Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

another stupid thread about MAFs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering why Joshua's system won't use the Ostrich2 Emulator? I see no reason technically why the Ostrich emulator could not be use with his system? Just curious as the reasoning for not supporting the Ostrich2 emulator?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
The Ostrich is really a DIY tuning process, so Rogue will help you figure it out but its not really a product he's selling. The Ostrich 2.0 is available for 175 plus 40 for the socket booster to use on the 24pin dme. Here's the link http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the...eed-p-169.html
The great thing about the Ostrich is you get to tune the car, and you can input all your upgrades with minor data changes in TunerPro or Maxtune. So you don't have to worry about sending chips in and so on, but you have to do all the work your self. Rogue was kind enough to supply the stock info in his bundle on the DIY Tuning page. If someone goes this way I can send you a copy of my setup for 55injectors, 3bar, and max psi..but you will probably have to tune it better for your car.

If you don't wish to tune but just want straight plug in and go then Rogue's products are top notch.

The A-tune is available already and I think it's around 300 but you need a 28pin dme. So if you have a 24pin send it to Rogue and he will change it for you for a small fee.

The M-tune is what everyone is waiting for I asked Rogue about pricing and it will be more than reasonable for what he's offering. His Maf will be the only true maf really on the market... Usually Maf kit's transmit a signal simular to the AFM so that way the computer understands it. But Rogue is taking it to a new level and making it so the computer understands an actual Maf instead of an AFM signal. Atleast that is my understanding, if I'm wrong... ignore me
Whoops, should have made my situation more clear. I have most the parts already (injectors, EGT probe, data logging, Tial, etc.) waiting to go on the car, planning for Ostrich. If I hadn't bought all the datalogging stuff and low-z injectors already I would probably purchase the A-Tune, well, yesterday. Plus, after hours of research, I kind of want to muck around with DIY tuning for a bit.

I think I'll wait until the Rogue Piggyback comes out and the early adopters of the M-Tune chime in. With the M-Tune and piggyback my car will be able to do everything I want it to in the ECU department and I can finally enjoy the car for a bit... or keep modding it.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 PM
scarceller
Racer

Got it, makes perfect sense. He's a smart man to protect his work.

Originally Posted by robstah
The Rogue setup looks like it has an encryption board on the chip, so it would not work with an Ostrich. The Ostrich requires a bin to push to it, and getting one off of the Rogue chip would require getting past the encryption board.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scarceller
I'm wondering why Joshua's system won't use the Ostrich2 Emulator? I see no reason technically why the Ostrich emulator could not be use with his system? Just curious as the reasoning for not supporting the Ostrich2 emulator?
Being able to use an ostrich with his MAF setup would be like "giving away" his re-written code...something he has spent years working on to make perfect.

Last edited by m73m95; 04-05-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott, DIY tuning is fun until you drive with a true maf setup. The smoothness of it is hard to rival. That coupled with the total capability leaves the door open for many other future mods. I used to love to tune and make changes but I have to say this is hard to beat. Mine is kind of like what you would like to do because of the larger injectors, hitachi maf, etc. It would be nice if it were easy to have a tuner be able to load up a tune for every injector, maf etc.. But that is just not realistic.

Having taken the DIY route im pretty sure I'd spend the money on his new setup and focus on other items if I had to do it over again.

And yes the code is encrypted. I think he has helped the community for free on many occasions and this hopefully will be a nice payback in the end.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
...His Maf will be the only true maf really on the market... Usually Maf kit's transmit a signal simular to the AFM so that way the computer understands it. But Rogue is taking it to a new level and making it so the computer understands an actual Maf instead of an AFM signal. Atleast that is my understanding, if I'm wrong... ignore me
John at Vitesse has offered "true MAF" code for a decade or so -- after re-writing the transfer function for the MAF. In fact, I think he coined the term "true MAF". Vitesse's V-Flex also incorporates a boost signal into the tuning equation. Just FYI.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Absolutely true Tom. I'm pretty sure Josh has been very respectful acknowledging that.

I'm pretty sure there are some significant differences that they could compare in the use of the map sensor.

Either way, it is nice to have options. I know I just couldn't afford johns stuff and being involved has certainly helped me out. I think everyone wins when new products come out to help this community. Hopefully both systems will be well received and fully understood as to why they are so different from massaging maf signals.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:12 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Wow guys, well I guess that clears up the mystery of the "Ostericklessness" of the Rouge system!
Dose'nt strike me as much of a loss, a more pertain question would be how idiot resistant is his system to install ( nothing can be idiot proof!) I can unsolder or clip resistors, so that's not a biggie.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Absolutely true Tom. I'm pretty sure Josh has been very respectful acknowledging that.

I'm pretty sure there are some significant differences that they could compare in the use of the map sensor.

Either way, it is nice to have options. I know I just couldn't afford johns stuff and being involved has certainly helped me out. I think everyone wins when new products come out to help this community. Hopefully both systems will be well received and fully understood as to why they are so different from massaging maf signals.

+1. And I know for me, the community focus that Josh has for product support, and keeping the manufacturing within the Rennlist community speaks volumes for his character, and his overall goals, and also the direction I will be spending my money. He's not doing it necessarily to make money (which don't get me wrong, making money is good, and Josh will be making money off his kits) but it's also to better the cars with a more affordable option.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schip43
Wow guys, well I guess that clears up the mystery of the "Ostericklessness" of the Rouge system!
Dose'nt strike me as much of a loss, a more pertain question would be how idiot resistant is his system to install ( nothing can be idiot proof!) I can unsolder or clip resistors, so that's not a biggie.
from what I've seen, it should be pretty damn easy to get the MAF running. I think the hardest part will be wiring in the MAP sensor.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott, DIY tuning is fun until you drive with a true maf setup. The smoothness of it is hard to rival. That coupled with the total capability leaves the door open for many other future mods. I used to love to tune and make changes but I have to say this is hard to beat. Mine is kind of like what you would like to do because of the larger injectors, hitachi maf, etc. It would be nice if it were easy to have a tuner be able to load up a tune for every injector, maf etc.. But that is just not realistic.

Having taken the DIY route im pretty sure I'd spend the money on his new setup and focus on other items if I had to do it over again.

And yes the code is encrypted. I think he has helped the community for free on many occasions and this hopefully will be a nice payback in the end.
You know, I've been thinking about it, and I really am leaning towards the A-Tune instead of Ostrich. I spend enough time mucking with the car, I just want to drive it. I can still keep the datalogging stuff, cuz that's never a bad thing to have, and in the future I can do the A-Tune to M-Tune upgrade once the funds permit.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Good choice Scott. I'm digging the performance of the A-tune. I don't have any set numbers from a dyno, but I can tell you that in my simulator the other day, a Ferrari 360 Modena couldn't get away...
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott H
You know, I've been thinking about it, and I really am leaning towards the A-Tune instead of Ostrich. I spend enough time mucking with the car, I just want to drive it. I can still keep the datalogging stuff, cuz that's never a bad thing to have, and in the future I can do the A-Tune to M-Tune upgrade once the funds permit.
Yep I'am still going MAP Sensor with the Maft Pro ( cause I'm funny like that) but I was told he can do a MAFT Pro chip! Don't know what it will but it sounds cool, so i'm down with that!
But yeah do you wanna drive or tinker, that is the question!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Zeff
Pro

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Good choice Scott. I'm digging the performance of the A-tune. I don't have any set numbers from a dyno, but I can tell you that in my simulator the other day, a Ferrari 360 Modena couldn't get away...
Does your car have no cats/testpipe/exhaust? The modena's wiki page says it pulls 60-100 in 6 sec. Very close to what many people tested on this site with light mods.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
+1. And I know for me, the community focus that Josh has for product support, and keeping the manufacturing within the Rennlist community speaks volumes for his character, and his overall goals, and also the direction I will be spending my money. He's not doing it necessarily to make money (which don't get me wrong, making money is good, and Josh will be making money off his kits) but it's also to better the cars with a more affordable option.
Well said gentlemen! I agree 110%.

Quick Reply: another stupid thread about MAFs