Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upcoming Projects for '86 951

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:34 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post
Default Upcoming Projects for '86 951

At some point in the following weeks (pending the arrival of the necessary parts) the following projects will commence on my '86 951:

Replace all water hoses
Replace vacuum lines to include venture delete
MBC install
AFR gauge install
Boost gauge install
Swap out stock wastegate with Lindsey Dual Port

Done a lot of reading here on the list in preparation for the jobs. All seems pretty straight forward with the exception of the wastegate swap out. Apparently my '86 with its one-piece crossover may be prone to offer up quite a challenge.

Anyone with proven tricks of the trade, advice, words of encouragement, etc..., your inputs are always appreciated.

Anyone in the Colorado Springs area willing to lend a hand (I'm lookin' at you, Chris!) feel free to let me know so I know how much beer to have on hand!

Pics and progress to follow...
Old 06-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

The Wastegate will be the biggest pain and the hoses will be the biggest mess. The factory WG brackets and mounting are not fun. You might consider a Tial wastegate (high quality, rebuildable, easier to install, etc.) unless you need the Lindsey for race rules. All the rest is pretty straight forward. With the boost controller and wastegate going in, I trust you'll keep the boost stock or have some way to tune for the additional boost?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Understand I'm likely facing considerable frustration tackling the wastegate. Just went out and sprayed all of the hardware with penetrant in an effort to start lead turning the work. Going with the Lindsey as I got a pretty good deal on a brand new unit that had never been installed.

Yes, will be keeping the boost at a stock level (for now) until I can add the necessary components to tune for any increase. Going with the MBC now as a "while I'm at it" thing. Seemed a credible direction to go as I have replaced two CV's already and vote to now eliminate the CV.

On a side note, the PO installed (or had someone install) a Weltmeister chip. Haven't done any research, but I'm guessing it's a fairly old upgrade. Anyone have any background info on this chip?

TIA.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally, the Weltmeister chips came with a shim that had to be installed in the wastegate. You might check your wastegate when you pull it to see if it has the shim.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you take the x-over pipe out, mark where there's some room on the turbo side of the engine, then, once you've got it out, cut it there and weld in v-bands or a flange. As in, make it a 2-piece. I haven't done it yet, but after the last time of R&R'ing that son-of-a-$%&*%^#&$&-F'ing-&%&&@%#&&$%-PITA 1-piece x-over, I promised myself that the next time it comes off it's getting cut.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by Crackership
when you take the x-over pipe out...
This brings up a question of mine... After doing some reading here on the 'List, I've seen what would appear to be conflicting inputs as to the necessity of removing the crossover. Will it be necessary to remove it to remove the wastegate?

What say ye, fellow 86 951 owners?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EJZero1
This brings up a question of mine... After doing some reading here on the 'List, I've seen what would appear to be conflicting inputs as to the necessity of removing the crossover. Will it be necessary to remove it to remove the wastegate?

Fellow 86 951 owner here... nah, not necessary at all. Someone said it above, but the bracket can be a bit of a pain - but just disconnect the bracket and it all comes off pretty easily after that.

I will say - if you can put the car on a lift, it's actually NOT a bad swap at all. If you have air tools, you're even better off. I was luckily enough to have the former, but not the latter at the time I put mine on.

When I pulled my old ones off, I think I did shear off 3 of the 4 studs - but who cares? That's on the old wastegate anyways. I bet that they would have broken free if I used an impact wrench though.

Overall, it shouldn't be that bad. When I did the install, I put in the full Lindsey 4" exhaust, the DP wastegate, and the MBC - took me about 6 hrs in total, but about 4 of those hours were getting frustrated with the exhaust. I would put the WG and MBC install at about 2 hrs total.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EJZero1

You know what? I totally got caught up in thinking about things to do while you've got the x-over out, that I forgot to think about whether or not it needed to come out... It doesn't. Sorry about that. But cutting it is definitely a good idea for whenever you do take out the x-over.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:08 AM
doabarrelroll
Pro

+1 on the x-over pipe cutting. The only thing is that you have to have everything loose before you bolt it down, otherwise it won't seal properly.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Alrighty then. Thanks for all of the inputs everyone.

Disassembly starts today with pulling fuel rail and intake manifold, and perhaps wastegate if time allows.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Just a little update and perspective so far...

Actually started with the wastegate removal, and not until today.

I'm typically an "expect the worst" kind of guy, and after reading many of the posts here with regard to wastegate removal, I was expecting a hellish experience. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Wastegate removal was pretty easy and straight forward using the Clarks Garage procedure. Wastegate came out with the inlet pipe and mounting bracket attached. Nothing really daunting about it. Entire process took perhaps a couple of hours, allowing for a little bit of head scratching. No broken hardware or bloody knuckles.

Lindsey DP wastegate on the bench now with bracket transferred over. Awaiting a parts delivery with crushrings before I can put her all back together. Will plumb for the MBC as long as she's up on jackstands.

On a related note, ordered a custom panel from Front Panel Express which was delivered yesterday. Awesome product with awesome service. Two thumbs way up! Just mocked up for now until everything is plumbed and wired, but real happy with the way it looks. Car is black/black, so went with a red panel just to add a little color!
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 PM
White_951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crackership
when you take the x-over pipe out, mark where there's some room on the turbo side of the engine, then, once you've got it out, cut it there and weld in v-bands or a flange. As in, make it a 2-piece. I haven't done it yet, but after the last time of R&R'ing that son-of-a-$%&*%^#&$&-F'ing-&%&&@%#&&$%-PITA 1-piece x-over, I promised myself that the next time it comes off it's getting cut.
This.......
Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Forgot to confirm...absolutely no need remove the crossover to pull the wastegate on the '86.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Just a little update here.

Factory wastegate replaced with the Lindsey DP. Exchange was actually quite easy. Lines aren't hooked up yet as I'm in the middle of replacing all vacuum lines now. Really nothing really photo-worthy about it as it was pretty straight forward.

Accomplished the venturi delete part of the project today. Did a lot of pre-reading before diving in as that rats nest under the intake can be pretty daunting for a first timer. In the end, it too went pretty easily. I do have a question though. The stock line between the intake and venturi had a plastic insert in the line. Looks like a restrictor of some sort. Is this something I need to include in the new line between the intake and brake booster? (See pic...)

I did have a casualty today. In the process of installing new lines to the ICV, the mounting bracket gave up the ghost. In the process of sourcing a replacement now. Anyone got a spare?

Being fairly new to the Porsche game (~2 years now) I must admit to slight twinges of concern while looking at the various stages of disassembly in my garage. Fuel rail on the bench, intake on the floor, pile of discarded vacuum hoses in the corner... I'm fairly meticulous about labeling while disassembly, photos, etc... , but I anticipate a considerable amount of anxiety when I hit the key for the first time after reassembly. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it within the next week or two.

More to follow...
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

EJ, since the ISV is under the intake, it is subjected to a lot of heat and stress. They are a fairly common source of air leaks on our car, so what I did is to simply let the ISV rest on top of the intake. The electrical connector will reach this far. Dont even worry about bolting it back into the stock mount; that way if you ever need to get to it, it takes 2 seconds.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Projects for '86 951