Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

PurePower Reusable Oil Filters???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No offense taken guys, I just wanted to give my real world experience with these filters and I'm still using them four year later. I like them
Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
What I did learn about conventional filters is all of them can't filter oil upon startup at low temperatures, especially in the case of 20-50W which is what most of us run.
Keep in mind the first number is more pertinent on cold start scenarios. A 5W50 has the same cold start properties as a 5W30. There are some 0W50's out there, as well as 5W50's and 10W50's.

I sent a note to my friend at Germain racing, but I've not heard back. He's not always great about getting back to folks, so we'll have to see. Hope to hear back soon, as you have definately gotten me interested in this technology.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Harry:

Glad to see your back. Did you take a look at the bypass system? This actaully looks optimal in my opinion, especially if used in conjunction with the PurePower as the full flow filter.

Yes, well aware of the different viscosities available and the function of the first variable (UF is not that bad, ), but I feel the majority of 951 users are using 20w-50. Note this is an opinion, not fact, I know better to not state opinions, but did it anyway. I have just read a two hour thread on bypass valve function and learned a little more. I had forgotten about the high pressure relief valve built into the oil pump itself which can also come into play during cold starts. This is getting more interesting by the minute. I have learned some filter manufactures dump the nasty filtered grime through the bypass valve when opened and some do not.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
By the way, Great Real Job!!! Talking about having fun at work! I will most likely buy one in the end anyway and at least test it.
Are you talking about a filter or one of Joe's productions??
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

The filter!

Maybe I need to buy one of his flicks too, oh wait I am in Bangkok, no need!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry Dfastest. Not saying anything against you. Topic just got me thinking about the filters. Appreciate the info

Thks
Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

OK, as the search and learning continues, I have found some very good information on the Canton Mecca site. I like the design, which does not incorporate a bypass valve thus the oil is 100% filtered all the time even during cold starts. LR has sold an older version of these filters, but the new ones have many changes and supposedly the anti drainback valve has been upgraded which used to be a concern with their spin on filters. Here is some good information:

https://cantonracingproducts.com/Tec...lter_Tech.html

Here is the unit with the greatest filtration capacity that fits our car:

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...D-2-58-O-RING/
Old 04-09-2013, 03:52 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I was using the Canton 25-484 on my '88 TS but had some problems with it seating/sealing to the oil console correctly. The body of the canister was interfering with the large allen cap screw that retains the oil thermostat, thereby preventing full seating for a leak tight fit. I actually ended up grinding some the material away at the base of the canister to allow it to fully seat and seal to the console. However, even after this modification I still had a problem with leaks at the base. Further, and even though Canton claims no back flow for starts, the back flow device was just a flat rubber washer that with use curled up around the outer edge allowing, most, if not all, of the oil in the canister to flow back into the pan at shut down. It is a nicely constructed piece that if I could get to seal properly would make changing the filter a less messy job. In fact, I recently removed the Canton at the last oil change and replaced it with a Mahle spin on filter sourced from Rennbay. I now have no leaks and the oil remains in the filter for quick oil pressure on start up. I'll bring the Canton to the Central Florida Swap Meet this Saturday for those of you who would like to see it. Mike
Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard back from my NASCAR contact. He has never heard of PurePerformance. They use a commercially established brand that provides a non-commercially available filter. Not sure what all he told me is suitable for a public forum, so I'll err on the side of not disclosing more. The takeaway, however, is that his team, and a great many others, are using more of a conventional filter, and not this one.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by 67King
Heard back from my NASCAR contact. He has never heard of PurePerformance. They use a commercially established brand that provides a non-commercially available filter. Not sure what all he told me is suitable for a public forum, so I'll err on the side of not disclosing more. The takeaway, however, is that his team, and a great many others, are using more of a conventional filter, and not this one.
Harry:

Unfortunately, I received the same news, believe the exact phrase was Pure what? You mean Purolator? I too was asked not to disclose what they are truly using, but if you really care, I might have slipped and mentioned it previously. Must be some sort of Redneck conspiracy. More like who pays them the most or gives them the most free stuff! Unfortuantely, that is the way things work now. As you said, it won't be just Brad but the whole team using this setup. I can confirm whether they like it or not, they use no bypass valve and 100% absolute filtering.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmcampbell
I was using the Canton 25-484 on my '88 TS but had some problems with it seating/sealing to the oil console correctly. The body of the canister was interfering with the large allen cap screw that retains the oil thermostat, thereby preventing full seating for a leak tight fit. I actually ended up grinding some the material away at the base of the canister to allow it to fully seat and seal to the console. However, even after this modification I still had a problem with leaks at the base. Further, and even though Canton claims no back flow for starts, the back flow device was just a flat rubber washer that with use curled up around the outer edge allowing, most, if not all, of the oil in the canister to flow back into the pan at shut down. It is a nicely constructed piece that if I could get to seal properly would make changing the filter a less messy job. In fact, I recently removed the Canton at the last oil change and replaced it with a Mahle spin on filter sourced from Rennbay. I now have no leaks and the oil remains in the filter for quick oil pressure on start up. I'll bring the Canton to the Central Florida Swap Meet this Saturday for those of you who would like to see it. Mike
Mike:

This is dissappointing news! However, I am very greatful for your feedback. Too bad somebody can't make a product like this work properly and have a good fitment. I don't think we could generate enough interest to have them make a unit specifically designed for our application. They do sell a remote mount kit which may or may not solve the sealing issue, but then you would have to deal with where to mount the filter. Not much room in our engine bay, but I would be open to this if I could locate a perfect spot for perfect vertical mounting. This would eliminate the mess as well when changing the filter. So I guess the search continues.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Talk about left field...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Checked with my work. We deal with Boeing for parts and this company does not supply filters to Boeing. Pm me if ya wanna know more
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

PM sent
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is just the stuff I heard from Kelly himself. I'm just passing it on. You guys can do what you want. Call him yourself. I was already gonna try them after I read the test article in Diesel Power. And the op asked if anyone has real world experience with them. I do, and after the research I've done, I believe they're the baddest filters on the planet. So I use them. That's all.

Quick Reply: PurePower Reusable Oil Filters???