M tune install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlturpin
If you notice the wear on my new expansion tank, just above the recirculation valve, this was from another vendors MAF kit I had installed earlier. The new one fits as it should no rubbing, even with the slighlty larger valve. I am sure I could have modified and made the other kit accommodate my recirc valve, but I did not. This is just one of the small things that Rouge spent the time on making sure everything fit, without interference with stock components. This includes the way the filter/elbow follows the contour of the Expansion tank, and does not interfere with the headlight mechanism.
That's exactly what I was looking at (well, other than those mis-matched clamps ). That 45 degree recirc connector on the pipe looks like he helps us fit larger recirc valves in that tight space.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 PM
supes6
Racer

I think 30 minutes is a little optimistic.. you have to remove the DME, open it up, cut the resistor, and solder some socket pins and jumper wire if you have an 86. then you need to fish the wires through for the MAP sensor and decide on a good location for it (and I added some sheathing for the portion exposed in the engine bay). then you need to either pull the alternator and dremel the top rectangle off it's cooling shroud, or just unbolt the shroud and move it a few inches away from the wiring so you can cut it in place. next, you'll be messing around with the MAF pipe for a good while trying to squeeze it between the alternator and hard cooling pipe for the turbo, while getting the filter end to tuck under the fender at the same time. If you've already dealt with these issues on a previous MAF install then it may go quicker but I would say 1-2 hours is more reasonable.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say that 1-2 hours is definitely reasonable.
There just isn't much room in-front of the turbo - going with the Nissan Quest alternator helps a lot!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
supes6
Racer

Actually I was thinking about doing the quest alternator too.. do you know any place that has good prices on them?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I don't remember where I picked mine up... But they are common enough that you should be able to find some options easily.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow is it really that big of a problem to get it to fit with the stock Bosch alternator?

I've been in there a bunch of times now but I don't recall thinking it would ever be in the way. I guess I'll have to take a closer look the next time I have the car apart.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Jim,
The M-Tune will fit with the stock Bosch alternator. In-fact, the MAF pipe was designed around a stock Turbo-S.
The Quest alternator simply makes it easier, and charges better as well.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can go grab an alternator for <$20 from the local pick and pull and they have a ton of Quests. Anyone know hard they are to remove from a Nissan Quest and what years/generation they came on? Most minivan engine bays I have seen look like they have been designed by Satan himself.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe you'd want a mid nineties alternator. You can tell if it's the right generation because the mounting brackets all look the same as the bosch units, but the alternator is smaller of course. Probably the cheapest route to go is getting a used one and rebuilding, it if need be, otherwise, I've been looking at this site: http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/nis...lternator.html

..... and a new/rebuilt unit ain't cheap.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

This thread has the info needed for swapping the Quest alt:

Nissan Quest Alt
Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool, thanks.

Back to M-Tune: I've decided to upgrade my K26/8 to a K27/8, it seems that I would almost need the MAF in this case as I suspect the K27 would exceed the flow of the AFM at even moderate boost levels. Is this the case? This project has already gotten out of hand financially, what's a little more money...
Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

A K27 will definitely outflow the AFM. And the more you are trying to flow through the AFM, the great the gain will be going to MAF.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were going with M-tune, a new A/F meter/gauge, and a new turbo, what would you pick?

What works best with M-tune?
Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM
blown 944
Race Car

The turbo doesn't matter within reason. The m-tune uses the MAF,map among other sensors are used to target specific cells for tuning. That is the beauty of 3 dimensional tuning.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
The turbo doesn't matter within reason. The m-tune uses the MAF,map among other sensors are used to target specific cells for tuning. That is the beauty of 3 dimensional tuning.
I guess I did leave out a lot of important details about my question. I'm curious what turbo will give me the most room under the curve. It is a mainly street driven 86 951. I'm not interested in a turbo the gives me a bunch of power for the last few RPM's. If I'm going with a tuning system that gives me maximum flexibility, why not pick the best turbo I can find to work with it.
BTW, my car will be using a stock long block, tial WG, 3" exhaust, SFR stage 1 header, Lindsey hard pipes, stock IC.

Quick Reply: M tune install.