Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is everyone's project for 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default What is everyone's project for 2011?

So we've seen the usual "What did everyone get this Xmas" but what about what you are trying to achieve next year/season?

Put down legit projects or just your dreams and hopes. I know there are a few out there that will come to fruition in 2011. Some exciting cars should be finished.

Duke has his amazing trackcar that will be running sometime next year. Plus there's a few more due out of Sweden in the coming months. Maybe 95ONE will have his super lightweight beast back on track soon. How about Rolex's car blinding us with Bling. What's the ETA on that one Chris? I know you've got a bunch of stuff on the boil currently. Mr JOKA's project sounds interesting from the few clues he's let slip. CPR is always up to something. What about the guys from D9, they have a few projects on the go that looks fantastic. I know down here we've got a few 3L S2 motor projects due in the next few months and Thingo's 968turbo will get done one way or another. I am sure there are a LOT more out there, so speak up and give us something to think about during the holiday season.

Ok, I'll start. This is my list of what's currently happening to my car and what's to go in very soon. I am just applying for a proper race licence now so hope to get the car up and racing against some very quick Porsches, Lotus', GT40's and other fast cars. Should prove very exciting if not a little nerve wracking initially.

-So the car has just had it's roof swapped over to a non sunroof model. Great for extra headroom and lowering the C.o.G.

-Cage that is welded in and compliant with our Motorsport bodies.

-New 3L motor to go in. This will also mean sorting out the Traction control.

-Moton 2 way clubsports. Decided that the 3 ways were going to be just a bit too much info to bite off, plus they're quite a few thou$and extra.

-Cup Brakes. Well almost sure. Did a bit of research and 'Real' race brakes are a LOT of money. Still a bit hard to find out a true definition of the differences between them, but there are difference I'm reliably informed. Still, the Cups should be fine and dandy.

-Pedal Box which will allow me to remove the booster and m/c perhaps freeing up that side of the car for the oil tank for dry sump.

-Dry sump...as above. The car currently has a custom made wet sump that would be as good as you can get short of a proper dry sump, but there are other advantages to a d/s system apart from safer oiling.

-Fiberglass dash with integrated Moton datalogger dash. Going to run a bunch of alarm lights and mostly rely on them rather than a huge amount of gauges.

-Carbon fiber doors...if they get finished soon...fingers crossed.

-Heated windscreen for demisting. Probably sort out a simple fan mechanism too.

-New paintjob. At this stage sticking with Black, but might look at either some other feature colour or even some vinyl wrap.

-Still not sure about ABS. If I can stretch the budget I'd like the Bosch Motorsport version but it's a big chunk of change to order, install and shake this down. Somewhere in the $15k region so not to be taken lightly!!

-What to do about wheels and tyres. Currently able to fit 265/285 proper slicks. I'd like to run a bit bigger than this but then this means widebody conversion which I'm not sure I'm quite ready to do. The problem with slicks isn't just that they seem to be a bit wider than some other tyres. It's that they're taller. This affects not only ride height, and clearance, but also caster which is very important with slicks. It allows you to run less neg and stabilises the car especially under brakes.

Anyway, these and other things are rattling constantly around my tiny brain.
Put down your projects into this thread and give us something to be jealous about. Happy New Year and bring on 2011!!!

Last edited by 333pg333; 12-30-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking of building an engine...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the majority of my maintenance items completed and the interior refinished.. I have already started on some of it, but I have a long way to get there...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Finishing my build! Ran into another snag. Something is not lining up with the wastegate to crossover connection...We'll see how everything turns out after I loosen everything and try to finagle it into proper position. Not much in the way of progress outside of steering rack fully installed and brake cooling ducts in place...

Old 12-29-2010, 01:16 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Patrick I hope you do all of that in 2011.

My plan is to compete in PA Hillclimb Association events which require I get a rollbar/cage and a couple other safety items. So kind of a project
Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

This got put on hold for a while, but when Michael gets back from Arizona after New Year's, I'm going to post up a long list of parts I'm selling from the car, and buy the V8, since we've found the guy who will be doing the bellhousing adapter. Also, if anybody's got a line on another Mitsubishi Heavy Industries TD05H 14B turbocharger in usable condition that I can have on the cheap, please PM me, I need to boost BOTH cylinder banks so one isn't going to be enough
Old 12-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-Fix oil leak(s)
-Fuel pump, injectors, WG, MBC, WBO2, etc, etc. (have most of this already)
-Ostrich + Tuning
-Rebuild K26/8, possibly replace with K27/HX35/T04E 50trim?
-Exhaust sometime...

Not necessarily in that order.

If there's any money left, 350lb springs, 30mm torsion bars and 968 M030 sways.

Originally Posted by JDS968
This got put on hold for a while, but when Michael gets back from Arizona after New Year's, I'm going to post up a long list of parts I'm selling from the car, and buy the V8, since we've found the guy who will be doing the bellhousing adapter. Also, if anybody's got a line on another Mitsubishi Heavy Industries TD05H 14B turbocharger in usable condition that I can have on the cheap, please PM me, I need to boost BOTH cylinder banks so one isn't going to be enough
Holy smokes that's going to be an insanely fun car, for any amount of money. What cars did that turbo come on?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
Holy smokes that's going to be an insanely fun car, for any amount of money.
That's the plan!

Originally Posted by Scott H
What cars did that turbo come on?
1990-1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, and Plymouth Laser, [all the same car actually] only the 5-speed manual versions (automatics had a TD04).
Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Den951
Intermediate

Bringing my car out of the 80's, MAF, full suspension, new wheels, Tail wastegate, I'm hoping to get a new turbo close to the size of my 26/6 but one thats far better designed. Not looking for big numbers just a funner car... If its possible
Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 AM
p5th
Burning Brakes

RS carpet kit(not-felt),interior redone in leather, 968 3 spkr door panels,better suspension, and install all the parts I have now!.....Oh!...And find A V1 splitter somewhere from someone,CPR...you have a pm! Try to find m419(rear luggage dump shelf).....DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Main goal for the '89 is to get it out of the shop, lol...

Would like to finish sorting the '86 out & have ready to race for the new season.
Then do fender flairs & maybe look into a trick exhaust.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts

My car is currently at the shop getting prepped for paint. Now that most of the performance modifications are finished, I'd like the cosmetics to be perfect. I've already ordered the new batwing & side rocker pieces from Sunset.

Also having the hatch resealed & the 951 hoop spoiler pieces added.

Other 2011 improvements will include:

3M clear protection
Light window tint (hatch being done while off the car)
Fabspeed 3" exhaust to replace my B&B
Zeitronix ZT2 WB O2
Larger intercooler

Probably a few more things will follow, but I'm looking forward to enjoying the car even more in 2011.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Modded; looks like your car and mine are at almost same spot if that is a new photo. Ditto exhaust. Using Fabspeed bought from a lister with 38mm Tial and adaptor plates. Problem seems to be WG and mount for front of torque tube want to occupy same place in the time space continuum under '86 951s.
Goals: get it running next month. Followed by inspection and license. Break in slowly this spring then start tuning and turn up boost by Apr-May. ( I here by pledge to use only the 7# spring and keep hands off the MBC till have 1k miles on new engine....). Figure out if going to do tires for the 16" Fuchs or look for some 17-18" off late model P cars. Decisions and $........
Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Modded; looks like your car and mine are at almost same spot if that is a new photo. Ditto exhaust. Using Fabspeed bought from a lister with 38mm Tial and adaptor plates. Problem seems to be WG and mount for front of torque tube want to occupy same place in the time space continuum under '86 951s.
Goals: get it running next month. Followed by inspection and license. Break in slowly this spring then start tuning and turn up boost by Apr-May. ( I here by pledge to use only the 7# spring and keep hands off the MBC till have 1k miles on new engine....). Figure out if going to do tires for the 16" Fuchs or look for some 17-18" off late model P cars. Decisions and $........
Mine is very close to the TT, but my problem is the elbow pipe. It is cocked probably 1-2 deg different than the crossover extension. It can slide on, but I just don't like it...Looks like I may have to think about this one for a while...

I do not know much about your project, I need to look it up!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan to swap the entire suspension from my 951 parts car into my NA to start the process of making a track car.

Thats all I can come up with right now.

Quick Reply: What is everyone's project for 2011?