Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My car is officially demon spawn

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:35 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 347 Posts

Engine hasn't been rebuilt, I just did rod bearings in it. Don't know if the IC pipes are full, they weren't the last time this happened and I had the turbo rebuilt.

Will hopefully know more early/mid this week...
Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Euro951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel for you, hope you get it straightened out. As long as there were no strange noises and your compression / leakdown numbers are good you should be ok. I would put on a known good oil feed and make sure your oil return is functioning correctly.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Quick update from the shop. No crankcase pressure being built up, so that's good. Some oil in the intercooler pipes and the car was 1 quart down in oil.

Dye is getting put in the oil and the car will be run for a bit to see where it's going, but everything is pointing at the turbo again.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CHM944
colorado cops suck big ones
Agreed!

Originally Posted by rdanford
Was talking to my mom's husband last night about the ticket...He's an attorney and muni-judge for some smaller towns up north...He asked if the cop has pictures, if not, shouldn't hold up in court and sounds like a bogus ticket....Let me know if you have any specific questions....
Sounds like solid advice.

I was given $300+ in tickets one night (1am to be exact) for having no emissions equipment on my car in Colorado Springs and the car being excessively loud. I tried to reason with the cops at the side of the road for over 20minutes as they were on their hands and knees under the car with their flashlights on. They told me that in the State of CO it is illegal to modify any vehicle from the manufacturer's specs and the way it left the factory. So I said what about the window shattering pipes on Harley bikes...and they got very quiet all of a sudden.

So I took it to court stood in front the Judge presented my case professionally and with eloquence and the fine went down to $20. What a waste of everyone's time...mine, the court staff, the judge, the two police officers..

These officers need to be reasonable and fair and know when to distinguish a situation the warrants a citation \ ticket \ charge and one that does not. They are not doing any favors to themselves, the public, the tax payers and the courts!

Good luck with your 951 and cross fingers for you!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by docwyte
Quick update from the shop. No crankcase pressure being built up, so that's good. Some oil in the intercooler pipes and the car was 1 quart down in oil.

Dye is getting put in the oil and the car will be run for a bit to see where it's going, but everything is pointing at the turbo again.
Wow. WTF?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yeah, it burned the quart in about 75 miles. Going to make sure it's the turbo, then it comes off and gets sent to the rebuilder again for inspection and another rebuild.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geeeze Doc you are having a ball with this dirty bastard.

only part of the cost, but a brand new GM LS6 longblock can be had as cheap as $3200 shipped. 405hp with 20X the reliability factor. And here is the cool deal - if you do manage to beat it into catastrophic failure, your local dealer can have another waiting for you in a day or two for $3k-ish

good luck with your car man, you deserve a break with it.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I'm seriously debating whether I continue with this motor or yank it out and put in an LS1. I figure I can sell my motor for good coin, then the KEP PP, Cup disc, lwfw, KISS cooler, get the turbo rebuilt and sell the complete kit and have more than enough to purchase the LS1 and all needed conversion parts plus some cash for contingencies or shop labor if I don't do the swap myself.

We'll see what the shop says where the oil is going for sure. If I can resolve this simply and relatively inexpensively, I'll stick with what I have. If not, I'm not sure I want to continue throwing time and cash at it.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm seriously debating whether I continue with this motor or yank it out and put in an LS1. I figure I can sell my motor for good coin, then the KEP PP, Cup disc, lwfw, KISS cooler, get the turbo rebuilt and sell the complete kit and have more than enough to purchase the LS1 and all needed conversion parts plus some cash for contingencies or shop labor if I don't do the swap myself.

We'll see what the shop says where the oil is going for sure. If I can resolve this simply and relatively inexpensively, I'll stick with what I have. If not, I'm not sure I want to continue throwing time and cash at it.
I presume that a turbo rebuild will be gratis? It damned well should be!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

The mystery is that you take a turbo that seems OK and drive on it a while and it gets bad, then worse, then much worse. Enough oil is going to the turbo that it can make clouds of smoke. Maybe oil cannot flow out of the turbo so it sits there, gets coked, the bearings die and then the oil flows out into the intake/exhaust.

I'd check and see if oil flows through the turbo decently. Not much else makes sense.

-Joel.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:47 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

What makes you say that the turbo seems ok? I think the turbo has been bad all along and it just takes a bit for the symptoms to arise.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:54 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What makes you say that the turbo seems ok? I think the turbo has been bad all along and it just takes a bit for the symptoms to arise.
Didn't it just get back from a rebuild?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yep, but that doesn't mean that the rebuilder didn't miss something or put something back in amiss...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

I recall the first time you took the car home and then drove to the track without alarming amounts of smoke coming out of it. Later on you got more smoke and oil consumption and decided the car needed repairs.

With the newly rebuilt turbo you also went from having a car you were willing to drive home from the shop to having a bug fogger that netted a visible smoke ticket in a week or so. I assume that if the car was blowing clouds of smoke you would not have taken delivery.

Therefore my impression is that the problems got worse after you got the car delivered... so it might be that the car eats turbos. You could feed it another turbo or try to figure out why this is happening. This sort of wear is uncommon so there is likely an external cause. I think Chris White also suggested an oil drain problem as a possibility.

-Joel.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Got more distressing news. The shop did a leakdown test and the car failed miserably. 10% 20% 30% 10%, air whistling out through the dipstick tube, so it's the bottom end, looks like a couple of cracked or broken ring.

No unusual amount of oil in the intercooler or pipes and the dye in the oil didn't end up through the turbo. So at least the turbo looks fine.

Shop will do a bit more sleuthing, but this is not looking good and I'm not happy about this at all.

Quick Reply: My car is officially demon spawn