Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Curious if you are you reusing the original s100 trigger conditioning chip or if you went with something else?
I've tested both the original S100, and other VR conditioning options.
The S100 chip is a very good IC, and is hard to improve upon! Since we need cores for the system connector and enclosure, it made sense to also reuse the S100 chip.

Originally Posted by refresh951
Joshua,

What a unbelievable achievement. I love the new logo. Thanks so much for your passion for the 944. As a community we are very fortunate to have you contributions.
Thanks!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:41 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IN!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:38 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Price?

It looks like the ECU project is coming to sales finally. Any idea on a price yet? I've been considering a M-tune package for some time now, always seemed like a hassle to convert my 24 pin dme to 28 (with the down time), with this new ECU I'd be interested in a package deal with the M-tune. Can't pass up plug and play Any thoughts on offering such a package deal?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 AM
Meine44
Banned

Originally Posted by mahoney944
It looks like the ECU project is coming to sales finally. Any idea on a price yet? I've been considering a M-tune package for some time now, always seemed like a hassle to convert my 24 pin dme to 28 (with the down time), with this new ECU I'd be interested in a package deal with the M-tune. Can't pass up plug and play Any thoughts on offering such a package deal?

I'd be very interested in a package deal as well.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:54 AM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in as well. Glad your back in good shape Josh. I need a package of ecu/tuner/logger.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Very impressive stuff Josh. I have been tossing up between just going an A tune or the M tune set up with your new ECU. I read someone saying that if sticking with standard K26/6 then there is no point going M tune. I have no plans to upgrade the turbo anytime soon so was wondering what your thoughts are about going M tune with a stock turbo ? or should I just stick with A tune ?
TIA
Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
I've tested both the original S100, and other VR conditioning options.
The S100 chip is a very good IC, and is hard to improve upon! Since we need cores for the system connector and enclosure, it made sense to also reuse the S100 chip.
Thanks!
I think that was a wise move, in light of all the trigger problems other systems have with the starter ring gear. Nice job!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:24 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey josh

I sent you my dme for the logger. Wondering if it makes sense to use it as a core for one of your new dme's? Depends on availability.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Meine44
I'd be very interested in a package deal as well.
Originally Posted by p5th
I'm in as well. Glad your back in good shape Josh. I need a package of ecu/tuner/logger.
I will most likely be doing package deals with the new ECU. Let me get the details worked out!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Very impressive stuff Josh. I have been tossing up between just going an A tune or the M tune set up with your new ECU. I read someone saying that if sticking with standard K26/6 then there is no point going M tune. I have no plans to upgrade the turbo anytime soon so was wondering what your thoughts are about going M tune with a stock turbo ? or should I just stick with A tune ?
TIA
Hmm, the MAF will typically make 5-8% make more peak power than the AFM.
However, at off-peak areas, the increase % is even greater. At 1psi of boost we saw ~14-15% increase in hp/tq.

Generally, what I describe to people, is that going from AFM to MAF, feels kinda similar to having the AC on vs off. The AFM will feel like the engine is being dragged down by the AC, while the MAF frees up that power.

That said, the A-Tune has a big off-peak improvement vs stock or typical aftermarket chips. So, that might be all you are looking for?

Last point, is that if you start with the A-Tune, then upgrading to the M-Tune later is discounted.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I think that was a wise move, in light of all the trigger problems other systems have with the starter ring gear. Nice job!
We did design an S100 replacement circuit, and it works without issue. However, it takes quite a few components and logic to replace that one IC.
One of the goals for this ECU was keeping costs reasonable, so keeping the excellent S100 IC made sense.

Originally Posted by dizzyj
Hey josh

I sent you my dme for the logger. Wondering if it makes sense to use it as a core for one of your new dme's? Depends on availability.
I suppose your required timeframe is what matters?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmm, the MAF will typically make 5-8% make more peak power than the AFM.
However, at off-peak areas, the increase % is even greater. At 1psi of boost we saw ~14-15% increase in hp/tq.

Generally, what I describe to people, is that going from AFM to MAF, feels kinda similar to having the AC on vs off. The AFM will feel like the engine is being dragged down by the AC, while the MAF frees up that power.

That said, the A-Tune has a big off-peak improvement vs stock or typical aftermarket chips. So, that might be all you are looking for?

Last point, is that if you start with the A-Tune, then upgrading to the M-Tune later is discounted.
Cheers Josh
Just the info I wanted, as always better getting it from the horses mouth than an opinion off the net
Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 AM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks awesome Joshua! Thanks for all the hard work keeping our cars going.

Not sure if you read the new page on his website but unless he will be doing some sort of core exchange you will still need to send him your DME as a few components are transferred to the new one.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Meine44
Banned

Will this new DME eliminate the need to use resistors to run different injectors?

Or is that not a problem with high impedance injectors?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Meine44
Will this new DME eliminate the need to use resistors to run different injectors?

Or is that not a problem with high impedance injectors?
He answered that in a previous post.

Furthermore, if I wasn't clear, this DME will work in the 944 or 951, with only flipping a switch & swapping chips.

Moreover, this DME will properly run aftermarket ignition coils (with proper dwell) without any other mods. Similar is true with the injection driver being able to run low-Z injectors without resistors, or my high-Z units.

The much newer designed practices should also have other 2nd order effects, such as more consistent reading of the sensors due to better ground plane & power supply, board layout, ect.

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning - New Product: A new DME!