Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:39 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is anyone here running dual master's for brakes? What sizes are you running and which calipers? Right now I am running standard 951 calipers, still trying to work out the brakes on the track. car with full tank of gas and me in it is a little shy of 2850. Not getting as much bite as I would like up front. I'll have to check to see what size my masters are, but the car isn't in front of me at the moment. Pagid oranges, which I will likely change to DTC 70s
Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running a non boosted dual AP master setup with a Tilton bias adjuster. I should have the information on size, it is critical. We moved the fulcrum point on the pedal and reinforced it. Calipers are Turbo S fronts, stock turbo rears. Pads are DTC70 front, DTC60 rear. Rotors are stock rear and 14" fronts. It stops very well.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Doc,

I am running a non-boosted DMC with Wilwood MC's, turbo S front calipers and turbo rear (DTC 70's F/60's R). IIRC, I run a 5/8 front MC and 3/4 rear MC. I have a bias on the DMC but have no way to change it while on track. Therefore I also have a bias adjuster on the rear line in the cabin. Works very well once you get used to having to press hard. I moved my brake pivot point by 0.75" for more leverage.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Interesting.

Distasterman, I would love to know what sizes you are running. Glad to hear you guys are running DTC's as well. Looks like I have a 13/16F and 5/8R. Should I flip them around? This is the first time I have really messed with manual brakes.

I also drilled my pivot point higher on the pedal. Thinking I should have gone a little higher though, as the pedal pushes down a little lower than I would like for heel/toe.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a tilton pedal setup with balance bar. 1" front master, 3/4" rear master.

TonyG
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 AM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I switched to Pagid Blacks up front for more bite, Orange still in the back. Mine is a Tilton pedal box, balance bar, 5/8" Wilwood master for the front, 3/4" rear. Calipers are BigReds up front and stock turbo rears.

Rich
Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I also drilled my pivot point higher on the pedal. Thinking I should have gone a little higher though, as the pedal pushes down a little lower than I would like for heel/toe.
Doc, drilling the MC attachment higher gives you more leverage, but also means that you increase the stroke, so your pedal would go even farther down.

If you want less pedal travel, you can go up in size on your combined master cylinder sizes but that also means that the pedal is harder to push and with the same leg force you will have less pressure at the calipers.

First I would try the DTC 70's up front and see if that works. If you still need more bite on the front end, you actually need more pressure and you can do that by decreasing MC size (at the cost of increased stroke, but not increased leg pressure). I would try swapping your MC's, that will increase bite to the front while maintaining the same stroke. If you end up with too much bite a the front end, then two 3/4 masters might be the trick (stroke and pedal feel would remain the same as you have now).
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Had a great day at Hallett today with the car. Felt a lot more confident with the brakes, and I think going to a DTC 70 just may be the trick. Put my wife in the car for 3-4 sessions and she drove it with zero issues. I was a little worried she would have trouble putting that much pressure on the brakes, but it didn't bother her at all.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't tracked my car and have stock turbo brakes. My DMC system uses a .625 F and .7 R with the pedal drilled .75 in up and the bias at .48 (a little toward the rear).

Last edited by arthropraxis; 05-04-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: checked notes
Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM
OEMTim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one using manual brakes and a pedal box?
I expect to get that mounted this weekend and have the car running/driving too.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OEMTim
Am I the only one using manual brakes and a pedal box?
Nope. I've been running mine with a Tilton floor-mounted pedal box for a year now. Love it.

Rich
Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM
OEMTim
Instructor

Rich,
Did you mount the pedals to a plate on the floor?
I'd love to see what you did if you have any pictures!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rlets
Nope. I've been running mine with a Tilton floor-mounted pedal box for a year now. Love it.

Rich
How does it affect your seating position? Right now my wife has to sit pretty far forward to make sure the clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor for release, so we have a lot of room that we can move the seat back. I have been debating the floor mounted system, just to get rid of the stress on the firewall.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A local guy in the PCA club is working on an LS3 based car, car is basically all complete with the exception of installing a Tilton pedal box aswell. If i remember right he had to redo the seat brackets to change the driving position.

Its funny because i thought i would have the only LSx swaped 944 running around Long Island.. turns out he lives about 10 minutes away and his car is also red! .

I am hoping my car will be done by early / mid June. Cant wait to drive it .
Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 AM
OEMTim
Instructor

I have to use the pedal box or my MOMO Daytona makes it nearly impossible for me to get out of the car. Also, I can't really see my mirrors. I'm going back almost 6 inches and everything seems to be perfect in that position.

Quick Reply: Official V8 Registry.