Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is everyone's project for 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So John, does that bar mean that you have removed the stock alu bumpers permanently? I have been tossing up this idea but having had a few crashes I think I'm going to keep the stock one even though they're pretty heavy. Possibly saved my motor from serious damage in the most recent incident.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with for the dash too. Something unique no doubt. Mine will be pretty prosaic but functional. Amazing how much the stock one and all the heater components and wiring weigh!
Nah, the bumper shocks and bumper remain, I just cut out the frame cross member, this bar replaces it. should make for easy engine install. Not to mention, teh stock cross member is sheet steel, this cross brace is chromemolly steel tube.. should be MUCH stronger than the sheet metal it is bolted into!

And allows for much more space for other interesting things to happen in this area!

I am back and forth with the dash, it is out, uncovered, sitting on the workbench..still not convinced on gauges, but I have seen some interesting ideas

All this and I am keeping the factory AC! although the power steering is getting some moderate changes:Evilgrin:

It is a work in process, but many of the bits and pieces are on hand already.. and I have garage space for the time being!

The most fun and interesting bits are what AREN'T in the pictures I posted! One of these days, I may do a group shot of all the neat bits and pieces.. one day!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Eric, which race seat did you wind up buying? Did you manage to find out what offsets those OZ wheels come in? I'm thinking of a new set but can't quite find what I need.

I think the s/c will be great judging by Dubai944's videos!
Patrick,

I went with the Sparco Pro2000 as it is ADR approved.

I can get the Oz in 18x8.5 F ET53 and 18x10 R ET65. Plan to run these with 245F 265 or 285R.

Eric
Old 12-30-2010, 01:55 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Ha, yes John I know you're keeping quite a few bits and pieces up your sleeve. Ever seen the movie 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' hehehe

Thanks Eric,
While I think of it, I'm pretty certain that Steve / Dubai944 is moving back to QLD...maybe even Brisneyland so he'd be a great person to contact for ideas on your project.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm a slacker compared to most of you guys... They only thing I have planned as far as winter work is to "freshen" up the brake system. Read as: rebuild the calipers and replace the master cylinder.

I might also take out the fog lights to save a little bit more weight.

Oh, and I need to figure out why none of the lights on the right side of the car work... Fuse is blown, and as soon as I stick a new one in, it pops. Car's due for inspection, so I have to find the short and fix it.

Other goals for 2011? To get two local 944 guys to the track - I think it's time to introduce them to the "crack addiction". And I'd like to hire Rick Bye for some coaching.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The need for a bigger exhaust means I will probably do this mod this year, but since the GTX turbos came out I feel like upgrading the turbo as well!

I have had Constantine's TT bearings sitting on a shelf for a year and haven't got the time to rebuild a spare TT, I hope I will get the time to do it this year.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Van that's an honorable goal. To get more guys onto the track to see how good their cars can be is great. The more the merrier.

Thom, go on, you know you should update the turbo. You know it makes sense.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Do tell sir... I let some more out about mine...

time to show yours.. dont have to get graphic, but general ideas are fun to watch grow..

Hell I dont even have a thread here, but have been known to post a picture every now and then...
I posted a teaser in the 3.0 Liter Sticky...
Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 AM
carbogecko
Intermediate

Location: san diego ca. '86 944T metallic grey ps3 name carbon_gecko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks i'll remember that.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Hmm, what the h/g or the OEM headstuds? Perhaps I didn't go back far enough but somehow I thought you meant a recent post Tom?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 AM
944 turbo cabrio
Advanced

Very interesting progress around the globe.

I primarily have 2 open issues: suspension and stroker engine build.
As funds are rather limited (sigh) I have purchased parts over the past year to buy when cheap and divide costs.

I plan on installing the LR 340 RWHP w/WBO2 kit I bought used some months ago. I will at the same time increase displacement to 2.8 stroker (missing only the pistons the rest is in my basement so if anybody have pistons with relocated pin I am very interested!). I will also have a stage 1 head from Eclou to put on the car.

What is more needed is actually suspension up-grades as I will be at the track at least 5 full days in 2011 and the suspension is all stock (from 1991) - stiffening and adjustability is hence very needed.

As I don't have cash for the new KW V3 coil over that I would love to have I have searched some time
for a used coil over set - so far with out luck :-(
If anybody are upgrading I could be interested in used well maintained coil overs (for instance Leda, GAZ, KW V3 or H&R sets) that are streetable and trackable.
I have already purchased most bushing replacements and LR trans and engine mounts.

Lastly I will install 330 mm GT3 discs and calipers in the front as my car is at the limit brake-wise already and all upgrades I do will make the stress even worse - I then happened to be fortunate enough to find a dead brake project in Holland where I could buy all items.

So, that was all my projects for 2011 - lets see in a years time how many that actually have been accomplished to a finished level :-)

Cheers to you all for 2011!!

Niels
Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Stop teasing, what's up!?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Tom has been unfortunate with a head/block combo that didn't seal correctly, I think his main goal on this new motor is to work on avoiding this potential issue.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 PM
DanR
Drifting

get used to the new car with the engine at the right end
new cage install completes next week then off for an interior respray.
Do the Sebring race in feb which is the first of the season
then apply new graphics wrap
Old 12-31-2010, 04:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Nah, the bumper shocks and bumper remain, I just cut out the frame cross member, this bar replaces it. should make for easy engine install. Not to mention, teh stock cross member is sheet steel, this cross brace is chromemolly steel tube.. should be MUCH stronger than the sheet metal it is bolted into!
i cut out my sheet metal cross member and replaced it originally with a steel bar 3/8" thick, bolted entirely behind the bumper shocks but the middle section was the same width as the shocks (so as not to block air). weighed a little more than the sheetmetal but was very sturdy.

crashed my car a few months later and hosed the whole front end of the car, bumper got a hole put in it, frame rails crushed etc...steel bar barely dented. saved my radiator and ac condenser from the certain death that my oil cooler sadly suffered (mounted in front of the bar).

new front end as you can see in the avatar has a bolt in piece between the new rails with two 5/8 square tubes as the cross-bracing. spaced them apart to be the same as the aluminum bumper bar of the 951 front end im putting on, again so as not to block airflow, there will be some ducting put there to the rad.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:09 PM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My plan is to replace the turbo, which I almost have removed. Suspension refresh and front bumper cover respray. Happy New Year everyone!

Quick Reply: What is everyone's project for 2011?