Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
My "choice" of 7k rpm and 30psi was slightly exaggerated, and I appreciate your effort in trying to defend the GTX3582R, but your dots do make my point (and Duke's, as far as I can tell) that this turbo is not going to offer enough "area under the curve" to justify its top end. Just thought I would mention this since you seemed pretty much sensitive to "area under the curve" when discussing intake runner length. That is of course when knowing that plotting the rpm limit on the middle of the highest efficiency map is not the best practice when choosing a compressor.
See more dots and lines posted above... Again - we are only looking at the compressor curves - and I still like the area under the curve for the GTX3582 compressor. I also like the area under the curve for the real world dyno results....nothing exaggerated there!

What you say here is a bit ironic, as it looks like I may not be the only one drawing inaccurate conclusions on a turbo I have not tested...
For your information, the GTX3076R does not run roll off at all up top, quite the opposite actually, and that is with zero head work, only a 9R cam, but with a short runner intake. It hated the stock intake btw.
Is that opinion based on real testing or butt dyno results? I have heard that things can get exaggerated on occasion, I prefer to look at actual test data!
From our previous discussions you made the point that you liked an engine that was mostly top end performance and that was your goal. Did something change or are you just into taking contradictory positions?

I was quoting blitz to make the point that his turbo could very well be, as his post sounded, a HTA3582R. As for his reference to Tial, and as I ignored that Tial made any kind of turbo wheels, I took it as a reference to the Tial stainless turbine housing, which, as Duke suggested, is what most people may know about Tial these days after wastegates and BOVs.
I did post, several times, in that thread that is was a "Tial turbo", and yes, Blitz also posted incorrectly that it was an HTA version...but that was all cleared up. I guess I just assumed that listers would understand that I built the motor so I might just know what parts were used. I would also have to add the many listers wouldn't know what an HTA turbo was....its another modified Garret GT35 just like the Tial turbo. It uses the Garrett GT center section and adds their own compressor wheel....just like Tial did.

In reality I don't know why you find it to be a big deal - the turbos are very similar.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
Thanks for the perspective Chris it's highly appreciated.

I'll be running the SFR intake with 70mm TB & as this car is only going to be used either at the track & driving to & from the track I can live with some softness down low if it means I have more mid to top end.
Tim
You need to come up with a good way of dealing with the 70mm throttle body....or the street part of the driving will be very annoying!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
You need to come up with a good way of dealing with the 70mm throttle body....or the street part of the driving will be very annoying!
55mm restrictor plate in front of it
Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Chris I'm hoping that sequential injection (Clewett cam trigger gear) & the Vi-Pec V88 which has 5D fuel mapping & can operate off MAP or a combo of MAP & TPS might smooth out the idle & low end.
I'm going with coil on plug (probably some kind of LS coils).
I've gone with Tim's Stage 2 fuel system & figured sequential might help the idle with bigger injectors & that the Tial BOV might also stabilise the idle somewhat.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Chris I'm hoping that sequential injection (Clewett cam trigger gear) & the Vi-Pec V88 which has 5D fuel mapping & can operate off MAP or a combo of MAP & TPS might smooth out the idle & low end.
I'm going with coil on plug (probably some kind of LS coils).
I've gone with Tim's Stage 2 fuel system & figured sequential might help the idle with bigger injectors & that the Tial BOV might also stabilise the idle somewhat.
Is this the engine you've been threatening to build since 2010 Pengui, You've been talking about doing one longer than me .
Old 01-15-2014, 04:28 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

See more dots and lines posted above... Again - we are only looking at the compressor curves - and I still like the area under the curve for the GTX3582 compressor. I also like the area under the curve for the real world dyno results....nothing exaggerated there!

Is that opinion based on real testing or butt dyno results? I have heard that things can get exaggerated on occasion, I prefer to look at actual test data!
From our previous discussions you made the point that you liked an engine that was mostly top end performance and that was your goal. Did something change or are you just into taking contradictory positions?
I am not contradicting myself anymore than you are contradicting yourself, talking about the importance of "area under the curve" in another thread then choosing an oversized turbo here.

You plotting shows (again) that the GTX3076R is the better choice than the GTX3582R. Again, plotting the rpm limit on the middle of the efficiency islands, which is where you want your peak VE (thus peak torque) is an incorrect way to proceed. If you used such a compressor as a supercharger configuration it may make sense, but this is not the case here.

As Duke suggested a few % of efficiency is peanuts compared to how much you lose in area under the curve. With your oversized GTX3582R, you are wasting the "right side" of the map you are not covering, which is where the compressor flows most.

Playing with intake and cam profile will have a lot more impact on the type of power delivery (mid range vs top end performance, etc) than trying to fight against a turbo that was not sized correctly in the first place.
A properly-sized turbo, such as the GTX3076R for a 3L engine, will shine both in mid range and top end depending on intake and cam profile. That is based on testing and clocking a running car on the road, where the load on the engine will always be more relevant than loading a car on a dyno.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Blade - tell me about it! I'm embarassed with how long this has been taking!

I now have everything except for a few SFR parts which Tim is due to send in the next week or two - I received most of my order from him last week.
It's been very expensive getting everything together - Guard LSD, KEP Clutch, Spec flywheel, Elephant Racing kit, Leda coilovers, Tarrett ARBS, Raceware stud kits, pistons & rods, Drysump kit including Pace oil tank, intercooler, oil cooler, radiator,Big Brake kit, 18" hollow spoke twists & "R" compound tyres, various bearings, gaskets, switches, hoses, tranny & engine mounts, ECU & sensors, turbo, WG, BOV, braces, extinguisher mounts, intake, headers, etc.

I've had no choice but to spread the cost over time, especially as house restoration & the birth of a daughter (needing a full-time nanny) have intervened.

Also in that time the car got two new front wings - it certainly needed one as the parking brake didn't hold it & it rolled through a picket fence & into a field!

You know how expensive it is to build/modify a car in the UK - that's why so few people do it with high performance marques such as Porsche.
I'm now just waiting for the cylinder head, cam, exhaust (from the cat bypass back), fuel pump & fuel pressure gauge.

Wiring harness might be a challenge & I'm thinking about new CV joints before sending my spreadsheet to the guys I've lined up to do the work.

How's your build progressing? I opted to stay away from a 3 litre & invest in the drysump instead. The costs can quickly career out of control.
Tim
Old 01-15-2014, 06:01 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Duke, for a 2.5 litre running 8:1, but with a worked N/A head, 274 cam (.480" lift) & Wossner rods & pistons - would you recommend a GTX3071R with a/r 0.82 or something bigger/smaller? Usage is a dual purpose car which can be driven considerable distances to the track - kinda like a 951 version of a GT3.

Apologies for the hijack - just trying to pick a few brains!
Tim
I would not do the 0.82 T3 a/r turbine housing for a 2.5l. I've tested it in the past and the lag is very obvious. So go down to a 0.63 and either do the GTX3071R or the GTX2867R. The latter would be a quicker car in autocross and have a more modern, GT3, feel to power delivery.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

. The costs can quickly career out of control.
Tim
Yup..

Chris White: a little offtopic but what is that bart 8L turbo you have in your signature? Sounds scary
Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Blade - tell me about it! I'm embarassed with how long this has been taking!

How's your build progressing? I opted to stay away from a 3 litre & invest in the drysump instead. The costs can quickly career out of control.
Tim
My 3.0 build stalled because I'd been haggling for months with the owner of the car that had Diver944's 3.2 engine fitted, in the end we were £1k apart and someone else bought it. So, I have the 2.7 engine, S2 crank, Carrillo rods and a big turbo, need pistons, MAF kit, exhaust, clutch, but my 2.5 with just a Lindsey L2 kit is flying so motivation to spend and pull it to bits is low at the moment. May end up sticking a MAF and the turbo on the 2.5 for this year.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I am not contradicting myself anymore than you are contradicting yourself, talking about the importance of "area under the curve" in another thread then choosing an oversized turbo here.
OK, so we are having a little 'fun' bench racing - but in the end I have empirical proof that the GTX3582 (tial) works quite well on a 3.0 and the 'area under the curve' is just about as good as it gets.
Past results include 350 ft lbs @ 12 psi at the rear wheels on a 8v as well as 600hp at the crank on a 3.1 16v at 15 psi. Documented real results.

I also think that the 3076 will work fine as well, I am not saying that the 35 is greatly superior to the 30, just that the 35 will preform very nicely and leave you 'headroom' to run more boost and/or higher rpm.

in the end the testing is done...it works and its works well.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Voith
Yup..

Chris White: a little offtopic but what is that bart 8L turbo you have in your signature? Sounds scary
congratulations - you are the first to ask about that!!! I wondered how long it would take for somebody to notice it.

Its a Barth motorhome built in 1985, very high end at the time (nice match for the 944!). The funny thing is that the layout is very similar to a 930 - turbo charged rear engine with a trailing arm torsion bar suspension. Very uncommon for a 35' motorhome!
The body is all aluminum construction with hand riveted panels.
8 liter turbo diesel running 15psi of boost.

Its a great way to tow a track car and relax at the track between sessions. I 'camp' out at many tracks for weekend events.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by blade7
Is this the engine you've been threatening to build since 2010 Pengui, You've been talking about doing one longer than me .
in that case it really fits in this thread - my 968 cab was last on the road in 2010....its taken me that long to get this done too!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2010!, I wish it had only been that long, tore my FL car apart in 2001!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Its a Barth motorhome built in 1985, very high end at the time.
Awesome motorhome. 8.2 td @ 15psi... Sounds like tank engine. How much torque does it produce?

Any interior pics?

Btw: Since there is all this turbo talk, what do you think about 7200 K27#8 on 3.0 8v engine (stock 951 headers&crossover)? Would this make a good combination for street car with (very) few track sessions?

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
2010!, I wish it had only been that long, tore my FL car apart in 2001!
We could form a club. My is in parts from 07.

Quick Reply: Just another 968 turbo...