Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue Tuning - New Product: A new DME!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:51 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly!!!
True story, had to go through 3 (that's THREE) rebuilt dme's to fix an 86 325i. The only way I knew for sure the DME was bad was having another car there to pull as a test part. If I hadn't had that car, I would have chased that problem for months I'm sure.

There is a need for replacement factory style parts.

If you're all unaware, the BMW DME is very similar to the 944.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:53 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
So about this new DME replacement...
Originally Posted by blown 944
Exactly!!!
True story, had to go through 3 (that's THREE) rebuilt dme's to fix an 86 325i. The only way I knew for sure the DME was bad was having another car there to pull as a test part. If I hadn't had that car, I would have chased that problem for months I'm sure.

There is a need for replacement factory style parts.

If you're all unaware, the BMW DME is very similar to the 944.
BMW's I've looked into some, and there are definitely some versions which are very similar... I even had one that would run a 944/951, though not 100% correctly.

Anyone know of other vehicles that I should be looking into for possible compatibility?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:00 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

I agree with some of what you are saying. However, over here in Europe a stand alone system like megasquirt may prove troublesome with the authorities. This replacment DME will reduce the risk of running into trouble at an inspetion. It would be helpful if there are no Rogue Tunining stickers on the box
Old 10-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
OBDII that connects wirelessly via Bluetooth to your smart phone or IPad would be over the top cool!
OH GOD YES! I use "Torque" pretty frequently when I'm trying to troubleshoot things or just to grab some data.

However... he's already got a data logger system. I don't think he'd jump into the Bluetooth option so quickly... it'd be nice though.

I think I'll end up purchasing one at the same time as an M-tune.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:44 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have just about everything Josh sells on the California car including the brilliant data logger, but I went for a ride in kid' new BRZ at work on Monday and asked him what the dongle was plugged into the port. He told me that sends data to my IPhone via Bluetooth. I was like, you are kidding me? Anyway, trust me even at 45 that was very cool to me. I know it might be expensive, time consuming, and difficult, but I for one would pony up for this! Either way I will be getting the new DME, whether I need it or not, just because it is cool and Josh spent a lot of time on it. Good to support the cause of anybody trying to keep our hobby alive!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I have just about everything Josh sells on the California car including the brilliant data logger, but I went for a ride in kid' new BRZ at work on Monday and asked him what the dongle was plugged into the port. He told me that sends data to my IPhone via Bluetooth. I was like, you are kidding me? Anyway, trust me even at 45 that was very cool to me. I know it might be expensive, time consuming, and difficult, but I for one would pony up for this! Either way I will be getting the new DME, whether I need it or not, just because it is cool and Josh spent a lot of time on it. Good to support the cause of anybody trying to keep our hobby alive!
+1
Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went for a ride in kid' new BRZ at work on Monday and asked him what the dongle was plugged into the port. He told me that sends data to my IPhone via Bluetooth.
Like this...display can be changed depending on what you are doing with the car. Hardware and software can be had for well under $50. One of the many advantages to owning a post 1995 car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/10791750-post1.html

Last edited by Adker; 11-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:30 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, exactly like that! Very cool!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:14 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Awesome to finally see this available. I know you have worked long and hard to provide this to the 944 community. Great work.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:23 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

I wonder if the BMW M3, the E30 version, would be a good candidate for this unit? It is a 4 cyl engine and has a similar Motronic system to ours. No variable cams, electric thottle or seqential injectors to worry about.
These cars are highly sought after and people are not shy about spending money to keep them running properly.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put me down for one for the race car, sent you an email. Would you do KLR too? Could the KLR be made more simple? Harness...there were about 4-5 that Sam Lin could not source, doesn't mean they can't be replaced with a different kind but we would have to have the other male/female to change on the car end.

I was just messing around online and found 2, 86 turbo harnesses for (cough cough) $3100 each!!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in for this DME if it can ship in time for Christmas (otherwise I won't have access to my car for another year).
Old 10-13-2013, 07:12 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ski
Put me down for one for the race car, sent you an email. Would you do KLR too? Could the KLR be made more simple? Harness...there were about 4-5 that Sam Lin could not source, doesn't mean they can't be replaced with a different kind but we would have to have the other male/female to change on the car end.

I was just messing around online and found 2, 86 turbo harnesses for (cough cough) $3100 each!!
Bret, I just came in from the garage. Cranked up my race car for the first time in a month or. Pertinent because I just redid an entire harness. I should put up pics. But back when JohnKOAWood was doing a group buy for connectors, I bought a kit. Finally got around to doing it, and also replaced the shielded, insulated wires for the speed and reference sensors all of the way to the DME. I don't have $100 in it, but I do have time. I also did some other things (rerouted some stuff for simplicity - including hte 14 pin connector from the firewall to the inside of the car).

Once you get rid of the hard plastic casing, and replace it with nylon mesh, you add more flexibility, so the wires won't be stressed as much. It is basically a new harness.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Mangonesailor
However... he's already got a data logger system. I don't think he'd jump into the Bluetooth option so quickly... it'd be nice though.
I know it might be expensive, time consuming, and difficult, but I for one would pony up for this!
Originally Posted by Adker
Like this...display can be changed depending on what you are doing with the car. Hardware and software can be had for well under $50. One of the many advantages to owning a post 1995 car.
So, it looks to me like there is quite a bit of interest in making some sort of OBD-II output... I will keep this in mind for any future changes/upgrades.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by quinnfiske
I wonder if the BMW M3, the E30 version, would be a good candidate for this unit? It is a 4 cyl engine and has a similar Motronic system to ours. No variable cams, electric thottle or seqential injectors to worry about.
These cars are highly sought after and people are not shy about spending money to keep them running properly.
IIRC, the E30 M3 is supposed to be identical to the 944 DME... I have not had the opportunity to verify this.

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning - New Product: A new DME!