Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LS conversions. Let's hear it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

In the UAE we were hp/weight classes which was fine except being FIA GT, engine swaps weren't possible anyway as the block had to have same number of cylinders and be from the same manufacturer as stock.

In Australia the only serious categories I could run a V8 in are capacity -weight based, so the top class for one category example which allows engines up to 6 litres has very few restrictions on engine mods but have to weigh at least 1100kg. 600+hp motors are the norm. From past experience I know that the 944 can be competitive with a bit less power if setup and driven well so getting over 500hp might make it worth it, but you are limited to 6 litres. What you describe might work if it is destroked enough.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
In the UAE we were hp/weight classes which was fine except being FIA GT, engine swaps weren't possible anyway as the block had to have same number of cylinders and be from the same manufacturer as stock.

In Australia the only serious categories I could run a V8 in are capacity -weight based, so the top class for one category example which allows engines up to 6 litres has very few restrictions on engine mods but have to weigh at least 1100kg. 600+hp motors are the norm. From past experience I know that the 944 can be competitive with a bit less power if setup and driven well so getting over 500hp might make it worth it, but you are limited to 6 litres. What you describe might work if it is destroked enough.
6 liters is plenty to do the job.

Is the 1100kg with driver or without (2425lbs)?

No matter, you won't be under weight, though you could get it real close if you put it on a serious diet.

TonyG
Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

[QUOTE=Ruthie512;10000393]~$10,500 for a 400whp V8? That's a lot more than I expected./QUOTE]

Because it's a lot more than is required :-)

$11k will get you a destroked TI rodded LS3 with all the goodies making 550RWHP. Includes complete FI system, TB, Computer, Wiring harness, and Drive-by-wire gas pedal.

TonyG
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Actually the exact weight for the category is 1125kg including driver. My car is currently 1240kg including an 85 kg driver and 1/2 fuel so I could try and loose some of the 115kg (about 250 pounds).

Not sure how much the 16v engine weighs with the supercharger currently on it, but I imagine I would gain some weight with LS rather than loose it. I can't loose much more weight on the car without cutting the front and rear off. I might be able to loose 5kgs myself though if I cut down on my essential vitamin consumption

The thing is every time I look at it I figure I would probably end up slightly overweight, slightly underpowered and still be behind a lot of the cars on aero and suspension mods, so the right car would be more like what you are building at the moment, not a full bodied 944....but that type of work is out of the budget for me right now.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Actually the exact weight for the category is 1125kg including driver. My car is currently 1240kg including an 85 kg driver and 1/2 fuel so I could try and loose some of the 115kg (about 250 pounds).

Not sure how much the 16v engine weighs with the supercharger currently on it, but I imagine I would gain some weight with LS rather than loose it. I can't loose much more weight on the car without cutting the front and rear off. I might be able to loose 5kgs myself though if I cut down on my essential vitamin consumption

The thing is every time I look at it I figure I would probably end up slightly overweight, slightly underpowered and still be behind a lot of the cars on aero and suspension mods, so the right car would be more like what you are building at the moment, not a full bodied 944....but that type of work is out of the budget for me right now.
The LSx is 430lbs approx + clutch assy. Pull out your engine. Weight the car. Then order the LSx engine combo that will put you just at the power for the HP/WT calcs.

TonyG
Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
Pull out your engine. Weight the car. Then order the LSx engine combo that will put you just at the power for the HP/WT calcs.
TonyG
okey, dokey, I'll just duck down to the garage and do that now..

All good info, thanks. I will store it away for future planning.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:41 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

okey, dokey, I'll just duck down to the garage and do that now..

All good info, thanks. I will store it away for future planning.
Sorry

I meant that if you're going to go the V8 route... then pull the engine and weight the car. See where you're at and add about 450lbs to that, plus your weight (the driver). Then backwards calculate for your class, what's the max power you can have.

Then order the LSx engine that gives you that approximate power level.

No matter the power level... you can get the engine in about 2-3 weeks.

TonyG
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Duke the main factor for me was I could not run a reliable 310rwhp 2.5l without blowing headgaskets every season. That was a $2-3k recurring expense. The LS swap has a high initial buy-in, but then if you totally lunch a 400whp LS motor a good shortblock is only $1-2k away.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be swapping in an entire Vette drivetrain to a 928 to kill 10 birds with one stone. The 944 chassis to get the Vette 6-speed and Torque tube takes some serious fabrication. We're working on a swap kit as we go.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...swap-pics.html
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duke
Katech definitely seem to be a top player, but when I wrote 25K I mean when everything is done.
Factor in 600 hp crate engine, dry sump kit with cast shallow pan and 3-4 stage pump, MAF, EMS, injectors, alternator, headers, starter, conversion kit, flywheel, clutch. Everything adds up!
Ugh... Don't I know it...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:03 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
I'm not really planning to switch from the 944/968 engine platform in my race car - but just for fun show me the options.
The YES-sayers keep on raving about this as the holy grail for power at a low cost. I've been looking around but to be honest I really don't see the USP's.

The total cost for say a 450 crank hp LS conversion is not cheaper than building a 450 crank hp 944/968 engine.

So if I would want a 500 rwhp LS engine with dry sump and all the conversion bits - what do I need? As far as I can see that would cost 15-20k.
So I'm not really getting the "cheap" side of a conversion. Or am I missing something?

I'm genuinely not trying to bash the conversions. I just want to cover every option. Let's just say I'm also investigating another legendary engine family with 5 cylinder not far from these cars birthplace
Originally Posted by Thom
If you can wait until next year someone I know may able to give you first hand feedback with this. I am not aware of already-existing conversions running such an engine with a turbocharger.
There are a couple out there. Here is one that uses the transaxle:
http://motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34509

I have been very close to selling my 951 engine and putting an I5 in, but I will probably wait until next winter. However, I would be doing the newer 20V 2.5L VW I5 from the Jetta/Rabbit. These motors are $500 in junkyards, 25% have forged cranks, make 400whp on stock internals with low boost, and are pretty much the best flowing VAG heads out there. A company in Vegas called Iroz Motorsports is working on a kit for swapping into Audi's. I will be working with him to come up with a kit for swapping into 944's. The motor is extremely compact since it uses the timing chain on the rear of the motor and all accessories are mounted on the side with an offset pulley drive. It's 5" shorter than an AAN engine (20.25" to the front of the pulley; only 2" longer than a 1.8T) so it would give you LOTS of room in the engine bay. Marc Swanson at EFI-Express is developing a plug-and-play VEMS ECU for it. Marc also has a bellhousing adapter that will work as he recently swapped a 1.8T into a 944 for a Lemons car.

The more I talk about it the more I want to do the swap now....
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been looking at a 2.7 conversion based on the diesel block... I mean, go big or go home

Seriously, all the dyno curves I have been looking at suggest a rather peaky power delivery pretty much regardless of the turbo set up. Not sure this is worth the hassle compared with a 3.0 8V, at least for road use.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:21 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=TonyG;10000406]
Originally Posted by Ruthie512
~$10,500 for a 400whp V8? That's a lot more than I expected./QUOTE]

Because it's a lot more than is required :-)

$11k will get you a destroked TI rodded LS3 with all the goodies making 550RWHP. Includes complete FI system, TB, Computer, Wiring harness, and Drive-by-wire gas pedal.

TonyG
That truly is a fantastic Deal Tony. But don't forget to include the cost of the conversion pieces too. I think it's currently $5K from Renegade? I don't know how much from the others.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Duke the main factor for me was I could not run a reliable 310rwhp 2.5l without blowing headgaskets every season. That was a $2-3k recurring expense. The LS swap has a high initial buy-in, but then if you totally lunch a 400whp LS motor a good shortblock is only $1-2k away.
This is the main reason for me and so many others. The head gasket issue gets very old, very fast. But, the 3.0 block with the thicker deck shows hope.

Last edited by 95ONE; 11-15-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:41 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
I've been looking at a 2.7 conversion based on the diesel block... I mean, go big or go home

Seriously, all the dyno curves I have been looking at suggest a rather peaky power delivery pretty much regardless of the turbo set up. Not sure this is worth the hassle compared with a 3.0 8V, at least for road use.
I got to ride in a 2.6L tallblock UrQ with around 650whp a few weeks ago, it was insane to say the least. Also rode in a 2.3L (7A built block) that had a quick spool valve on a HTA 35R and that had a super smooth and useable power range.

Quick Reply: LS conversions. Let's hear it.