Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 LS1 Engine Died... May fix or Sell As-IS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brrgrr
Tony - If you put in an LS3 and ran slicks - how competitive would you be in your class ? My guess is you would be competing for wins. This seems like the most cost effective option. It sounds like cost isn't the primary driver here, and if that is the case then the 996 cup or similar would certainly be different ! Good luck either way - you've had a hell of a run in that car !

Tom

Running slicks... I have to be over 6.5lbs per HP.

Right now I'm at 2900lbs with driver and fuel and 390RWHP.

At 6.5lbs/hp (the limit for GT2) the most power I could have at the wheels would be 440-445RWHP.

That's exactly 50RWHP more than it makes with the LS1.

And while the car runs just above the middle of the POC Red Race Group, slicks and another 50HP at the wheels would only get it up to maybe 6th-7th at best

( I could get 440RWHP out of a LS1 if I wanted to )

Honestly, the car would be better off losing 200lbs (which is about the most I could easily do), going to slicks and bumping the HP slightly to 410RWHP.

But the problem is that losing 200lbs would mean that the car is no longer able to be driven on the street, which defeats the whole purpose of the car in the first place.

The purpose of the car is to be able to have a car that I could drive to the track on R compound tires, have somewhat of an interior, "reasonable" spring rates, lights, windshield wipers, a horn, etc... and go to any track day event and get a top 3 lap time of the day.

The car met that goal.

To take the car to try to beat factory race cars with excellent amateur or excellent professional drivers, would totally change what the car is about.

I'm better off building (or buying) a dedicated race car.

And if nobody wants to buy the car at $20k, I'll stick in another LS1 and just keep it and rent it out as a track day fun car / toy.

It is a blast to take off the big wing... stick on the GT Racing LeMans wing, and take it out on the streets to beat the crap out of every car that thinks it's fast.... mu ha ha.... Yeah.... I love doing that.

TonyG
Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by eclou
Tony have you considered doing a real weld-in cage tying to all the suspension points? Stiffening up your car would make a world of difference and should make your car much faster. The Spec 996 cars with good cages are exceptionally stiff which affords amazing handling

Yes. But then it would no longer be a street car.

The purpose of the car was to be a streetable car, sorta sneaky-by-design, that could drive to the track and whip all the expensive cars on track days.

I've done that. Then I took it farther and started racing it against full on race cars... and can beat almost all of them except for the fastest of the fast.

To beat those... it's not gonna happen in a 944 chassis. Plus... attempting to do so would turn it into a full-on gutted race car, which would eliminate me being able to drive it on the street with the small street wing, sneaky like... mu ha ha

TonyG
Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Yes. But then it would no longer be a street car.

The purpose of the car was to be a streetable car, sorta sneaky-by-design, that could drive to the track and whip all the expensive cars on track days.

I've done that. Then I took it farther and started racing it against full on race cars... and can beat almost all of them except for the fastest of the fast.

To beat those... it's not gonna happen in a 944 chassis. Plus... attempting to do so would turn it into a full-on gutted race car, which would eliminate me being able to drive it on the street with the small street wing, sneaky like... mu ha ha

TonyG
gotcha. I've just given up on dual-purpose cars. There tends to be too much compromise on both applications
Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by eclou
gotcha. I've just given up on dual-purpose cars. There tends to be too much compromise on both applications
So true.

TonyG
Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Is the 928 rear-suspension much better than ours?
Well, its not torsion bar based, so...
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Yeah, that's kind of where I am too with my car. I drive it to the track, still have A/C, heat, radio, carpet, etc.

I've built it more as a time trial car vs a wheel to wheel race car. If I decided to do wheel to wheel, I'd have to gut it, cage it, etc. I think it would be competitive with me being the weak link vs the car...
Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
Well, its not torsion bar based, so...
Yeah - has anyone though of transplanting a 928 rear-suspension?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by docwyte
Yeah, that's kind of where I am too with my car. I drive it to the track, still have A/C, heat, radio, carpet, etc.

I've built it more as a time trial car vs a wheel to wheel race car. If I decided to do wheel to wheel, I'd have to gut it, cage it, etc. I think it would be competitive with me being the weak link vs the car...

Well mine has an interior but no heat or a/c or door windows and just a 4 point roll bar.

I can beat 99.9% of anything driven to the track and 95% of everything trailered to the track.

It's the last 5% of the super fast track cars that have me beat.

So in the end... while it's a compromise, it's quite an effective weapon on the track.

TonyG
Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Yep, that's the difference in weight between your car and mine. I'm at 2950 without me in it and could drop anothrer 200 lbs out of it easily by ditching door glass, A/C, heat, radio, etc, etc.

Depends on what you want. I built it as a time trial and fun street car. I think it'll be very competitive in NASA TTS, it's at the top of the hp and lower part of the weight equation.

If you want to be uber competitive, time to run a Cup car. Operating budgets for those are very expensive though, I heard $1500 per track session!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah - has anyone though of transplanting a 928 rear-suspension?
It's too big and heavy. 996 stuff however.....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
It's too big and heavy. 996 stuff however.....
Really?
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2010, 08:11 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the 928 rear-suspension much better than ours?
I'd suggest looking at the front first. As for the 911, the symptoms shown at the back of the car are caused by compromises at the front.

that's why I asked Tony about why he stopped using the RE arms. Raising front RC height is a priority IMHO. And EFFECTIVE front RC height is affected by chassis rigidity...
Old 09-23-2010, 11:14 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Everybody...

Just bought a rebuilt LS1 with aftermarket cam and valve springs (with receipts) for $1,900 shipped from Texas.

Should be here in 4 days.

The shop is charging me $750 to swap out engines and drive accessories.

So... for $2,650.00, I've got the car back exactly like it was. Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love it.

Anyway... I figured it would be easier to sell the car with a running engine (and for more $).

So it looks like I will make the Las Vegas POC race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway - Oct 9th. Then the car is going up for sale, and the next chapter of my battle for GT2 supremacy begins!

TonyG
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 593 Posts

sweet deal Tony. That is a great price for a rebuilt unit with goodies
Old 09-24-2010, 12:16 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Everybody...

Just bought a rebuilt LS1 with aftermarket cam and valve springs (with receipts) for $1,900 shipped from Texas.

Should be here in 4 days.

The shop is charging me $750 to swap out engines and drive accessories.

So... for $2,650.00, I've got the car back exactly like it was. Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love it.

Anyway... I figured it would be easier to sell the car with a running engine (and for more $).

So it looks like I will make the Las Vegas POC race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway - Oct 9th. Then the car is going up for sale, and the next chapter of my battle for GT2 supremacy begins!

TonyG
$2650 over 4 years = $662/year engine wear and tear

Nice!

We used to run Nissan FJ20 motors at 530hp, and a changeout used to cost about $1200; all the expensive gear was on the outside. Gotta love "black box" motors!

Quick Reply: 951 LS1 Engine Died... May fix or Sell As-IS