Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
Harry - I fixed your avatar....

just kidding!!
What is funny is that for some time, I was thinking of running an EEC-IV from a 2.3 turbo on my 89 (the avatar is my SP3 track car, so stock PCM), as half the MAF conversions on those are based on work I did with a friend of mine at Ford who had a Turbo Coupe (I had a Merkur). I ended up deciding to just go wtih a Megasquirt for cost and cleanliness, but I do like the idea of a MAF on any car that may be tinkered with periodically.

Along those lines, though, I wouldn't at all be opposed to dropping a new 5.0L in the 89, if I thought it would fit.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
What is funny is that for some time, I was thinking of running an EEC-IV from a 2.3 turbo on my 89 (the avatar is my SP3 track car, so stock PCM), as half the MAF conversions on those are based on work I did with a friend of mine at Ford who had a Turbo Coupe (I had a Merkur). I ended up deciding to just go wtih a Megasquirt for cost and cleanliness, but I do like the idea of a MAF on any car that may be tinkered with periodically.

Along those lines, though, I wouldn't at all be opposed to dropping a new 5.0L in the 89, if I thought it would fit.
Thats what they make torches for!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Just to close the loop for the archives, I did notch my bell housing, and competely agree it makes the cluch job much easier. The bell housing went right on with the sensors installed and gapped -- no probelms at all. It saved me hours of leaning over the motor setting the sensors and if I ever need to change the clutch again (knock on wood) I'm sure it will save significant time. I'm a believer, thanks all!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Just to close the loop for the archives, I did notch my bell housing, and competely agree it makes the cluch job much easier. The bell housing went right on with the sensors installed and gapped -- no probelms at all. It saved me hours of leaning over the motor setting the sensors and if I ever need to change the clutch again (knock on wood) I'm sure it will save significant time. I'm a believer, thanks all!
Hi Five bud !!
I will have to get a ride in that bad boy to confirm it's Tom tight!!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 AM
barks944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motronic will count every tooth so it knows its position. Motronic divides a tooth into 4 with a timer to get its ignition accuracy. From experience this is a doddle with a 16hmz chip so should be easily feasible with 8mhz.

If you are down a starter tooth you will be out on the position of the engine during part of the stroke. Best case is you loose one close to the ref sensor so the DME can correct before ignition zones. Also depends how motronic handles its processing internally, this might mean there are other undesired effects.

Quick Reply: Notching the bell housing worth it?