Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It definitely needs a couple turbos... Since you have all that spare room in the engine bay...

Great build!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is someone building a twin turbo 944/V8 with a LT motor IIRC.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those heads look beautiful. I want to see them before you put them on!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM
95ONE
Race Car

ok.. I will call you. Im hoping they'll be done today.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Ok. Heads are finished. Here are some more of the same and some new.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

they look amazing bruce, when is the engine going to be put together? This was the last piece you were waiting on right?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Well, not exactly the last piece. But certainly the biggest hurdle. Now that I have the heads, I can measure my Piston to Valve clearance, then I can have the pistons fly cut to the exact amount I need and no more. (Keeping compression) THEN I can finish the basic motor and seal her up.

I still have the headers to make, Intake to make, Injectors to buy, Dry sump pump to get. BUT... these heads allow me to put together most of the engine and seal it up so I can get the install into the car finished up. Which will be another huge hurdle I get to complete.

So.. no fooling myself here. It's still a lot of stuff to do, but that stuff should really go fast. I will detail out every bit of the build here, so you will understand how much more has to be done to actually put this together. I'm dotting the I's and crossing the T's on this motor build up.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

awesome.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Thank you sir.

Since I'm here, I'll post what pics I have for now. I was hoping to have more, but I think you know how slow my machinist is...

I figured it might be time to do the Stock rocker upgrade and remove the old style trunion with free floating roller bearings that have a tendency to fall out and kill your motor. The trunion is the center piece the rocker rotates on. Comp cams sells a kit with sturdier caged bearings. Pressing out the old and installing the new was WAY easier than I thought. This first pic shows the Comp Cams Trunion kit installed.

I'm running too much lift for stock lifters though, upgraded or not, and I will be upgrading to a rocker that I feel comfortable with in the Spring. Motor won't see much high rpm until then anyway. Fingers crossed.

The next picture is of the head with the lighter test springs installed. you can see the difference between the real springs and the test springs fairly easy. These guys make testing Piston to Valve clearance much easier.

The next few pics are where the valves imprinted into the clay. Damn close if you look. On the other side where the intake valve is, it would have ran into the piston if I hadn't cut into the piston for testing. It only dips about .014 into the piston deck. It needs some serious fly cutting. I used .036" shims between the head and the deck of the block to simulate the smallest gasket crush thickness I think could happen. (Safety fudge factor)

You can also note, if you look close enough, the piston sticking out of the hole. Maybe a little higher for the pistons in this pic. This piston is from an old LS1 and why I am using them for test purposes only. They are throw aways. The Z06 pistons will be installed later. I am also measuring quench area in this stage. I discuss it a bit in another thread.

Hopefully I will have pics of fly cut pistons installed in the next week or so, depending on my machine shop. ugh.

Last edited by 95ONE; 11-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:33 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

those heads are chubb worthy. Are you looking to get rid of the upgraded rockers then? I may know someone looking for some..
Old 11-27-2011, 02:43 PM
95ONE
Race Car

No. I still need the rocker arms for a while. I will upgrade when i find a decent alternative. It's looking bleak / pricey for the ones that seem to be light on the nose and handle over 7Krpm.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:47 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Well. A few steps forward and one step back on the motor. I got all the fly cutting done. It was ridiculously tedious. I'm trying to make sure safety dimension are in place, but not excessive. This means all cuts must be exactly in place, and not a .001 off. That took about 3-4 throw away pistons. 2 good fly cutting bits. An insane amount of time, and one bad screw up on a good piston after it was almost completely finished. I had a piston vice borrowed from my head porter (who never got to it and now I know why) new fly cutting bits and a bit sharpener to radius the cut. It took forever to get the mill to start in the EXACT proper location ONCE I friggin figured out wherever the hell that was. (paper pic- some numbers were corrected later, So even this was incorrect "blueprinting") Good thing about the mill though. It's CNC. I don't really know how to program it yet, but I did figure out how to save a "home" setting. So once I got on piston all set up properly to start, I saved it's starting position. So All I had to do was all the intake cuts first by setting up that position and saving it. Then just swapping out pistons once and telling it to go home to start. So no crazy measuring on every piston to start. Once all the intakes were done, I moved on to the tedious task of finding the exhaust side start position, saved that, then swapped out pistons to finish that side.

The Bad; I was pretty far in without a hitch. On the third piston I was cutting the exhaust on, where I had already scrubbed clean, clearly marked its center line, and cut a nice intake valve relief already, The computer glitched. Horribly. I was cutting a bit of the first cut and while I was reading the measurements on the computer, it seemed that it stopped reading how far in i was cutting. I thought, "no Problem," I'll just tell it to go home and read the measurements from there. HAHA on me. I told it to go home, CRAZY numbers popped up on the screen and it just slammed the bit straight down at full speed into the piston. ugh. I recovered from frustration, restarted everything. Test cut some throw away pistons, fixed the slightly bent up tools, and finished the last 4 pistons. I found another piston for sale by itself and it will be here next week. Here are a few pics from that ordeal/fiasco.

I still have to smooth out the sharp cut edges. EDIT: Added pic of the sharp edges after wet sanding by hand this weekend. Puts a serious cramp in your fingers.

Last edited by 95ONE; 12-12-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by odurandina
awesome.
Nice new avatar as always.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
awesome.
screw the car... I'm looking at the chick...

TonyG
Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I finally made a little progress on the motor. I'm a bit worn out on it. I think I have to pull the two in the middle back out to make sure I didn't hurt the rings popping them in there. Such a pain in the *** to pop pistons in with rings. Well, anyway.. here are a few pics of it. I should have the whole bottom end buttoned up after Christmas weekend. Plastigauge showing the rod bearing clearance right where they need to be.

pics;

Last edited by 95ONE; 01-08-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...