Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just another 968 turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:52 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
My favorite way of debunking the 'must have belt covers' myth is to point out that the PS and Alt/AC belts do not have covers and are located much closer to where any road debris might be a factor - and those belts do not suffer from a massive amount of failures from debris!

Uncovered belts are much better for belt cooling, observation of any deterioration of the belts and my favorite - fixing any leaks. With no belt covers I can fix a balance shaft seal leak in an hour (or less), with belt covers it takes 5 times as much time - as long as you correctly guess where the leak is coming from because you can't see it until the rear belt cover is removed!
Exactly well said.

Oddly enough my use of polished parts comes from years at the track. It is much easier to keep a polished aluminum part looking good that any other finish. Raw aluminum castings have a surface texture that just sucks up dirt. powder coating looks great to start with - but loses its finish when exposed to fuel and some cleaning chemicals. Once the powder coated finish gets damaged there is no way to fix it other than taking the part off, striping it and redoing the powder coating.

polished aluminum just takes a minute with the aluminum polish to bring it back to new.

I remember that several years ago there were a bunch of listers that were powder coating their blocks...made me cringe then and I wonder how they look now!!
Oh i hear you on that, but i really think it has to do with you real mustang owners the older generation of course haha. My dad picks polished parts any day over anything i get reminded every time my dad looks under the hood.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
Oh i hear you on that, but i really think it has to do with you real mustang owners the older generation of course haha. My dad picks polished parts any day over anything i get reminded every time my dad looks under the hood.
Real Mustang Owners don't polish it, they chrome plate it!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Incredible work. What kind of piston/bore did you use? Nikasil?

I had the same idea of modifying the stock cluster with digital boost controller in place of standard turbo boost gauge.

Btw: if the led numbers will be too bright to look at night, use a piece of exposed & developed camera film over it. It looks great and dims the light down so it is not intrusive.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks great! A lot of details in there for sure. Appearance suitable for a nice looking cab and more than enough power.
But I wouldn't fire it up before putting a lid on the Variocam hole on the cam cover Oh and I would add a cam sensor too
Old 01-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Voith
Incredible work. What kind of piston/bore did you use? Nikasil?

I had the same idea of modifying the stock cluster with digital boost controller in place of standard turbo boost gauge.

Btw: if the led numbers will be too bright to look at night, use a piece of exposed & developed camera film over it. It looks great and dims the light down so it is not intrusive.
A quick and easy way to do the same thing is Brake Light Lens repair film. Its translucent Red and sticky! The numbers on the display are red so it won't change the coloring.

I probably won't have to do that since the eboost2 has an ambient light detector and it will adjust the brightness automatically.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Duke
Looks great! A lot of details in there for sure. Appearance suitable for a nice looking cab and more than enough power.
But I wouldn't fire it up before putting a lid on the Variocam hole on the cam cover Oh and I would add a cam sensor too
Duke - you are '1 for 2' on picking up details!

I have to machine up the variocam cover....if you look to the right of the intake cam gear you can find the cam position sensor!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:49 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

very nice work.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those coils look a bit different from Electromotive's. Using a different ECU?
No check valve is needed in the line from the intake manifold to that vacuum manifold?
TPS?

Nice work...!!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Duke - you are '1 for 2' on picking up details!

I have to machine up the variocam cover....if you look to the right of the intake cam gear you can find the cam position sensor!
Do you run cam and crank position sensors or just cam?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you look close you can see that the coolant reservoir is not quite stock. It has been converted to AN fittings and the stock hose port actually feeds the turbo coolant pump and the line from the cross over pipe feeds and new AN fitting on the bottom of the tank.
Oh wow, I didn't even notice that AN fitting on the reservoir. How did you do that? The only way I can think of would be cutting the plastic back a bit so that you expose the brass(?) support and then braze a fitting onto that. Am I overthinking this?

What kind of turbo do you have tucked away in there?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
Oh wow, I didn't even notice that AN fitting on the reservoir. How did you do that? The only way I can think of would be cutting the plastic back a bit so that you expose the brass(?) support and then braze a fitting onto that. Am I overthinking this?

What kind of turbo do you have tucked away in there?
heat up the tank and jam that fitting in there?

or glue it in place?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks amazing!! Ive heard bad things about the aluminum pins in the aerocatch (fatigue/breaking). I replaced mine with a steel pin, of course I only have 1 in the middle so 2 is a nicer safety net
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

SFR polished the valve cover about 5 years ago (before Lart started polishing stuff)!
My polished parts are guarantee to give you extra 15hp, lol. Nice very nice Chris my type of Bling
Old 01-10-2014, 08:53 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and those belts do not suffer from a massive amount of failures from debris!

Uncovered belts are much better for belt cooling, observation of any deterioration of the belts and my favorite - fixing any leaks. With no belt covers I can fix a balance shaft seal leak in an hour (or less), with belt covers it takes 5 times as much time - as long as you correctly guess where the leak is coming from because you can't see it until the rear belt cover is removed!
With all due respect, they fail a lot more than the timing belt, we just don't hear or even think about it.

ZOMG! MY POWER STEERING BELT IS SLIPPING! sounds kind of funny.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

It that Wizard with or without the oil cooler? My coolant temp is ok, but my oil temp always runs high. Looking for a solution.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Just another 968 turbo...