LS conversions. Let's hear it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Wow

That's far more power (albeit a larger engine) and Devek or anybody else in that arena has got that I'm aware of. Maybe that's why Devek is no longer... Who knows.

Honestly I never understood why those engines never made big power given the 32V DOHC design. Even with ITB's I've never seen them (on a regular basis) make any real power for their displacement.

Most of the Devek 6.5L's topped out around 450RWHP +/-... And those engines are stupid priced.

But... a 7.0L is a long way from a 5.4L... just sayin...

I guess this guy got the cylinder heads right (and the displacement).

TonyG
Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Personally, if I wanted to change the basic layout I would just buy a different car. Still, fun to think about the alternatives.

Discussing crazy ideas like mid mounted Audi engines does make a point though. There is a fundamental difference between the reasons why you would do an engine swap, of any kind, for a road car compared to a race car. For a road car it can be any reason, cool factor, money saving or just the engineering challenge. For racing it has to be clearly justified in terms of maximising performance within the regulations and the budget you have. In most cases developing the stock engine is going make the most sense.

You really have to get your car running again Pat, you are going nuts...lol
Agreed on all points...specially the last one...finally a bit of movement on mine today...long road back yet.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I was watching the videos of that 928 powered 924 and was wondering why it was so slow in the corners then I read what he says on the website:

Race series: MSLS 8h endurance racing and SLC 8h endurance racing.Relativly open regulations but we are limited to 225mm road legal tires.

That's kind of hilarious! What sort of race rules allow you to stick a 928 V8 engine in a 924, cut the front of the car, fabricate suspension points and fit widebody lightweight panels but stops you from using anything bigger than a 225 road tire? Someone has a warped sense of humour.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny isn't it!? The tire rule is there in an effort to keep running costs for competing down.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

That seems somewhat similar to the series your car was running in Gustaf? Wasn't it using a small n/a motor and narrow tires at some stage?

Thank God it's being brought up to a motor and tyre size it so richly deserves!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
That seems somewhat similar to the series your car was running in Gustaf? Wasn't it using a small n/a motor and narrow tires at some stage?

Thank God it's being brought up to a motor and tyre size it so richly deserves!
Yep!
My car was originally built for a series with engine options limited to 2.5l N/A and tires to 205 wide R-spec's.

The good thing about that (if the team have a very high budget) is that an extreme amount of development is done to enable high cornering speeds without relying on grippy tires.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Wow

That's far more power (albeit a larger engine) and Devek or anybody else in that arena has got that I'm aware of. Maybe that's why Devek is no longer... Who knows.

Honestly I never understood why those engines never made big power given the 32V DOHC design.

i believe Tuomo was somewhere near 750 hp, and decided to build yet another engine !

dyno numbers are in here somewhere.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...e-streets.html

but i haven't been keeping up with the project since he let Carl in Needham drive it.

Originally Posted by Ispeed

Tuomo let me drive this car at Tass's GTG last month. Thanks Tuomo!
This thing is holy $hit fast, and I have to admit I was scared to get near peak power. The only other thing I can compare it to is a 996TT X50 I drove, and this is quite a bit faster. My .02c

p.s. I have driven a murph '89 5 speed making 470 at the wheels, and a DR '90 GT making 400+ at the wheels, and they were both strong but this 928tt is sort of in another ball park.
I would say that the DR "90 GT was the most drivable and usable (of them) in my opinion.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
i believe Tuomo was somewhere near 750 hp, and decided to build yet another engine !
But that was a turbo engine. I'm talking normally aspirated.

TonyG

Quick Reply: LS conversions. Let's hear it.