Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ideas for moving car w/ front suspension & wheels off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:13 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ideas for moving car w/ front suspension & wheels off.

I currently have the engine out, and all suspension off crossmember included. I would like to fab up a simple way to move the car around the shop, also it will need to be able to go through grass.

I will need to use occasionally as might the other 944's in the shop. So not just a one time job. The shop were most of the major work is done, is about 1.5 hours from me, and i would like to do a few things here at my house shop, so I will need to trailer it back and forth.

I thought of this as I was driving home. SO I don't have the car to make measurement, so I was hoping someone migh have some helpful info.

I would like to use either some angle iron mounted to the crossmember mounting points or a crossmember w/ angle iron welded to the bottom. Then have some large wheels that would turn and go through grass w/ digging in like maybe riding mower, mounted to the bottom.

Any help w/ ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

why not just bolt the suspension back on quick?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:19 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Mainly because I stripped the spindles and hubs ectt.. off to be shipped on Mon to someone who needs them. Also I am upgrading to 87 hubs spindles, and big blacks. So I wanted to put the parts back on one piece at a time, after the engine is back in.

Also, I plan on using the suspension pieces from my track project. I had rebuild A arms w/ upgrades , sO after I use this temp setup, I will move it to my other project and remove the pieces I need there. Since my crossmember, is off and by its self, I could use it, and then grab the one from my other car when ready.

Plus in future, this would come in handy w/ other race cars in the shop or I will likley use again, so I might as well do now.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Furniture dolly. Harbour Frieght, $19. BTW works well with all the suspension off, front and rear, just have to watch the balance. You could use 2 to make it a little more stable.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin Baker
Furniture dolly. Harbour Frieght, $19. BTW works well with all the suspension off, front and rear, just have to watch the balance. You could use 2 to make it a little more stable.
+1
Although i ended up getting 3 of the small ones (to make a triangle) @ $9.99 each. The wheels are smaller though, so i don't know about getting through grass.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may be surprised at this, but you will be able to relatively easily pick the front end of the car up. If you've got help, just use a couple fo people to move it. Much easier than you think.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the front tie down points, and a hoist? To make it even easier, put dollies under the rear tires.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responces.

I need to have bolted up pretty tight, since I will be winching up onto my car trailer, and I may be moving around by myself while it is at my house.

I was thinking If I had a large bottle jack welded to some angle iron or the crossmember, at the top. Then I could have another piece of angle iron at the bottom to which to bolt some sort of wheels that can turn. Te bottle jack will allow me adjust the car height so that I will not drag the front bumper or anything underneath.

I have a old riding mower that I thought I might rob the front wheels and steering from, so that it will turn w/ minimal effort.

I am not looking to put too much money or time into this, so the furniture dollies sound good. AS the mower is ouside and it has been hot lately, not sure if I want to drag it to the shop to rob the front suspension from it.

Actually I was thinking of just using a trailer jack w/ a large wheel, just not sure if it will be stable enough. It would be the easiest.
Steve
Old 06-21-2010, 02:03 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Are you picking up the shell?
Me personally, i would just show up with the suspension off your old car. It will only take an hour or two to bolt it all on well enough for it to roll around and steer, and that way you won't risk damaging the new car doing something half-assed. You have to do it anyways!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:45 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Are you picking up the shell?
Me personally, i would just show up with the suspension off your old car. It will only take an hour or two to bolt it all on well enough for it to roll around and steer, and that way you won't risk damaging the new car doing something half-assed. You have to do it anyways!
If it was later in the year, and my other car was not stashed besides the shop in a bunch of tall grass, I would.

I may punt on the idea, but it would be nice to just bult up this piece when I plan to move and unbolt when I put in the engine. Rather then spending the time to round trip a bunch. Basically the time is the prblem for me where the car is, and I would like to get the most from it. So if I gould have something to work, I would be done in 5-10 minutes. Did I mention the heat index is like 105 in w/ 100 humidity.

Steve
Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Yeah, i hear ya.
Still, i bet it cools off around 7:00 or 8:00 at night!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Yeah, i hear ya.
Still, i bet it cools off around 7:00 or 8:00 at night!
I does, but not much lately. Seriously, I dont really want to be lying down in knee high grass in the evening if I don't have to. You??

I just want to get the car back to my shop at home. The shop where the cars are is still far from completion. My street car which I want to move is inside ready to go. If I could bolt up an apperatus to load it up on a trailer and take home. It takes me 20 minutes including the tye down. Why would I want to go lye in the grass at night to put on something that I will need to take off again to install the engine? 20 minutes vs 4-5 hrs.

If these were at the house it would not be an issue.

Steve
Old 06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...lly-37510.html

I may go w/ this and just have a hitch welded onto a piece of angle iron rather then mess w/ the cross member.

Bolt up the iron, and lower down onto this dolly and should be good to go. It has a 600 lb weight capicity, which I am sure I will be over, any idea how much w/ suspension and engine out?

Better yet, adjustable

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/North...item4ceffec6f4

Steve

Last edited by DrZ1; 06-21-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Sorry, i know how you feel. I just mention it because i went through the same thing just a month ago. I came up with a million ideas on how to move the car around with no motor trans. There's nothing easy!

I would guess that a shell like what you're looking at will weigh about 1400-1700lbs. That's based on the most stripped down race car i've heard of (~2300lbs) minus the motor (~550lbs) and transaxle (~125) and suspension (another 125 or 150?). Just a guess.

The only thing i can come up with in your situation would be two long 4x4's (boards), one in front, one in back. Raise the car up high enough (rest the 4x4's on some jack stands or start stacking 2x4's under the ends), with the 4x4's out far enough that you could back the trailer under the suspended car. Drop it down onto the trailer.

You could also come up with something to bolt to the rear suspension that had some casters on the bottom, but i have no idea how you'd handle the front.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:17 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the honest information. I don't want any problems from this as far as safty. I had not mentioned, that I just a few weeks ago removed and replaced the suspenion on the project so I could ge the engine out then move it ouside, to make room for my Dads project.

I have a local welder that has a small heavy duty axel, if I understand his description, I have him add, and adjustable hitch like the ebay link in my last reply, and a small handle. The ball will allow me to turn the front enough to manuver and w/ a locking ball tounge, it should be safe and sturdy.

Steve

Sorry, i know how you feel. I just mention it because i went through the same thing just a month ago. I came up with a million ideas on how to move the car around with no motor trans. There's nothing easy!

I would guess that a shell like what you're looking at will weigh about 1400-1700lbs. That's based on the most stripped down race car i've heard of (~2300lbs) minus the motor (~550lbs) and transaxle (~125) and suspension (another 125 or 150?). Just a guess.

The only thing i can come up with in your situation would be two long 4x4's (boards), one in front, one in back. Raise the car up high enough (rest the 4x4's on some jack stands or start stacking 2x4's under the ends), with the 4x4's out far enough that you could back the trailer under the suspended car. Drop it down onto the trailer.

You could also come up with something to bolt to the rear suspension that had some casters on the bottom, but i have no idea how you'd handle the front.

Quick Reply: Ideas for moving car w/ front suspension & wheels off.