The absolute best information I have found yet on automotive oil filtration:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....iltration2.htm
Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Harry:

If the information I have been reading from Dr. Haas, on the Bob is the Oil Guy site is correct, I didn't fully understand what the first number prior to the W means when pertaining to the viscosity of a synthetic oil. ....................
Very Interesting and yes, somewhat confusing.
Sorry I'm late posting this, had most of a response drafted, and my QuickBooks locked up, eventually forcing me to restart.

Anyway, one interesting thing about Dr. Haas. I had seen his writings before, and was thinking that I've known several PhD engineers and chemists, and none of them had had any Ferraris and Lambos, much less multiple ones. Turns our Dr. Haas is an MD - plastic surgeon.

That is not to dismiss what he says, he is very well educated, and I havne't found anythign wrong with what he says. But, it just shows you need to show caution.

I had tried to explain how conventional oils were inferior in some other threads, probably teh racing forum, due to what you mentioned. It isn't that the number really means something different, it is just a low temperature viscosity as defined by SAE. It just means that it has to have so many centi-strokes at the specified temperature, which is 40 degrees C. But the important take-away is how each one gets there. TRUE synthetics, which do not include the Group III, which is what most off-the-shelf synthetics are, are comprised of PAO and Ester, and the esters are usually multile (i.e. di-ester like Motul 300V or tri-ester like the Millers). So yes, synthetics are MUCH more robust than conventional ones because they dont' break down like conventional oils. Good racing synthetics contain very little in the way of VI, which are just dissolved rubber and other polymers that break down. Good synthetics go bad over time as the TBN gets too low, or you have too much in the way of wear metals, or you have fuel dilution which thins it (a much bigger issue with turbocharged track cars than any other application).

Anyway, gotta run. Will try to keep a tab on things.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Harry:

Your post made me do some research, and what I found I liked!

Dr. A E Haas is a Gator! Knew I liked that guy. He has a BS in biochemistry, with minors in nutrition and psychology Later getting his PHD specializing in cholesterol metabolism. Doesn't mean he is the all knowing, but rest assured he is pretty damn smart and yes owns a ton of great cars!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harry:

Your post made me do some research, and what I found I liked!

Dr. A E Haas is a Gator! Knew I liked that guy. He has a BS in biochemistry, with minors in nutrition and psychology Later getting his PHD specializing in cholesterol metabolism. Doesn't mean he is the all knowing, but rest assured he is pretty damn smart and yes owns a ton of great cars!
Really!? Is this the same Dr. Ali Haas who is also a plastic surgeon? Wow, that's cool. And like I said, very well educated, only in more ways than I expected!

BTW....meant to mention this earlier, but UF has a very underrated engineering program. I've known a few folks to go through it. Knew very little about it until a (very smart) friend and lab partner of mine when I was an undergrad at Tech opted to go there for his Masters.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Harry:

Yes, since acquiring the current but outgoing president Bernie Machem our academics have sky rocketed. The current GPA entrance requirement is 4.15 minimum! Three FL high school valedictorians were turned down last year. It was all over the news. Don't think I would make it into the program anymore!

Last edited by URG8RB8; 04-13-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:31 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

We just got two UF guys into our group at work in the past year (PhD and Masters in Engineering), good guys so far.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So, just an update, with all the factory fuel and oil filters in the truck, there is noticeable throttle lag. That's what the new owner said. So, he's going to clean the Pure Power ones and put them back in. And if it takes that much pressure as stated earlier to get any filtration through the paper, wouldn't that mean there is restriction there? And with our cars, the number 2 rod bearing failures are a nightmare. Maybe these filters will help stop that from happening. I don't know for sure, but I will come back to this after an oil analysis.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
We just got two UF guys into our group at work in the past year (PhD and Masters in Engineering), good guys so far.
Good to hear!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Should anybody need the specifications for the better of our Mahle original fit filters, here is a good link for the OC-75, which has slightly more capacity than the OC-142. By the way the bypass valve is set quite high on this unit at 2.2-2.5 bar, (31.9-36.2 psi)

http://catalog.mahle-aftermarket.com...?filterId=1418

I am trying to locate one of the preferred new synthetic spin on filters from the four top reccomended units on BITOG site. Unfortunately, none of the manufacturers make a direct fit for our car. I am trying to cross reference but so far no luck. Believe or not, the new Fram Ultra is considered the best filter for the money. The build quality is very impressive and a cut away can be seen here:

New one:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...72#Post2861672

Used one:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...76#Post2971076
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

So here are some pretty basic filter 'rules' -
given the same general size the more it filters the more it will restrict the flow and the more it flows the less it will filter.
K&N air filters have made a big business out of increasing air flow for the same size application. Lots of HP increase testing results....but they also filter less and on long term tests the engine will wear faster.
Same deal for oil and fuel. For the same surface area the filter that flows more will filter less.

Take your pick - more flow or more filtration.

BTW - the Canton filters are really nice for 944 changes - the top comes off and you don't spill oil all over the place. That being said the standard Canton filter does not have an anti-drain back valve - so oil pressure make take a monument to build on cold starts.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:35 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Agree with Chris. The only way to increase is to have a larger surface area filter. Then it becomes a size space issue.
K&n is a nominal filter example.
A hepa filter or a spaghetti strainer is an example of absolute filter.
One does not define quality by those terms. Its just a defintion.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

A Canton is nice but a nice set of Cans is better
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris White
So here are some pretty basic filter 'rules' -
given the same general size the more it filters the more it will restrict the flow and the more it flows the less it will filter.
K&N air filters have made a big business out of increasing air flow for the same size application. Lots of HP increase testing results....but they also filter less and on long term tests the engine will wear faster.
Same deal for oil and fuel. For the same surface area the filter that flows more will filter less.

Take your pick - more flow or more filtration.

BTW - the Canton filters are really nice for 944 changes - the top comes off and you don't spill oil all over the place. That being said the standard Canton filter does not have an anti-drain back valve - so oil pressure make take a monument to build on cold starts.
Thank you very much for chiming in Chris. I was hoping you would join the conversation. The new CM spin on filter does have an anti-drainback valve, but it is not made of a good quality silicone (appears to be butyl rubber) and thus not very effective. Also, there appears to be a fitment issue, as stated by a previous post on here.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:13 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Agree with Chris. The only way to increase is to have a larger surface area filter. Then it becomes a size space issue.
K&n is a nominal filter example.
A hepa filter or a spaghetti strainer is an example of absolute filter.
One does not define quality by those terms. Its just a definition.
Please note, the K&N oil filter (HP-4001) is not a nominal oil filter. While not being a particularly good filter at removing particles below 20 micron, it does pass oil through the partial synthetic media, not around or by the filter media. I am actually trying to acquire the specifications for the Mahle OC-75 to see if the K&N is a better option. It has one nice feature, the 1" nut on the bottom of the can makes it easy to remove and it also has a good burst strength rating. Too bad they did not use a good full synthetic wire backed media such as in the Fram Ultra, Wix XP, or the Napa Platinum.

From BITOG Senior member:

Well, there's a possibility! The K&N is a well built filter. Efficiency is typically not a strong point. I don't know what it is for this part number but for the one I have specs for, NP6001, it's 96% @ 20 um. Pretty average, maybe edging toward above average. It's nearly absolute @ 30 um.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Sorry I guess i should have clarified K&N. I was on I-phone....pain typing. Was refering to an air filter not the oil filter.
Nominal meaing it removes most particles of a specific size.

Absolute meaning an "equal hole size" that removes everything of a specific size and larger.

Thanks for catching that one

Please note, the K&N oil filter (HP-4001) is not a nominal oil filter. While not being a particularly good filter at removing particles below 20 micron, it does pass oil through the partial synthetic media, not around or by the filter media. I am actually trying to acquire the specifications for the Mahle OC-75 to see if the K&N is a better option. It has one nice feature, the 1" nut on the bottom of the can makes it easy to remove and it also has a good burst strength rating. Too bad they did not use a good full synthetic wire backed media such as in the Fram Ultra, Wix XP, or the Napa Platinum.

From BITOG Senior member:

Well, there's a possibility! The K&N is a well built filter. Efficiency is typically not a strong point. I don't know what it is for this part number but for the one I have specs for, NP6001, it's 96% @ 20 um. Pretty average, maybe edging toward above average. It's nearly absolute @ 30 um.

Quick Reply: PurePower Reusable Oil Filters???