Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Notching the bell housing worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
How does the s2 have the sensor mounted in front of the car? or is it 60-2 fly wheel?
Flywheel
Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Flywheel
OHOH so u would still have to deal with those sensors back there. what is the adv (less teeth to count)??
Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Darwantae951

Some argue (and prefer) that it makes the install cleaner because the sensor is in the factory location.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Some argue (and prefer) that it makes the install cleaner because the sensor is in the factory location.
Yes true i would have liked that way. however having everything up front is so much easier in every way. If you can install it right it can be clean as well. There are tons of cars bmw for example that have the sensor up front as stock location using 60-2 wheel. Modded how do you have urs mounted? I have mine up front.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
HAHAHAHA!!!! nice!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by reno808
Yes true i would have liked that way. however having everything up front is so much easier in every way. If you can install it right it can be clean as well. There are tons of cars bmw for example that have the sensor up front as stock location using 60-2 wheel. Modded how do you have urs mounted? I have mine up front.
Mine is up front off the crank.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Adding sensors at the front of the engine is anything but cleaner than stock.

How does it "make things easier"?
If people have to mess up with their sensors everyday, then there is something wrong with their set ups to begin with.

A sensor at the front of the engine will always be in the way of accessing the belts, and having to remove and reinstall the sensor each time the belts are being accessed means increasing the risk to misadjust it when installing it back.

At the stock location, it is set once, and can be replaced afterwards without having to readjust its height.

Last edited by Thom; 01-13-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Thom
Adding sensors at the front of the engine is anything but cleaner than stock.

How does it "make things easier"?
If people have to mess up with their sensors everyday, then there is something wrong with their set ups to begin with.

A sensor at the front of the engine will always be in the way of accessing the belts, and having to remove and reinstall the sensor each time the belts are being accessed means increasing the risk to misadjust it when installing it back.

At the stock location, it is set once, and can be replaced afterwards without having to readjust its height.
I would contend that the person who designed the setup has a MUCH larger bearing on how clean it is than the actual location. A great many OEM's place the sensor at the front of the wheel. Ford churns out more cars in a year than Porsche does in a decade, and theirs are all mounted on the front. And I'm not sure why the belts are coming into play here, unless you mean the timing belt. I've never seen one mounted ahead of the accessory drive belt. They can certainliy be designed such that there will not be any adjustment necessary. It requires effort, and properly machined parts, which will likely mean buying a setup, rather than doing a one off.

As I said, I'm putting mine in the factory location, and I'm going to manipulate the trigger, rather than the pickup. But if I were not pulling the engine (or specifically, then flywheel), there is no way on earth I would go through that effort just to keep the factory location. I'd be in touch with Chris right away. Probably be stuck trying to figure out something else given my preference for a Ford system (36-1) over the Bosch system (60-2). But I'd rather change that than pull the flywheel.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I can offer up a technical answer on a couple of things –
There is an optimal crank angle position for the location of a crank sensor – it is just before the maximum ignition timing angle. Typically you don’t want / need to run more the 40 degrees of ignition advance (the Autothority chips run more than 40 degrees off boost timing!), so you would want the crank sensor to use a location signal that is just before that point. With the 60-2 tooth trigger wheel and the Electromotive system the position of the crank sensor should be 11 teeth before TDC (66 degrees). You can change this in the advanced settings if you have some sort of restraint in the mounting, but the 66 degree position is strongly preferred. The Haltech system recommends a position between 60 to 75 degrees.
The front mount trigger wheel that I have is laser cut to fit inside the belt housing, it uses the flange on the ribbed pulley drive to locate it for zero runout and it uses the four bolts to line up the trigger wheel timing to the correct location (66 degrees before TDC with the supplied crank sensor mount).
So it does “make things easier” since the optimum timing location is set up in the design. Yes, it does have to be reset when you mess around with the front end (and to paraphrase a post – “f people have to mess up their front end everyday, then there is something wrong with their set ups to begin with”!)
What about the stock sensors?
The 951 set up uses two sensors (twice the failure rate, twice the replacement cost, and twice the probability of them seizing in place) - one to count the teeth on the starter ring gear (which is not the optimal square tooth pattern – it does not produce a clean square wave signal) and one to count the set screw that is the TDC locator. If you are using a standalone system that allows for use of the stock triggers then you are adding a software based emulator to calculate the crank angle. Hopefully its not Microsoft based (<- humor)!
The 944 S2 based flywheel has the 60-2 tooth design instead of the ring gear system (see – even Porsche upgraded their EMS components!). The problem with the S2 set up is that the flywheel uses a smaller diameter clutch and pressure plate. The size difference is not a problem for clamping ability – but it does mean that you have to replace the whole clutch/pressure plate and flywheel to convert. The other problem is that the S2 flywheel uses a sensor location puts the TDC signal at 20 teeth before TDC – that’s 120 degrees instead of 66. Most engine management systems can compensate for this - but it is less than optimal.
To some people (mostly racers and track addicts) the ease of replacement of any mission critical sensor is a plus. I cannot imagine changing an old stock crank sensor at the track (and I have replaced head gaskets at the track!). More than half of the stock crank sensors I have had to replace had to be destroyed to remove them. And since you mentioned setting the sensor height….yeah, that’s fun (and accurate) system….not! On the front mount set up I can set that to a couple of thousandths in a minute – without loosing any skin on the back of my hand!

Here is a pic of an S2 flywheel for those of you that have not seen one –
And a pic of what the cool racers use….
Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Harry - I fixed your avatar....

just kidding!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by 67King
Ford churns out more cars in a year than Porsche does in a decade, and theirs are all mounted on the front.
I suppose I should get rid of my 951 in favour of a Taunus, how could I have missed out on such a great car...

Chris,
We discussed this subject here.
A 132 teeth gear allows more speed resolution than a 60-2 unit, out of the box.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thom
Chris, We discussed this subject here.
A 132 teeth gear allows more speed resolution than a 60-2 unit, out of the box.
On the most base level the more teeth you have the greater the possible resolution. That being said do you know how your system is using the impulses to calculate position/speed/rate of change?

Here is a little math for you – with a 132 tooth gear at 7000rpm the time between teeth is .065 milliseconds. Is your system calculating the position, speed and change in speed every .065ms? Or is it using a software emulator to calculate the position? BTW - .065ms is 15,400 position calculations per second. While a decent CPU would not have a problem most emulators reduce the complexity of the signal quite a bit – and that gives up any benefit of more teeth!

BTW – there are some systems out there that calculate engine speed once a revolution. They can use all 132 teeth to do that, but in the end they are just counting teeth to figure out when the engine has made one revolution and then the ECU figures out the timing. That lowers the resolution from 132 teeth impulses to 1 revolution signal. Hopefully those type systems are fading out…but they are still out there!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:07 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I understanding correctly then - if there is a broken tooth on the starter ring gear, it will actually affect the timing of the engine?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
On the front mount set up I can set that to a couple of thousandths in a minute – without loosing any skin on the back of my hand!

Here is a pic of an S2 flywheel for those of you that have not seen one –
And a pic of what the cool racers use….
In all fairness Chris, I have met one or two 944 owners that have hands MUCH smaller than yours... I'm sure they could just reach right in there to the rear mount sensors...
Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris White
While a decent CPU would not have a problem most emulators reduce the complexity of the signal quite a bit – and that gives up any benefit of more teeth!
While I have no doubt that most modern ECUs can handle all teeth, can the now-dated factory Motronic also count them all?

Quick Reply: Notching the bell housing worth it?