Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Something blew up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I suppose oil starvation would have caused the shaft to heat up to the point of turning blue-ish at the breaking point, which doesn't seem to be the case...?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxrick
Turbo upgrade

And with the M-Tune, no need for any kind of software reflash or chip change....
Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
I suppose oil starvation would have caused the shaft to heat up to the point of turning blue-ish at the breaking point, which doesn't seem to be the case...?
I mentioned to Dave that I had setup a crankcase vacuum line with a check valve, he didn't think that would cause anything negative related to oil flow through the turbo.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the smoking in your case was a precursor to the turbo giving out.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by carlege
maybe the smoking in your case was a precursor to the turbo giving out.
The thought crossed my mind, and Dave told me that I shouldn't need vacuum at idle to drain oil from the turbo - but that vacuum sure did make the smoke go away... right until the turbo blew up.

I've got a new Super 53 turbo on the way that will be here tomorrow. I'll try to get it installed this weekend and see how that one does without vacuum in the crankcase at idle...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Clown
Instructor

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
The thought crossed my mind, and Dave told me that I shouldn't need vacuum at idle to drain oil from the turbo - but that vacuum sure did make the smoke go away... right until the turbo blew up.

I've got a new Super 53 turbo on the way that will be here tomorrow. I'll try to get it installed this weekend and see how that one does without vacuum in the crankcase at idle...
Cool I run a super 53 (To4E 60 Trim StageIII 8 Hot) as well. Its the one I just got rebuilt. Sounds like we will now have very similar setups. Let me know how yours turns out. I am still waiting for C-Tune to arrive. Should give you a major kick in horsepower up from the K26 you were running. Are you going to take the PCV out and try that first?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:27 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

53 here too...and near ZerMatt!

Originally Posted by Clown
Cool I run a super 53 (To4E 60 Trim StageIII 8 Hot) as well. Its the one I just got rebuilt. Sounds like we will now have very similar setups. Let me know how yours turns out. I am still waiting for C-Tune to arrive. Should give you a major kick in horsepower up from the K26 you were running. Are you going to take the PCV out and try that first?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Blessing in disguise . I am looking forward to seeing that turbo in your car!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Clown
Are you going to take the PCV out and try that first?
Yes, I plan to try just the catch can first and go from there, but I do eventually plan to route the catch can back to the intake to prevent oil fumes from getting into the car if I have to.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:04 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This should do the trick...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Very nice! What are you doing with the old one? think it could be rebuilt?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:52 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Crackership
Very nice! What are you doing with the old one? think it could be rebuilt?
I guess it's possible. I think the center section is ok, but the shaft is split in two. I'm not sure that I'd come out ahead after buying a shaft (I think the turbine wheel is part of the shaft) and having it rebuilt...
Old 09-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess it's possible. I think the center section is ok, but the shaft is split in two. I'm not sure that I'd come out ahead after buying a shaft (I think the turbine wheel is part of the shaft) and having it rebuilt...
Correct, the only two components that make the /8 worth more are the turbine (which as you correctly thought is connected to the shaft) and the hotside. You have only the hotside which has some value if people want to put a custom turbine in it or they came across an /8 turbine somewhere else and don't have the housing. A very specific market would want those parts, but as a whole turbocharger that thing is done unless someone wants to sink more money into it than its worth. It might not even be possible to source a new /8 turbine as BW has discontinued a lot of the old production lines.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Clown
Instructor

I can read the specs on that brown paper. Looks like the same dimensions as mine. Is this going in today? Look forward to hearing how it performs and if there is any smoke with the new turbo....Keep us posted. Good luck getting it in there. You might have to do some grinding on the turbine housing and/or small screws on the intake manifold to get it to clear the intake manifold. I just put mine back in and it was a ***** lining up the mounting bolts and crossover bolts. Finally got it to line up with long pole, rachet straps, and a floor jack. I never took the exhaust side of the crossover pipe off only undid the turbo side. It would have been easier if I could be on top of the engine and underneath the car at the same time.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:09 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the turbo is essentially trash. I may be interested in the hotside for a Holset custom build. We are doing a test shortly with this setup. LMK

Quick Reply: Something blew up