Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trade 951 for 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:59 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The daily driver vs weekend car is interesting. I only want the 996 as a toy and not DD.

Getting rid of the 951 is not such an easy decision. Its like family (I have had it since '98). A few paint fixes (the rear fenders in front of the tires where the plastic is) and the car would look perfect. Realistically, for a car I drive a few times a year, I am a few thousand away from what I want the 951 to be. The 996TT is another $20K. That $20K could be put in the kids college fund and pay for a lot of it.

Have to think long and hard on this one. I like the 996TT though....

-Dana
Old 12-22-2009, 04:40 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
One quick example well under $40k.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...001-996tt.html

I have seen many more right around $40k (and some $1-2k under) on Manheim and also on the usual online places (autotrader, cars.com). And most of these cars were former CPO. I agree with the consensus that i would buy one still under extended warranty though. But it seems other than the 2nd gear transmission issues of the early cars the engine is very reliable. I think the only real downside is you need to really set aside money for rear tires. I have a friend with a completely stock '01 and he gets 10-12k miles out of the rears if hes lucky.

All of the 993TT i have seen the last few months are easily in the $50k+ range. And yes, i would take a 993TT over a 951 or 996TT any day.. but they have held value extremely well.

You can find 996 non turbo's all over the $20k range (not including C4S), there are so damn many of them floating around. 993 n/a's seem to be in the high $20s.

I do not claim to be an expert on the pricing of any of these cars, but this is just what i have seen over the last few months of my looking.

BTW, have you thought about a C5 Z06.. brand loyalty aside, that is one hell of a car and you can find them in the low $30's.
wow. I keep an eye on selling values here and there but did not realize the 996TT have dropped that much.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

You only live once 996TT all the way!!

As another lister pointed out this is the bargin of the century! The TT is no way related to the 996 NA in terms of engines, totally different animals!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I think the 996tt can be a daily driver come Super GT but there does seem to be an underlying belief that they do lack a little feedback or soul. I think if I got a rear engined model it would be an air cooled model. Not out of that knee jerk traditionalism, but because the 911 series car is unique and if I'm going to drive one, I want the full experience. I went in a caged 993 n/a with KW V3s as a passenger and the car felt taught, alive, fast, nimble and sounded great. Obviously not on the same scale as a 996tt as an intergalactic deathship, but maybe more entertaining in the long run.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cole

The bottom line with the stats is that if you put a RESPONSIBLE and TRAINED rider on a bike it is a fairly safe activity.

I just hate the blatant "bikes are dangerous" "cars hit bikes" stuff. MOST of the time it is the fault of the rider.
Bikes are without a doubt far more dangerous. that is a FACT!

The number of automobile deaths are much higher as the percentage by simple fact cars is many hundred of times that of bikes, don't kid yourself for a second you are not at risk because you are a responsible rider.

I happen to personally know 3 adult, responsible, long time bike riders that have a different view after being hit on their bikes.

My cousin now has one leg. He was stopped at a stoplight when he was T-boned. No possible way to avoid, the car turned right into him and he was not moving.

A college buddy was hit by a truck running a red light while he was turning on a green arrow... There was a crest of a hill and he saw movement toward him and took action that certainly saved his life by nailing the throttle to avoid a direct hit. He was clipped on the leg and back of the bike. Fully recovered his injuries and decide this was the last of 6 close calls, has not ridden since.

Last year a friend and co-worker was hit on her bike. Guy pulled right in front of her at an intersection after stopping ... she was traveling under 25 mph but was unable to stop, had nowhere to go with traffic beside her.. and hit the side of the car and went over the car .... also fully recovered, repaired and sold the bike.

These three riders have nearly 40 years (combined) riding experience. None of them happen to be drinkers and are all very alert and cautious riders.

Now you can pretend that every incident that happens to other bikers won't happen to you, but you are kidding yourself.
To claim riding is a "fairly safe activity" is an interesting interpretation.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

As a long time rider, I have to ask... what the hell does this have to do with the OP's original question? Start your own thread, and I'll be happy to respond there.

As to Dana's question, go with what your heart says, either way, I am not sure you could lose. I've been similarly intrigied by 996tts lately, but then I look back on my 951 and just can't walk away from it, it does many things very well. Have both if you can!

Regards,
Old 12-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...orsche+cayenne
Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
blah blah blah.....etc etc.

Really, more advice from a non-rider on friends stories and how it must relate to the OP question.

Were you there on any of the accidents? I can tell you from being a police officer that NO ONE was EVER at FAULT when they got in an accident No body ever spins the stories to their friends as "I screwed up". Especially macho riders.

Not saying that your lying or that your friends were. Just saying that is is all hearsay and not really related to the OP question.

LOTS more people die as a result of sports car accidents than sedan accidents. Especially if they are vintage sports cars.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Colt45ccg
Intermediate

I sold my Turbo S and M6 to get a 996TT. The statement "996TT almost as fast as a 350rwhp 951" not sure how fast you think your 951 is.... but my chipped Turbo S couldnt hold a candle to my 996 with the X50 motor. I also drove my 951 daily and I now drive my 996 daily- ride quality is about the same, but the creature comforts in the 996 are obviously much better.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:33 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

an old M6 or the current one?

if it was the current one, allow me to slap you upside the head
Old 12-26-2009, 09:33 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Colt45ccg
I sold my Turbo S and M6 to get a 996TT. The statement "996TT almost as fast as a 350rwhp 951" not sure how fast you think your 951 is.... but my chipped Turbo S couldnt hold a candle to my 996 with the X50 motor. I also drove my 951 daily and I now drive my 996 daily- ride quality is about the same, but the creature comforts in the 996 are obviously much better.
A chipped 951S isn't a 350rwhp car, its much closer to a 250rwhp car. Theres a big difference, however, I don't think that would change the basis of your argument, nor do I think I would disagree with you. A 996tt has a 15 year advantage on the 951 and I would have been shocked if Porsche hadn't made significant improvements.

That not wiithstanding, 951's ARE a blast to own and I am not going to hang my head in shame next to a 996tt owner (or anyone else).

Regards,
Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well what's the price difference you guys are seeing? Approx. $40k for a half decent 996tt. So buy a half decent 951. What's that cost. Lets be generous. $8k. What would $32k spent on that 951 be like? You wouldn't even have to go crazy on power on the 951 either. 400whp is plenty fast and definitely compares to a stock 996tt. I've seen it on the track a few times with way less than 400whp. Spend some of the $32k on the 951 to remove rattles etc and bring it up closer to the newer car in that fashion as well. Sure it's never going to be a 2001 car or whatever, but it would be an interesting comparison.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well what's the price difference you guys are seeing? Approx. $40k for a half decent 996tt. So buy a half decent 951. What's that cost. Lets be generous. $8k.
So true. Some of us just can't justify having $40K worth of toy sitting in a garage.

I'll take the 951 for $8-15K and enjoy it for what it is. A very competent sportscar with a less detached driving experience than the 'hopped on electronics' 996TT.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well Luis, you've seen the result firsthand of a fairly stock one with a Vitesse Stage 3 kit vs some expensive late model cars.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:22 PM
2bridges
Drifting

to the OP - my apologies for the side track. I can't say I would trade in the 951... but that is more about being cheap than anything else. With so many interests, and a vast array of toys, I am plagued with far more hobbies and toy desires than I can fund

But if you can do it, more power to you my brutha...... and if you can do it and make the Mrs happy, you are dong something right

Originally Posted by Cole

Really, more advice from a non-rider on friends stories and how it must relate to the OP question.

Were you there on any of the accidents? I can tell you from being a police officer that NO ONE was EVER at FAULT when they got in an accident No body ever spins the stories to their friends as "I screwed up". Especially macho riders.

Not saying that your lying or that your friends were. Just saying that is is all hearsay and not really related to the OP question.

LOTS more people die as a result of sports car accidents than sedan accidents. Especially if they are vintage sports cars.
My comment was specific to the post I quoted not the original post, just as your comments are specific to mine.

But "officer know it all", since you asked I will be happy to further enlighten you.

I was not witness to any of the three incidents.

Perhaps the fact that two of the three car drivers involved being in prison as a result will give you some indication of who was in the right and who was in the wrong. How often did you see anyone go to prison unless there is an indisputable fault/negligence?

The third was a hit and run and the guy was never caught. There were many witnesses and it was on the local news requesting anybody with information on the truck to call in.

claim to know whatever you want based on your extensive experience as a police officer, but don't claim to know **** about these incidents, you obviously don't.

Another thing "officer know it all", contrary to your vast pool of knowledge this "SOME ONE" has been in an accident that was my fault ....... and guess what, I informed the police officer, the insurance company, the other persons insurance company and apologized to the other driver as it was in fact my fault. That is what responsible people do. Sorry to burst you bubble, some people live with honor and integrity.

Thanks for your ignorant, uniformed speculation, it is entertaining

Quick Reply: Trade 951 for 996TT?