Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:57 AM
Diver944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep up the good work Pat. Even with all your extensive changes it still looks like a 944 which is good.

Not something you could say about the Silvia ( I think)
Old 09-14-2014, 08:17 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No surprise, another work of art!!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Diver944
Keep up the good work Pat. Even with all your extensive changes it still looks like a 944 which is good.

Not something you could say about the Silvia ( I think)
Thanks Paul. The Silvia isn't necessarily pretty but it's an amazing vehicle. Should see it from the rear now. Massive ground effects tunnels. Should be interesting to see how it goes this year.

Originally Posted by blown 944
No surprise, another work of art!!
Thanks Sid. Hey I'm back now. Do you want me to try and get some sort of contact with those guys down here still?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 AM
blown 944
Race Car

I received a response via FB, but I need to adjust my phone plan for international calls. I'm also look I ng in t o a solution in the us
Old 11-21-2014, 01:12 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you selling off parts of your car?

or are people just using pics of your car whenever they want?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-944-...d72bbc&vxp=mtr
Old 11-21-2014, 03:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

That's from the fabricator that actually made some of the body parts as shown in the pics. So all good, but thanks for looking out for me. :-)
Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Postage down under is US$1277.89. I hope he gave you a better deal Pat, seeing how he is using your car in his ad lol
Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Work of Art!

Last edited by Cyril; 11-23-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:27 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Just adding a bit more on this thread so I can direct people to it who are asking about certain aspects. Rather than me post pics in other's threads that is.

So here is the new 'sealing system' we put into place a few months ago. We had got to the point of having to replace the Cometic head gaskets after every meeting. We also did a little bit of minor damage to some bores by having coolant sitting in the cylinders between taking the head off to replace the headgasket. Minor 'rust rings' I guess you'd term them. The motor is coming apart as I write this and the ring while tactile to the 'thumbnail test' looks like it will respond to a light honing and we can reassemble it with new rings and same pistons. Hope so anyway. A new larger 8v head is in the wings too. More of that later.

So we decided to use a local company to 'O' ring the liners and make up some Beru rings that would sit in the groove. We also had another local company make up a Copper head gasket. So far so good, we've run it a few times on the dyno at 25psi and on the track under sustained boost and we didn't lose any coolant. Really nice when something works straight up. Now that the motor is being pulled down we have found that both the rings and the gasket are in great order and we will be reusing them when we have the new crank and head available.
Attached Images      
Old 12-13-2014, 09:33 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Copper and o-rings. Nice. Old school!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-14-2014, 12:42 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Default PLAN Q:

Pulled rest of motor down to find this. Now is Toast. Yay! Whatever led to the failure had a resounding success through the whole motor. Not sure of cause but plenty of symptoms. Pity....

Neeeexxxxt!!!!
Attached Images      
Old 12-14-2014, 01:08 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely looks like a spun bearing leading to a broken rod. Wait.... rods still there? Thats odd.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:43 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I'm going to take a wild guess at this.

Those out of round tyres would have contributed to something, but i think the try sump pulley may have been to tight? causing some flex on the crank causing the crank bolt to loosen which caused the balance shaft main pulley to spin freely and damage the keyway all the way around which causes the engine to be out of balance badly which:
A) make the car shave violently
and
b) cause bolts to back out.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:43 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is that exactly as found, no other bolts undone other than the sump?

Wow. If so, lots happening with the cradle.

Needs some expert interpretation. I still have suspicions about harmonics.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-14-2014, 03:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hot-J
Definitely looks like a spun bearing leading to a broken rod. Wait.... rods still there? Thats odd.
Not spun bearing. Big harmonic issue. Somethings have come loose and caused massive vibrations which in turn saw parts break off the front of the motor. The first signs were the dry sump pulley shearing in half. Once this part was replaced with something more solid, the balance shaft main pulley sheared in a very similar way.

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I'm going to take a wild guess at this.

Those out of round tyres would have contributed to something, but i think the try sump pulley may have been to tight? causing some flex on the crank causing the crank bolt to loosen which caused the balance shaft main pulley to spin freely and damage the keyway all the way around which causes the engine to be out of balance badly which:
A) make the car shave violently
and
b) cause bolts to back out.
Some of these things maybe correct Pauly. I don't think it was due to the d/sump pulley belt being too tight but we'll never know now.

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Is that exactly as found, no other bolts undone other than the sump?

Wow. If so, lots happening with the cradle.

Needs some expert interpretation. I still have suspicions about harmonics.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mike
Yes, Mike. All those nuts were loose as marked by the texta on the cradle. Somewhere along the line there may have been crank whip but very difficult to determine what started this whole procession of failures. I very much doubt we will do any forensic analysis. More a bit of guesswork. Too many possibilities.
Now we will just have to bring forward the 16v motor. All the same, shame to lose this one so catastrophically. The interesting fact is that the two pulleys failed at almost the identical part on the track. Higher loads on motors are sometimes caused during backoff rather than full load. This might be one of them as the place on the track was through a fast turn following the main straight.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)