Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

PurePower Reusable Oil Filters???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for pointing out the true meanings of absolute and nominal. Too many have the incorrect definitions; thinking absolute means forced to flow through and nominal being flowing over or past. You can still flow through and have nominal filtration.

I have now sent Emails to all of the new ultra filter manufacturers. All have replied, none will make a filter for our car.

I am looking into a extreme measure. Maybe somebody here can tell me if the threaded stud in which the filter spins on is removable? If so, I will have new one made with a 22x1.5 pitch. Then we can use Mustang and Corvette filters which have all of the ultra versions.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Its not a big deal to go with a remote filter - then you can have any spec you want and you won't have to deal with the stock 'upside down' filter mess.

BTW - one other thing to remember is that the oil filter is different than an air or fuel filter. The oil passes through the oil filter on a continuous basis - over and over. So a 'nominal' filter will remove the small 'junk' on the next pass if it slips thought on the first pass. We are talking about some pretty small size 'junk'.
Fuel and air filters are closer to single pass filters and they need to be closer to an absolute filter in order to be effective.

Comment on an earlier statement - if you think you have more horsepower due to an oil filter change....then you need a better system to measure horsepower!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:16 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Can anybody tell me if the 20X1.5mm oil filter "Stud" is removable? I don't have a great picture, but they one below is better than nothing. The red arrow is pointing to the "Stud" I am referring too.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2013, 05:20 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris White
Its not a big deal to go with a remote filter - then you can have any spec you want and you won't have to deal with the stock 'upside down' filter mess.
Chris:

Where would you mount the remote mount filter? I was looking into this option, but as you know, we don't have very much empty space in our engine bay.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:02 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Found out today the stud is removable. I am now trying to acquire one to make a drawing. Afterwards I will make 20 or so replacement studs in case anybody else wants to use a better filter. I think zinc cadmium plated mild steel should be sufficient.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I changed my mind and made the prototypes out of 304 SS. I made two types, one 22mm X 1.5 and the other 3/4-16. I am most likely going to use the 3/4-16 unit with a Fram Ultra XG3682. This filter is 4" tall with a 3" diameter. It is a rare filter in that it doesn't have a bypass valve, but does have an antidrainback valve. This will guarantee all of your oil is 100% filtered all the time, and prevent dry starts. We have multiple OPRV's installed on our engine's so we should be safe, unless the engine completely lets loose and then it doesn't really matter. The FU (love that abbreviation) has excellent flow and filtration. It is rated 99.5% efficient at 20 microns first pass! The media is 100% synthetic and wire backed for added collapse support. If you order three on Amazon for $25 you get them delivered to your door for free and pay no tax in some states. It is rated for 15,000 mile OCI's. Therefore, it makes Harry's fancy European nanotechnology oil more palatable. For those interested in why I made two, the 22mmX1.5 is the size used for the Chevrolet Z06 and ZR1 as well as the Ford Mustang including the Shelby GT500. My thinking was if the filters are good enough for these cars, should do just fine with our 2.5-3.2 liters. Interesting the sizes are quite small for these two applications, 3" tall with 3" diameter, O-ring same size as ours.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: PurePower Reusable Oil Filters???