Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just another 968 turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 04:48 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Now I know what has been taking your time! Looks great Chris, makes me want to do more with mine. Unfortunately, I don't have your skills. That is an amazing amount of power for 1 bar. I'm not familiar with the newest Haltech ECU's but their older stuff didn't have the stablest ignition. For me on a big build I would still go with MoTec as they seem to be the leaders and have great support.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I am out there all the time. We are doing a high profile politicians house out there by the course. In fact, I have to drive thru it to get to the house. Yes very sad it is gone. Rich neighbors can wreck everything.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:59 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Come on Chris...I think you could do better...
Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
The GTX35 works well on 3+ liter engines, I would go with the 30 for anything smaller.
It will absolutely work well on a 3l but it's more a matter of displacement and boost and for most 3l in this community a smaller GTX turbo would gain response without sacrifying any power.

As Thom writes the GTX models are a step "larger" than their corresponding GT models and have a slighly bigger turbo lag.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Come on Chris...I think you could do better...
Ok, I'll scrap the whole project and start again.....
Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 944Phil
This looks amazing. I really like the vacuum manifold setup.
Why are there two solenoids on the vacuum manifold? One for the waste gate, but what's the other one for?
I wondered is anybody would catch that!

I am going to use an interesting approach to boost control. The primary boost control is the Turbosmart eboost2 and the secondary boost control is the Haltech ECU. As a safety measure the Haltech will be able to reduce boost levels based on coolant temps & pressures, oil temp & pressure, and possibly knock sensing. In addition I plan on trying something new - using the TPS voltage to regulate boost levels. This really helps with larger throttlebodies. It will take some time to map out a table that has a boost limit (solenoid pulsewidth %) based on TPS. The max boost level will still be set by the eboost2 but the part throttle boost will be controlled by the Haltech.

I am having a little fun with the engine management - just because I can! I even have it set up to turn the A/C off at full throttle - in case I really need the last several hps at 600hp!

Hmmm, maybe I could use an output from the Haltech to vary the stereo volume based on manifold pressure.....
Old 01-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thom
Agreed. Most seem to overlook that the GTX3076R flows as well as the old GT3582R, with smaller and lighter wheels (=better spool), while the GTX3582R is just way too big altogether for the usual RPM and boost limits of a 951 engine.
Yeah, but this is not a 'usual' 951 engine!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Now I know what has been taking your time! Looks great Chris, makes me want to do more with mine. Unfortunately, I don't have your skills. That is an amazing amount of power for 1 bar. I'm not familiar with the newest Haltech ECU's but their older stuff didn't have the stablest ignition. For me on a big build I would still go with MoTec as they seem to be the leaders and have great support.
I have talked to MoTec several times about using their products, I like the hardware but I have to admit that I don't like the business model that they follow. Any extra functions cost more $ and the general direction to the dealers is to charge for any and all support. I know some folks that have spent way more in tuning and support charges than the equipment and installation. If you can afford that then I guess its OK, but to me one of the great appeals of the 944's is the lower cost of performance (relative to other Porsches!), so I like the idea of trying to find quality solutions that are as reasonable as possible in terms of cost. I have stuck with Electromotive for years because its a quality product that has a lot of race experience. You do have to know what you are doing to properly set up an electromotive ECU but if you do it will work well. The Haltech ECUs have better user interface and some nice features - in fact there are many very nice street standalone systems out there now - way better than it was 5 or 10 years a ago!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah, but this is not a 'usual' 951 engine!
Is any of it 951 ?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I wondered is anybody would catch that!

I am going to use an interesting approach to boost control. The primary boost control is the Turbosmart eboost2 and the secondary boost control is the Haltech ECU. As a safety measure the Haltech will be able to reduce boost levels based on coolant temps & pressures, oil temp & pressure, and possibly knock sensing. In addition I plan on trying something new - using the TPS voltage to regulate boost levels. This really helps with larger throttlebodies. It will take some time to map out a table that has a boost limit (solenoid pulsewidth %) based on TPS. The max boost level will still be set by the eboost2 but the part throttle boost will be controlled by the Haltech.

I am having a little fun with the engine management - just because I can! I even have it set up to turn the A/C off at full throttle - in case I really need the last several hps at 600hp!

Hmmm, maybe I could use an output from the Haltech to vary the stereo volume based on manifold pressure.....
I am not familiar with Haltech and eboost2, but what is the benefit with eboost2 over the Haltech system? My Link G4 storm, has very advanced boost controller functionality, and cannot say that I find anything missing. Except for maybe a kalman filter. That would be real nice (but a b*tch to tune)
Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
I am out there all the time. We are doing a high profile politicians house out there by the course. In fact, I have to drive thru it to get to the house. Yes very sad it is gone. Rich neighbors can wreck everything.
Looking at the track location from google maps I can see that some of the track is still there....I occasionally fantasize about going there are ripping a couple of laps 'off road' on the old course!

Here is a quick map of the race course overlaid on the golf course....Stupid golfers!
Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by blade7
Is any of it 951 ?
Right side engine mount, turbo coolant pump, intercooler, oil pan and coolant hard pipes....
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by KSira
I am not familiar with Haltech and eboost2, but what is the benefit with eboost2 over the Haltech system? My Link G4 storm, has very advanced boost controller functionality, and cannot say that I find anything missing. Except for maybe a kalman filter. That would be real nice (but a b*tch to tune)
The eboost2 has many (almost too many!) ways to fine tune boost control. My favorite use is a 6 stage sequential boost settings. I can have six boost settings that I can 'scroll' through with an up/down switch.
You can vary the boost map by RPM, gear selection, and other inputs. You can tune it for a small boost spike or a soft boost start if you want.

The Haltech has either closed or open boost control - I have not used it for that function before so I can't vouch for how good a job it does.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Here is the list of boost control features for the Haltech -
protection for limits on the following:
Coolant Temp
Coolant Pressure
Oil pressure (with minimum TPS and MAP qualifiers)
Fuel Pressure
Manifold Air Temp
EGT
Overboost

The closed loop boost control is programmable for:
Start Duty
Proportional
Integral
Derivative
Control Start Pressure
delay till control

As well as target boost tables and closed loop base duty table.

Quick Reply: Just another 968 turbo...