Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue Tuning - New Product: A new DME!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 AM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M-tune

Anyone running M-tune know the answer to this question? Can you upload the current settings from the car to the PC?

Long story but I have a new 3.0 engine, new turbo, exhaust etc. All the work was done by a shop out of state and as of now I don't have the bin files they used to tune the car. So I assume if I would want to make any changes to the tune, I would have to start over from one of Josh's base tunes.

I also have the data logger which is pretty sweet. I sent an e-mail to Josh and he hasn't responded, so I assume he's busy building a flux capacitor specifically for a the 944 line of cars in his basement (dude is pretty amazing).

Thanks,

e.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:51 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The answer is Yes, but this is definitely not the place to post this question.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Meine44
Banned

Default Updates?

Has there been any recent talk about when these ECU units would be available for sale?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it's very close. Iirc he was making some final changes to the ignition driver heat syncs. Shouldn't be too long now.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Meine44
Banned

I'm also curious about the OBD II support.

Hopefully it will be a simple hardware upgrade to the current unit Rogue will be offering, but that will be complicated as all get-out, so most likely it will be an entirely different DME.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
I know it's very close. Iirc he was making some final changes to the ignition driver heat syncs. Shouldn't be too long now.

spoke with Josh about 3 weeks ago, and it sounds like he's gone all in on producing a max-quality part.

as in doing it right the first time. plug in and go. without calling AAA.

if he pulls this off, it should be warping time and driving them like we got to back when....

ahh the memories.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
spoke with Josh about 3 weeks ago, and it sounds like he's gone all in on producing a max-quality part.

as in doing it right the first time. plug in and go. without calling AAA.

if he pulls this off, it should be warping time and driving them like we got to back when....

ahh the memories.
I wonder if the M tune memory board can be used or adapted for the new DME ?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Meine44
Banned

I believe that is part of the reason that he is taking so long to perfect the new DME.

I would also assume that there will be new install instructions for connecting the M-tune to this new DME, as it will have changes and improvements over the stock unit.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoz
Anyone running M-tune know the answer to this question? Can you upload the current settings from the car to the PC?

Long story but I have a new 3.0 engine, new turbo, exhaust etc. All the work was done by a shop out of state and as of now I don't have the bin files they used to tune the car. So I assume if I would want to make any changes to the tune, I would have to start over from one of Josh's base tunes.

I also have the data logger which is pretty sweet. I sent an e-mail to Josh and he hasn't responded, so I assume he's busy building a flux capacitor specifically for a the 944 line of cars in his basement (dude is pretty amazing).

Thanks,

e.
I don't think anybody answered your initial question, "Can you upload the current settings from the car to the PC?"

So how did they "tune" your car? Does it already have an M-Tune with the Tuner? Or did they do something else? If you already have the M-Tune with the tuner, there is a button/option within the tuner to let you download the map currently stored in the DME. Though I seem to recall reading somewhere that it doesn't work properly (?) or that you're not supposed to do it?

That said - I've done it and haven't had any problems... YMMV. Whenever I messed with the tuner, I usually downloaded the existing map from the DME first and saved it to the PC (so if I screwed up the map, it was easy to revert). On more than one occasion I've re-uploaded a .bin file that I pulled down out of the DME.

After I read that you're not supposed to do it (like, seriously, a year after I had the tuner) I stopped doing that, pulled down a fresh .bin from the website, made my modifications over again, and uploaded it to the DME. The car didn't run any differently though.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:38 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

+1, the download button does not work perfectly. Intermittent issues, best to stay away from this and start with fresh BIN from the website. After you have a good working BIN make several backups.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
ekoz
Racer

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure what would happen if I tried the get the data from the DME since Joshua said not to do it. This is a new 3.0 sleeved engine and M-tune was purchased to tune it. There was not a previous M-tune bin in the dme. Joshua sent them the original tune to start with, but I don't know what or if they changed anything. They are suppose to send me the final version of the bin so I can have a starting point. If not, I'll just start over with one of the base bin files.

The car is safely tuned (if anything its a little rich) according to my wide-band and the engine is under warranty so I don't want to mess with anything until the warranty is up in a year.

I have a DE in about a month so I'm looking forward to getting in on the track. My only concern now is some vibration that starts around 3k rpm. I'll be checking the balance shafts this weekend, but I suspect its just the nature of a 3.0 with lightened rods, lightened balance shafts, and knifed crank. Its not horrible, its very high frequency vibration. You only notice it when your hand rests on the shifter. It may just be in my head.....the engine replacement took over a year so I don't really remember how it drove before, but it doesn't seem to be as smooth as the original 2.5 stock engine. (Ironically I bought a new engine to save time....after a year long process, and lots of money I don't think I'll ever let anyone work on my car but me)

But the new engine does pull hard and their dyno had it at 350HP (18 psi) at the wheels so as long as it lasts, I should be a happy camper.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I would suggest you send a PM to Shawn, he is very good with the software and has an engine close to yours. He might also have a good starting BIN for you.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

If you gave Josh all the specs on your motor, he may have sent a tweaked tune for your engine builder to start with.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Probably ought to get back on topic. ekoz, if you start a thread. with all of this, you are likely to gain a bevy of good info.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Probably ought to get back on topic.
Agreed!

When I started this thread, I was hoping to have everything ready by the turn of the year...
But we weren't 100% satisfied, so the new ECU went through some more changes. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am not about to put the new ECU up for order until it is absolutely ready.

That said, I believe the new ECU is done.

I've also put up a page, dedicated to the new ECU:

Rogue Tuning ECU

I am working on buttoning up things at the moment, but expect a pre-order page to be up soon. When it does go up, I will make the announcement.

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning - New Product: A new DME!