944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 LS1 Engine Died... May fix or Sell As-IS

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Last time I checked, you could buy a brand new crate LS7 for $13,000.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:24 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
If I went LS3 it would be a cam on the large side for sure. In fact... I'd probably just buy a LS3 short block and buy a set of AFR heads to go with a big cam.

I'm just deciding if I want to even mess with it at all. No matter what engine I put in it... it will never win a GT2 class race.

That's why the decision to just sell it as-is is so hard.

TonyG
What keeps it from being competitive in GT2?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
What keeps it from being competitive in GT2?
Braking. Nothing will ever brake like a 911 running slicks due to the weight distribution. Not to mention that most of the fast cars run the giant ceramic brakes as well as well as advanced anti-lock brake systems.

That's the main thing. And that alone is worth a lot of time on the track.

The other is the ability to get on the gas hard out of a tight turn because of the weight over the rear tires.

And then there's turn-in. With no engine in the front, the cars turn in really fast.

TonyG
Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Braking. Nothing will ever brake like a 911 running slicks due to the weight distribution. Not to mention that most of the fast cars run the giant ceramic brakes as well as well as advanced anti-lock brake systems.

The other is the ability to get on the gas hard out of a tight turn because of the weight over the rear tires.

And then there's turn-in. With no engine in the front, the cars turn in really fast.
TonyG
Interesting, i had always thought of the "tail draggers" as having a disadvantage in many respects, but i see the light now...

At any rate, you're talking about two vastly different expense categories. How fast do you want to spend?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

With how much a 996 based racer would really be, I don't see why there could wouldn't be a way to make the LS1Porsche competitive. While the characteristics that you put up regarding the ***-draggers are real positives, some of those are also negatives.

Even though I can say I have Porsche blood in my veins, the rear engine stuff isn't ACTUALLY that good of an idea.

How about bigger brakes, MORE rubber in front, LESS weight in the front, and more power?

The anti-lock thing - I guess I am surprised to hear that stated.

Yep. I am very biased against the ***-draggers. I just realized how much so.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the 928 rear-suspension much better than ours?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TonyG
I think you've sold yourself on the 996, it's just about money at this point. I really think you should try something different. You're already pretty much an expert on driving the 951, it would be more exciting and interesting to move to the 996. A 996 spec racer could still be expensive to run, but if you can afford it, go for it. You're many leagues beyond any track driving I've ever done, so as you probably know it blows away the 951 in more complex turns for many of the reasons you pointed out, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway because there is one fascinating turn in particular that really sets them apart, and I've run both my 996 and 951 on it several times. Have you run Laguna Seca? The corkscrew was one area where my bone stock 996 blew away my 951. I could never comfortably push my 951 very hard through the corkscrew (even on race slicks), and could never set up as well for the fast left-hander that followed. The 951 was a bit unstable going in, and would track out badly on exit if I tried to push it 100%, but in the 996 on Pilot Sport Cups I could nail it as soon as I was pointed down the hill and easily turn through the second half of it, setting myself up perfectly for the fast left-hander, so I made up a lot of time against other cars on the track there.

I only prefer to track the 951 because I don't want to beat on my 996 - can't afford that - and if I wreck the 951, it's definitely not the end of the world. Can't say that about the 996. I love the turbo rush of the 951, and it's definitely more forgiving if you overdrive the entrance to a tight corner (no swapping ends as in a 996, which I've done a few times at Infineon).
Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear Tony!

You should go for LS3

And if anyone is thinking of buying an amazing machine, this is it! Best $15k you will EVER spend in your life! (yes, better then hookers and blow ... but may not be as cool as doing twins at the same time ...)
Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by roman944
Sorry to hear Tony!

You should go for LS3

And if anyone is thinking of buying an amazing machine, this is it! Best $15k you will EVER spend in your life! (yes, better then hookers and blow ... but may not be as cool as doing twins at the same time ...)

I decided that I want $20k for it w/o the seat, but with all the spares.

It's just got way too much in it in terms of money and development time. And at $20k, you can buy a $1500 LS1, swap in the cam from the old engine, and have the car exactly as it was before the engine died. I can't see labor being more than a $1000 to swap like engine for like engine (I have a 2 piece bell housing and the rear tire well is cut out so it's pretty easy to move things around).

Plus... I'd be giving up the last set of the GKN motorsport axles! (I can't tell you how many people have PM'ed me wanting to buy those....)

So for $22k you can have a car that will be cheap to run, super reliable, is fully dialed in and race ready, can be driven to and from the track, and will beat almost anything at the race track using "inexpensive" NT-01 tires.

That's still a sweet deal.

The spares include:

3 new splitters with the balsa composite inserts ready for paint
1 new power steering rack
1 new tie rod with end and boot
1 GT Racing LeMans rear spoiler (previously mounted for street use)
1 924 stock hatch (for events that don't allow Lexan)
2 spare 50% 315 NT-01 tires
1 custom trans tail section for external oil cooler
and more stuff that I just can't think about right now...

TonyG
Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ok...

Well... I finally did it. I killed my LS1 engine.

I'm thinking this car would be a GREAT deal for $15k as-is. With the conversion done, the installation of another LSx engine is a simple deal.

Thoughts?

TonyG

TonyG
LOL... Why not wait another week and ask 25K without the rear wing ...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So for $22k you can have a car that will be cheap to run, super reliable, is fully dialed in and race ready, can be driven to and from the track, and will beat almost anything at the race track using "inexpensive" NT-01 tires.

That's still a sweet deal.

+1 on the sweet deal. If it weren't for the freight cost I'd be in.

Tony, why did you go away from the RE control arms?

Mike
Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by A.Wayne

LOL... Why not wait another week and ask 25K without the rear wing ...
Maybe. I had time to think about what a fair deal would be. And that's what I'm willing to sell it for. And honestly... if nobody buys it, I'll slap in another LS1 and sell it all day for $25k with a Recaro seat. The $3,000 OMP seat stays with me.

I know first hand what it costs (and how long it takes...) to build one of these cars "the right way" and what it takes to get it light, and what it takes to get it to handle good. And it ain't cheap and it's not easy or fast.

At $20k it's a deal. A person can have this car done for under $22k all day long with a simple engine R&R, go drive to and from the track, and whip almost everybody, then drive it home.

That's the deal.

And just to clarify... the car will come with a Recaro seat. Just not the OMP seat currently installed.

TonyG
Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Tony-

That's still a steal for the level of preparation that's gone into this car. The LS1 motors are unbelievably inexpensive and all of the hard work has already been done. This is too tempting
Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 AM
brrgrr
Racer

Tony - If you put in an LS3 and ran slicks - how competitive would you be in your class ? My guess is you would be competing for wins. This seems like the most cost effective option. It sounds like cost isn't the primary driver here, and if that is the case then the 996 cup or similar would certainly be different ! Good luck either way - you've had a hell of a run in that car !

Tom
Old 09-23-2010, 12:13 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Tony have you considered doing a real weld-in cage tying to all the suspension points? Stiffening up your car would make a world of difference and should make your car much faster. The Spec 996 cars with good cages are exceptionally stiff which affords amazing handling

Quick Reply: 951 LS1 Engine Died... May fix or Sell As-IS