Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Holset HE351VE

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 AM
slap929
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holset HE351VE

Been doing a lot of research on holset turbo's today. From what I can tell holsets are the best for the buck. Most can be broken down and rebuilt. They can be cheaply had on ebay or craigslist, and many people(although I am not sure I would) rebuild them at home with out any special tools.

A few weeks a ago I remember someone, I think Rogue Ant, expressing interest in a variable turbo for our cars. Holset has the HE351ve which comes on a 6.3L cummins diesel engine and flows similarly to the Holset hx40 which has the potential of 60 lb/min.

The problem is how to actuate the turbo. During my research today I found this (Jeremy Clarkson voice)...

http://poststuff3.entensity.net/0114...a=streaker.flv

but then I found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYrthG0Yq9I

I dug a little deeper and found out that the diesel people have figured out a way to run the thing on a Arduino micro controller looking at EGT, throttle position and possibly RPM.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/...rol-t-360.html

So... Is this worth even looking into, as in, are the benefits of a variable vane turbo negligible? Anyway thought someone would like to consider it or at lease discuss it.

Oh and some other cool pics of the holset http://forum.diyefi.org/viewtopic.ph...&t=199&start=0
Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

yeh I'm playing with the gt37vgt and gt35vgt problem i see wich makes them not very good for the 951 is they are so massive i have remade almost everything on the left side of the engine bay to fit one in ..
A also prefer to try and do an install with reduced EGT's as they were designed for lower EGT diesels.
so i think they are a good thing for rear mont turbo conversions and e85 same time this way you dont have to re engineer your engine bay and you feed them cooler gas
Old 01-16-2011, 01:10 AM
slap929
Pro

I am looking at either a hx35 or a H1c, and cannot really determine which one to get. Both are the same price. I dont know if I can rebuild the H1c and I dont know which would work best, if well at all.

Anyone run a HX35 or a H1c?

Gt37vgt- yeah i could see how that would be a fitment issue with the big box used to house the actuating devise, im guessing. You should post some pics of the engine bay. would love to see what all had to be done to accommodate the turbo.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:06 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Slap!

Luv the avatar? I have a few i would luv to send that 2 ..........
Old 01-16-2011, 03:41 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've ran both, get the hx.

One thing you want to realize about the Vgt is that the hotsides are HUGE!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Slap929, replied.

+1 Sid, get the HX.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:53 AM
slap929
Pro

Cool, thanks guys. Next question. Have seen people do home rebuilds of their turbos, being careful to mark everything before dis-assembly(I am assuming to keep the turbo balanced). Has anyone done this enough to recommend it? And yes I do know the consequences of a turbo letting go.

Awayne- Thanks. I found it on some random forum. Thought it was funny too. Those engines are cool though. Have a great video that goes through the entire rebuild procedure. Makes it look to easy. I wish there was someone who would make one for our cars. If I ever get an engine, I might just break down and do it myself. There isnt enough DIY/support for our cars.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:22 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slap929
I am looking at either a hx35 or a H1c, and cannot really determine which one to get. Both are the same price. I don't know if I can rebuild the H1c and I dont know which would work best, if well at all.

Anyone run a HX35 or a H1c?

Gt37vgt- yeah i could see how that would be a fitment issue with the big box used to house the actuating devise, im guessing. You should post some pics of the engine bay. would love to see what all had to be done to accommodate the turbo.
I haven't run an HX (or any turbo yet, for that matter) so I can't comment the way Rogue or Blown944 can.

However, I will say... DON'T BUY ONE FROM EBAY!! The one I got, with the "No Shaft Play" description, is junk. Its not even worth spare parts. The thrust washer has worn so much that the compressor wheel has burrowed into the housing.

The HX35s are everywhere. Every dodge cummins pickup has one. Call salvage yards, and only pay for it after you've checked it out yourself.

Also, here is everything you ever wanted to know about the holset turbos. This forum has pages about them.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turb...urbos-faq.html
Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've built quite a few and the holsets are Not hard to rebuild. If you keep the wheels matched you won't have a problem with balance but you can send off the rotating parts to gpopshop for around 75

Quick Reply: Holset HE351VE