Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My car is officially demon spawn

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:09 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 347 Posts
Default My car is officially demon spawn

So I leave work in it to head the 100 miles or so up to the shop to drop it off. This was to get the A/C working and diagnose why it's running rich.

About 20 minutes into the drive I start to notice fairly large amounts of blueish/white smoke out the back. Great, it's burning oil again!

So I get on the freeway and am in traffic. A state trooper comes up behind me, then lights up his lights. Hmm, I think, I guess he wants to get by. I pull over a lane and he's immediately switches to get on my ***. I'm totally baffled, I'm in traffic, going under the speed limit!

So I pull over and he walks up to the car. This is what he says, no $hit. Sir, I'm pulling you over because your car is emitting visible emissions. It looks like a mosquito fogger.

I tell him, yes, I'm aware of that, I'm literally on my way right now to drop the car off at the shop. He asks for my information, then says he'll be back shortly with a citation.

Citation?! WTF!! So I stew there in the car for 15 minutes and he comes back. I politely ask him what the fine is. (This is the best part) He looks confused and says, "Fine?" Yeah, I say, for the ticket you're giving me.

Him: Oh, this isn't a ticket, it's a court summons.

Me: Court summons?! WTF for!

Him: Well, your car is emitting visible emissions, you need to show at court.

So I look at the summons and it's for Sept 30th at 9am, at the court freaking 50 MILES from my house!

Great, so now I have to take a day off from work to take care of this crap that my COMMIE PINKO M-Fer state apparently has.

To top it off, I get to the shop, the tail pipe is literally *coated* in wet oil and the car is smoking drastically on deceleration. Turbo has maybe 200 miles on it since it got rebuilt.

I don't know what to do, shoot myself to put myself out of my misery, or shoot the damn car.

I've HAD IT with this freaking car! I've owned it for 5 months and have dumped inordinate amounts of time, cash and effort in it. I've missed pretty much every track event of the year so far and clearly won't be making my next one July 31st.

If this isn't something simple and cheap to fix, I'm ripping all this stuff out of the car and either parting out the car completely or dropping in an LS1/3.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:29 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap!
Sorry man.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Piston rings, valve stem seals or guides, or really badly scored cylinder walls.....ouch.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

Yikes! That is weird, someone is not connecting all the dots here.

I have a complete Turbo S engine you could put in it, could be running in a day. I guess it would not work with your engine management though. Maybe you could get a chip for a stock S turbo.

There is a cheap M3 for sale in Loveland and this one in Boulder for $8k:
http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/1783361656.html

might get you around the track while someone finally finds the root of whatever your 951 problem is.

-Joel.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 07-23-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pissed for you, brother. That said, keep in mind that there are plenty of us here that have had similar misfortunes with our cars. Many are still here. Stay positive, and patiently consider your options once the shop diagnoses the issue.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Joel, I may be giving you a call. If the problem is something internal with my motor it may be more cost effective to buy yours, transfer all the goodies from mine over to it and install it.

Thanks for the pep talk guys, but I'm rapidly reaching the point where I need to fish or cut bait on this car. I'm into it for far more than it's worth already, so if it's going to cost several thousand more to fix the problem with the stock motor configuration I can't see doing it vs going with an LS1 swap.

I'll get the same power as I do now on high boost and not have any reliability issues.

The most irritating thing is that I got a *court summons*! I have to take a day off from work to go to court to prove to them that the car isn't doing this anymore!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:51 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Got any lawyer friends or know a police officer that can make a call on your behalf?

Just a thought, thats a pain to take a day off work for that nonsense. Sorry to hear about your continuing issues.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Adam Poland
Racer

My car is truly the spawn of satan. $20k later, and I'm replacing a transmission. Luckily I've got a spare one laying around lol. Sorry to hear about that though... cops around here have been bad lately too.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

although your car was fogging I'm so outraged at the way emissions and noise are handled by authorities they dont video the car take sound level or gas test .. the simply allege something the motor-rest is then guilty until proven innocent .. you have to provide evidence that you are not guilty .... you are prosecuted with out trial
wich is i would imagine agiast the constitution..
Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I don't disagree that my car was blowing smoke, but I was *on my way to drop the car off at the shop*!

WTF was I supposed to do?? Tow the damn thing there, even though it was running just fine? In fact, when I left work, it wasn't really smoking at all!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
apitts73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i hear u!!

i just spent $53,000 on my car...LR everything!! and 1(yes, one) hour after start up.....BOOM!! oil check valve was siezed from the start so cam,lifters, valves, head, etc back to LR for free fixing!
wow...i know what u mean
adam
Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Damn man I feel your pain. I really do. I went through something very similar years ago when I used to be big into the Shelby-Dodge cars (Omni GLH Turbos, etc.) No matter what I did, or how much money I spent (to be sure I bought the "right" or "good" parts)... it was just one thing after another. Bearing failures, oil pump failures, turbo failures, cracked ring lands on the pistons, fuel pump failures, transmission issues... you name it.

One day on the way to work, after spending the previous 2 months putting it back together... BOOM. Trans let go, all over the road way (this was trans #3 BTW.) I called a tow truck, had it towed home, threw up a "for sale" ad on the Shelby-Dodge Mailing List (e-mail list, this was pre-ubb days) at a fire sale price, hopped in my other car and went to work. That evening someone came by and bought it. Good riddance. I heard the next owner had nothing but issues with it too and wound up parting it out. Cars do, in fact, become cursed! I'm a believer.

Best of luck to you. I remember being in your shoes, always chasing "one last problem and that should do it!" before I finally said "UNCLE!!" (Granted an old Omni is cheaper than a 944 to maintain and rebuild, but relatively, it was still tough as I was a college student at the time.)
Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Originally Posted by apitts73
i just spent $53,000 on my car...LR everything!! and 1(yes, one) hour after start up.....BOOM!! oil check valve was siezed from the start so cam,lifters, valves, head, etc back to LR for free fixing!
wow...i know what u mean
adam
Yeah it's horrible. The guys at LR are really good people and I haven't had any trouble with their parts, its just from us modifying an original motor with original rings, gaskets, etc. on an engine with 121,000+ (odo. quit working) miles....I'm on to internal work next, after I take a break since I finally *knock on wood* got it worked out.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Is the Aos hose to the Mac pipe getting kinked? When I started blowing obnoxious smoke suddenly that was the issue.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:28 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry for your pain with this car. It is not unheard of for a fresh turbo to fail. Hope that is the problem and not the engine itself.

Quick Reply: My car is officially demon spawn