Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project 951 young man's first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will swear on a stack of Bibles that you have not advertised or self-promoted items for sale in this thread. Discussing engineering concepts and applications is every FREE mans Right. Now, on to the important stuff...Gustaf and your son are sharing parts from the same engine? Holy Cow! Thats like a bloodline tie. Does your son get any visitation rights to Duke's magnificent car? I would give my cars left lug nut to be in that 'family'. The things you guys SEE and DO every day, I can only DREAM of. I hav'nt even SEEN another 951 in my neck of the woods in the last six months. PLEASE dont stop sharing, I may be laying in the backwoods gutter over here, but I'm looking UP at the STARS.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MAP Sensor can also be used with the original EFI - thats what I'm doing with my 3l turbo...
Patrick,
I suppose factory system have MAP from the factory; inside KLR box
Long time since last talked to you, can you give some additional information of your set up?

Gustaf and your son are sharing parts from the same engine?
Yes, that engine management system was used with Gustaf's 16V turbo engine when it was installed into Markus' orange 951. We have done co-operation with Gustaf for years. It all started about 6-7 years ago when i saw pictures of Gustaf's car and wondered what splitter he was using.. Finland & Sweden are so close to each other, so it's easy to do things like that.
We had few years ago a session in my friend's Pete's (pete95zhn) kitchen. Gustaf was also there, we discussed several hours about different turbo designs, drank a lot of coffee and eat cookies. Pete's wife thought we are grazy Parts also travel quite easily between these two countries. About a year ago my wife had a sea cruise to Stockholm with her friend. Ladies delivered one turbo charger to Gustaf

Last edited by Olli Snellman; 12-09-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 AM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Olli Snellman;8119135]Patrick,
I suppose factory system have MAP from the factory; inside KLR box
Long time since last talked to you, can you give some additional information of your set up?

Hi Olli,

my engine setup is the following: S2 crank and lower engine, changed pistons of the S2, Pauter rods, 2.7l head, camshaft of the 2,7l engine, original inlet plenum widened for 2,7l head, Lindsey Garret turbo, rest of it is more or less 951, some original 968TS parts and some parts I made for myself using samples of 968TS to get close to the original optic (like the locks for the front hood, Nacas with direct inlet to the original air cleaner, outlet in the hood for the intercooler,...) in addition the car will get 993 headlights.

the MAP sensor replaces the old flap in front of the manifold completely and only uses an adaptor cable to connect it to the original pins, the rest is done by the software on the chip inside the DME. The sensor in the KLR is not touched by this change (in my case I will upgrade it with the newer sensor and an electronic boost controlled).

best regards, Patrick
Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Sounds interesting Patrick. I got some time ago nice pictures from Martin taken from your car. He asked me not to publish them without your permission
Is this MAP conversion commercially available or is it a custom job? Somehow it brings Tom V. in my mind, but he has messed around more with MAF's.
My 3.0L parts list is quite similar except those US made parts, i rely on Finnish made stuff what comes to rods & turbos. I suppose we have a same source for 2.7L heads
Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Fredrik H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
I will swear on a stack of Bibles that you have not advertised or self-promoted items for sale in this thread. Discussing engineering concepts and applications is every FREE mans Right. Now, on to the important stuff...Gustaf and your son are sharing parts from the same engine? Holy Cow! Thats like a bloodline tie. Does your son get any visitation rights to Duke's magnificent car? I would give my cars left lug nut to be in that 'family'. The things you guys SEE and DO every day, I can only DREAM of. I hav'nt even SEEN another 951 in my neck of the woods in the last six months. PLEASE dont stop sharing, I may be laying in the backwoods gutter over here, but I'm looking UP at the STARS.
Actually, the engine from the orange car was shipped by Gustaf to Sweden, installed in the green hunter, and then went kaboom in a tragic overboost accident, I´m told that those few seconds it was a blast to drive. The engine management was then intended for my engine build, but I went with Link EMS in the end, so the Tatech EMS had to rest in my closet for a year or two, and then it took the route back to Finland and is now about to be installed in Lauri´s car. It´s been around the Baltic Sea for a lap.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Sounds interesting Patrick. I got some time ago nice pictures from Martin taken from your car. He asked me not to publish them without your permission
Is this MAP conversion commercially available or is it a custom job? Somehow it brings Tom V. in my mind, but he has messed around more with MAF's.
My 3.0L parts list is quite similar except those US made parts, i rely on Finnish made stuff what comes to rods & turbos. I suppose we have a same source for 2.7L heads
Yes - Martin and I got a nice source for 2,7L heads - there are still some available the thing with the MAP sensor is a development of the german tuner 'Eichner' and afaik only running in one car until now - but works great! disadvantage is that you cannot change things in manifold or exhaust setup without reprogramming the chips as they are very sensitive to pressure changes. On the other hand this conversion is much cheaper then Tom's MAF. it's only about 80,- € for the sensor plus welding the plate on the intake.

It's OK to publish the pics - I also do it... and most of the things are related to original 968 TS optics as everyone can see them in the net
Old 12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 944er-teile.de
the thing with the MAP sensor is a development of the german tuner 'Eichner' and afaik only running in one car until now
Hi Patrick
Are you refering to the red 951 with Kersher wheels that was at Reiner's Treff?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Yes that ECU have travelled a lot, made a Finland-Estonia-Sweden-Finland tour

If i remember correctly Gustaf first went to Tallin, Estonia and picked up that engine. We went with my friends to Tallin very next day and picked up a 968 from which that engine originally came from. Too bad we couldn't made it the same day as Gustaf, we had already planned with Gustaf to have a beer or two in Tallin

Engine installed into Markus' 951

968 in Japan

Picking up 968 from Estonia

That was just a fast trip, went to Estonia on morning ferry and we were back to Helsinki in the afternoon. Well, to make it more interesting, i went next day back to Tallin with my wife to have an nice romantic weekend in "old town" of Tallin

the thing with the MAP sensor is a development of the german tuner 'Eichner'
OK, thanks for the info Patrick, i have heard about Eichner earlier, he makes great job Good news travel fast in the european Porsche scene, europe is just quite small area after all

Thomas, was that 951 from Austria?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 PM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thom
Hi Patrick
Yes - that's it... it's owned by Emil Ott who is a very nice guy and helped me with some electronics. I was the one with the 931 front inlets and the 924 turbo S in the year before. Do we know each other?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Oli,
It was registered in Germany.

Patrick,
I think I discussed with him a little bit back then, he asked several questions on my engine. I wanted to "torture" him with questions when I spotted the MAP sensor on his engine that seemed to be plugged to the stock harness, but I got carried away with other people.
We met several times at Reiner's place, I posted on your 968T build thread on TTT. I have the white 951 with the 968TS rear wing. I visited Reiner last month, he said my engine was the best he had seen yet with his smoke machine - small victory
Old 12-09-2010, 02:44 PM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Ahh... Totomaster?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

My son bought a complete black interior including leather comfort seats, carpets, gargo area carpets, dashboard, center console, door boards etc, etc.. Son's 951 will get more international pieces since interior comes from this 951 which was bought from Belgium. It was started to put parts today and will be finished tomorrow. Empty shell wil be repaird and built to race use.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
My son bought a complete black interior including leather comfort seats, carpets, gargo area carpets, dashboard, center console, door boards etc, etc.. Son's 951 will get more international pieces since interior comes from this 951 which was bought from Belgium. It was started to put parts today and will be finished tomorrow. Empty shell wil be repaird and built to race use.

pretty cool load more pics
Old 12-30-2010, 03:48 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

As You wish

took some bad quality phone pictures of some winter activities

Heading to friends workshop

At workshop's front yard

Waiting for some clutch work

More or less in pieces

My friend draw some new parts for me, including this (not ready yet)....
Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

My friend got wrecked 951 in to parts. Helped a bit with my son to remove the interior, which turned out to be too bad condition for our needs
As a side project i promise to change seals to clutch master & slave cylinders for another friends Zermatt Silber 951. Harsh winter we have had has done some nasty things for those old seals. First we had to get some space for Zermatt 951, so my friend fabricated suitable stand which allows move empty body easily.
My friend welding stand together

Empty body on stand

Zermatt 951 ready to be repaired

Quick Reply: Project 951 young man's first Porsche