Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone want to guess where this leak is coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Anyone want to guess where this leak is coming from?

Hi
Anyone want to guess were the leak is ? I believe it is in the rear end...
Oohh that sounds bad.... You know what I mean
Thanks in advance
Ed
Attached Images      
Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well hard for us to see ..pics are too close .
monitoring oil levels is the other clue..
rear main seal ?
there oil on the torque tube ?
i wonder if oil could migrate down the inside of the tourque tube ..
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you could show a spot that _isn't_ covered in oil.

I think the idea that you've got just one seal leaking is a _little_ optimistic...

But looking at your axles, drive shaft seals for sure.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it would be worth while to spend a little time with some grease lightning and a roll of paper towels then drive around for a day or 2 and examine closer
Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Maybe you could show a spot that _isn't_ covered in oil.

I have a long list to complete before I can even get to this. I was hoping that someone, who had a similar issue, may have seen this before? I have had the car sitting for quite some time on jack stands...
Regards
Ed
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the seals on the oil cooler too?
I know! You could just trade that leaky oil-cooled mess for my nice shiney oil cool delete model!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Have seen similary "oiled" transmission when cooler was broke and also seals busted.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Have seen similary "oiled" transmission when cooler was broke and also seals busted.
Hi Olli
Well I hope it's just the seals? I assume they are replaceable ?
Any good treads, one could point me to, on this subject ?
Kind regards
Ed
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Here's a thread...

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...in-tranny.html

(Good news is it came right out the drain in several chunks.)
Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The leak is coming from inside the transaxle. The key to fixing leaks is keeping the leaking fluid inside and not letting it leak out.

Any more sage wisdom will need better pictures!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
The leak is coming from inside the transaxle. The key to fixing leaks is keeping the leaking fluid inside and not letting it leak out.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys....keep it simple.

944's have more gaskets/seals/o-rings than any four chevys combined. And in time most leak. Crazy, did this coating of oil just show up or have you ignored your undercariage for the past 20 years? If you are not a concourse freak, what I am seeing is standard for a 20+ year old car. If it just showed up, you have a large leak and most likely you have puddles under your car in the area of this large leak.

But gt37vgt is spot on. Check the fluid levels. There are only 5 places that have fluid, cooling system (coolant) steering system (atf) engine (oil), brake/clutch system (brake fluid), transmission (gear oil). The fluid level for the culprit will be low. So if the tranny is leaking, the tranny fluid will be low. If it is coming from the engine, you must be adding oil frequently. You get the picture.

Crazy, as others have suggested, clean the undercariage, determine what area is loosing fluid, then watch that area for seepage to find the specific seal that is leaking. Or you could be sick like I am and replace every seal/gasket/o-ring, just so your garage floor remains stain free.

Last edited by Bill; 03-11-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White

quoted in sig for pricelessness.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill
Guys....keep it simple.

944's have more gaskets/seals/o-rings than any four chevys combined. And in time most leak. Crazy, did this coating of oil just show up or have you ignored your undercariage for the past 20 years? If you are not a concourse freak, what I am seeing is standard for a 20+ year old car. If it just showed up, you have a large leak and most likely you have puddles under your car in the area of this large leak.

But gt37vgt is spot on. Check the fluid levels. There are only 5 places that have fluid, cooling system (coolant) steering system (atf) engine (oil), brake/clutch system (brake fluid), transmission (gear oil). The fluid level for the culprit will be low. So if the tranny is leaking, the tranny fluid will be low. If it is coming from the engine, you must be adding oil frequently. You get the picture.

Crazy, as others have suggested, clean the undercariage, determine what area is loosing fluid, then watch that area for seepage to find the specific seal that is leaking. Or you could be sick like I am and replace every seal/gasket/o-ring, just so your garage floor remains stain free.
Hey Guys
Thanks for all your input ..sarcastic and otherwise
I must be honest, as embarrassing as it may be, the car has been out of action for numerous years ...
More that three... less than 5
I have to say, that although I am inclined to that part of the female anatomy I really never paid much attention, to the rear end of the car.
I would guess, that what you see in those pictures, is 22 yrs of built up gunk. I did change the tranaxel oil back in 91 with Swepco. That is the last time I really paid attention to it. I really can only check the level of fluid at this point, as the car is in a million pieces ( Hopefully for only a short while longer ). I posted the pictures because I thought someone, may have had the same issue ( looked just like their rear end) maybe I used the wrong phrase there
Anyway, thanks for all your input and I will at least check the fluid level but further stuff will have to wait
Kind regards
Ed
ps
Or you could be sick like I am and replace every seal/gasket/o-ring, just so your garage floor remains stain free.
Actually, the floor shows no sign of oil .. It never leaked, that's why I never paid attention to it. Sadly Bill, I suffer from the same disease. ****-holic
Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting how only the transaxle case area is covered. The exhaust, CV boots, under carriage, floor pan, all clean. It almost looks like the tranny was oil undercoated and then you drove it in a Canadian (read salty and sandy) winter. My main seal was leaking and covered the tranny from stem to stern with oil. Of course I had to keep toping it off untill I replaced the seal.
Best place to start - Spray the whole thing with degreaser as others have suggested, and then see where the leak is coming from.

Quick Reply: Anyone want to guess where this leak is coming from?