putting it back in the tank lol.

Nice cars, I see a couple of your compadres once in awhile. Steve with a well built GTR, and a guy out of NM with a quick ctsv that is maroon. If you ever get up to Bandimere look me up. Generally on wednsdays.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know they are too small, but daily driving the CA car on E85 about six months now with the M-Tune and no issues at all, maybe Josh will chime in as well. Bob Boyer swears by Five-O custom injectors which is what I have on the FL car. Can make no claims on those yet. You can order any size or flow rate you want from Five-O though and also spec out E-85. Might be worth a look!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I should also mention that the CA car ran four months on E-85 then I parked it for 18 months while in Bangkok. It sat in the garage with nothing but Stabil additive in the tank. I refilled the tank and have been driving it ever since! How is that for long "sit" time.

Quick Reply: E85 and Injectors??