Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How many lbs of boost do you run on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
aixgelo78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
See, I keep hearing this from all kinds of other people in other non Porsche forums. Plenty of people runnin 20-25psi on pump for years and no issues.

I have a bud locally that has a newer Mach 1 with sc kit and he runs stock compression (10:1) with 20psi on pump for a long time now and now issues........
I was advised by a tuner/builder, that its up to the piston/cylinder size. The smaller the displacement per cylinder is, the easier it is to run higher boost, the larger it is, you cant run as much boost. Has something to do with the stroke as well. Its been a long time, so be nice guys.... Maybe Chris White can chime in and shed some light on it.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemming
40 on 87 octane

Oh wait, we are not talking about 6.4L diesels are we?
You run 87 OCTANE in your diesel?

Originally Posted by Duke
Looking forward to the results with the new timing strategy
I have repeatedly been criticized for my timing maps (with more than a few listers telling me my timing was WAY too far advanced to be good), but hey, they have been working quite well for me!

I believe I can move it down the RPM range as well to get some better throttle response down low, but haven't had time lately to deal with the car...
Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by 951_RS
18-20 psi on 93 octane when it's really cold outside (40's)
Normally I run 18 or lower though. In the summer I plan to reduce it maybe 16 or so.
My afr's are never over 11.8 and I don't run overly advanced timing either.
Once I have the ostrich hooked up though I'll probably dial the boost down in favor of more timing. Right now I have no absolute timing control so I make up with more boost.
Careful there... From a HG-blowing perspective, cold weather may help the EGT's a bit, but that is offset by the extra oxygen carried in the dense cold air.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Hopefully in the near future Rogue will work some magic on a chip for me.
Working on it... Hard to find time. But I did an initial test of true MAF code earlier today...
Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Working on it... Hard to find time. But I did an initial test of true MAF code earlier today...
Nice!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
You run 87 OCTANE in your diesel?

I have repeatedly been criticized for my timing maps (with more than a few listers telling me my timing was WAY too far advanced to be good), but hey, they have been working quite well for me!

I believe I can move it down the RPM range as well to get some better throttle response down low, but haven't had time lately to deal with the car...
Looks very conservative in the part throttle maps to me. I believe mine is over 30 degrees in the spoolup area.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

the hole piston size thing the engine builder said is true but also a pretty broad genralisation..
So for a given fuel generally a smaller piston volume (of similar design ) with withstand a higher compression ratio . of "similar design " kind of complicates it engines that have good cooling with nice even temp tend to be able to run alot of compression or boost
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Looks very conservative in the part throttle maps to me. I believe mine is over 30 degrees in the spoolup area.
I agree with Sid, I don't see anything out of line there. If your WOT map is as conservative as your part throttle map, you should have 0 issues with the K26 at 1 bar.

BTW, I plan to run 20psi on E85 daily and 25 when I get the urge. On 93 octane, I plan to run 18. I do have V-Flex.

With a standalone you have full control of what is going on. I miss that.

Quick Reply: How many lbs of boost do you run on the street?