Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trade 951 for 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth, I dont want to get rid of the bike, the WIFE wants me to. She sees it as too dangerous now that we have a small kid. Again, that is her perception and that can't be changed.

I agree with Cole, that riding a bike in a safe manner, doesn't really represent any unreasonable risk. Living is dangerous. I fly a lot (internationally) and am seeing terrorist attacks on planes. That is a risk too.

Something that people need to keep in mind that motorcycles are disproportionately represented with single vehicle accidents. The biggest group that is seeing increased fatalities is 40+ year old riders. Many, many wrecks are caused by alcohol. I know people that do the motorcycle ride thing. They basically go from one bar to the next bar. To get an idea of this, near my house (ok a little ways away) there is Thunder Mountain Motorcycles. In that complex there are two things 1) motorcycle place and 2) Hooters. Most people dont drink soda at hooters.

My rule when riding a motorcycle: ZERO ALCOHOL.

And I also am must more calm than when I was in my early 20s and bulletproof. I doubt the Hayabusa has been over 75mph in a few years.

-Dana
Old 12-28-2009, 04:42 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
For what its worth, I dont want to get rid of the bike, the WIFE wants me to. She sees it as too dangerous now that we have a small kid. Again, that is her perception and that can't be changed.

-Dana
I am not trying to be a genious here but, the wife loves you more than any of us and her assesment of the situation is by far more important than ours, we are just a bunch of mongols behind a keyboard, you die in an bike accident I will probably post a "my condolences" phrase, but your wife and kids will hurt for years, listen to the wife you might live longer.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:53 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As much as I don't like lart951 chopping up our cars to put up on evil bay but i have to agree with what he's saying here. I am seeing a few nice 996TT out there and decent ones are in the 40-50K range. Either way, good luck with your decision- we want you to be happy and in one piece.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the totally worthless pictures Lart posts

The guy was doing 100+ and REAR ENDED a moving TRUCK at night!!

All that proves is that there is stupid people on earth and that Lart still can't read.

The pics you posted do NOT fit into the category of TRAINED or RESPONSIBLE, and maybe even a drunk rider. They also don't fit the category of someone HITTING the rider, the rider was a dumb *** and HIT the truck...FROM BEHIND!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I love the totally worthless pictures Lart posts

The guy was doing 100+ and REAR ENDED a moving TRUCK at night!!

All that proves is that there is stupid people on earth and that Lart still can't read.

The pics you posted do NOT fit into the category of TRAINED or RESPONSIBLE, and maybe even a drunk rider. They also don't fit the category of someone HITTING the rider, the rider was a dumb *** and HIT the truck...FROM BEHIND!!!
God forbid it, but if you want to die as layer on the asphalt or as a truck ornament so be it it's your life, but don't encourage others specially people that you don't care about it to put their life to risk, I was just sympathizing with Dana’s wife, because of all of us she is the most important person in this equation. Bottom line whether it’s a trained professional rider like you Mr. Knievel or a beginner, a bike collision caused by an X factor not necessarily the rider, will most likely take him to the hospital.

I am out
Old 12-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Cole
Drifting

DUDE!!! Seriously, you can't read.

I never encouraged anyone to do anything. You totally and completely miss the entire point.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:42 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys, enough is enough. Cole & Lart, give it a break. Yes Dana did inquire about the motorcycle piece, but this is mostly about which car. You guys are really going OT with your views on street bike riding. And it's clear you have different views on it as well. Can we please get this back on track.....

Old 12-28-2009, 07:28 PM
manticore33
Racer

Cole,

I've been following the thread and keep coming back to the price point. Even if $30-40k is a good deal on a 996TT, I have a hard time justifying a cost like that for a personal toy just for myself. I've had a hard time in the justification of keeping my 951 (since I primarily drive it alone -- two small kids do not fit so well).

Thus, I'm still inclined to say, keep the 951 and use the time and money to enjoy other hobbies that you, the wife, and the kid can be a part of (if it is a car, maybe sporty sedan), especially since it sounds like you travel quite a bit. I know I get disappointed when I have to pass up the 'fun car' to drive the 'family car' on those beautiful sunny days!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:47 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Manticore,

You bring up a very good point. Buying a toy that expensive is quite selfish. For an economic standpoint, it is an entirely stupid thing to consider. I could put the $25k+/- in the bank and in 13 years have the kids college mostly paid for.

Also, the porsche hobby doesnt work so well with a 5 year old kid. The 951 typically costs me almost nothing to keep around (I paid cash for it in '98 and the Hayabusa cash in '99) I think this year has been the most expensive year for keeping the 951 ever. The clutch and Vitesse MAF stuff has seen to that. All that the 951 really needs now is a Vitesse turbo (and camshaft...and head...but I digress). That is still $25K+/- cheaper than a 996TT.

Good/Bad news is I have the car in the shop getting the clutch. It doesnt look like they will be able to get it done in time before I leave to Europe. They said, no problem that they would keep the car inside until I get back and that would give them extra time to work on it (basically instead of being a primary job, it will be a filler job).

I am thinking it will run much nicer by the time its all done.

-Dana
Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

You asked so here's my 2 cents......my GF has a 996 cab. I am NOT impressed with the interior at all, the ride comfort sucks, and from the front it looks like a boxster. You see them everytime you get on the road.
I am not saying the 951 is best, but with the mods u are installing its going to be a new car for you. I would stick with your orignal plan and wait until you get tired of the new mods.
How many times do u go out and see a 951?
I wouldn't be caught "DEAD" on a motorcycle.....consider yourself lucky and get rid of it, I did and never missed it. You get busted up on that thing and spend the rest of your life plugged up to tubes!!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:12 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

I say keep the 951 and get a Turbo Audi sedan, or maybe a BMW. That way you have your fun car, and your family car can still be fun. When I was growing up, my dad had the option of the Elcamino (supercharged 350, very fun), or the Ford Windstar... Guess which one he hated driving. If we had something at least like a SHO Taurus (I know right?) it wouldn't have been so bad. I know for a fact he would jump to take everyone out in an S4... Which he's talked about getting.

I'm telling you what I would do. I'd keep that 951, since it's still mostly reasonable, and due to the issues I've seen with 996's, and I would take some cash and throw it at a fun sedan. I like Subaru STI's. Although the Forester turbo model is supposed to be aaaalmost just as fast in a straight line. Pick up a good one for around 20k. I said around!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Cole
Drifting

I had an S4. The Audi guys kept telling me it would be cheaper to own and maintain a 996TT. Audis are cool and fast, but NOT cheaper.

.....I did get a little carried away though.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM
manticore33
Racer

Manticore,

You bring up a very good point. Buying a toy that expensive is quite selfish. For an economic standpoint, it is an entirely stupid thing to consider. I could put the $25k+/- in the bank and in 13 years have the kids college mostly paid for.

Also, the porsche hobby doesnt work so well with a 5 year old kid. The 951 typically costs me almost nothing to keep around (I paid cash for it in '98 and the Hayabusa cash in '99) I think this year has been the most expensive year for keeping the 951 ever. The clutch and Vitesse MAF stuff has seen to that. All that the 951 really needs now is a Vitesse turbo (and camshaft...and head...but I digress). That is still $25K+/- cheaper than a 996TT.

Good/Bad news is I have the car in the shop getting the clutch. It doesnt look like they will be able to get it done in time before I leave to Europe. They said, no problem that they would keep the car inside until I get back and that would give them extra time to work on it (basically instead of being a primary job, it will be a filler job).

I am thinking it will run much nicer by the time its all done.

-Dana
Sorry to be the downer on the fun! I've considered many-a-times to sell the 951 for the family. However, the wife knows I really enjoy it, and, suprisingly, it gets some of the better gas mileage in our fleet. Likewise, I got the car for a once-in-a-life-time price. Even though I live in the Midwest, I am able to use it quite frequently thoughout the year for my commute (10mi), so it has some 'residual' utility, beyond being just an incredible car and a Porsche. However, the 'family man' part keeps the car stock.

Yes, getting it all fix will probably make it a lot better, likewise, the Vitesse parts should really make it scoot!

Cole: I've found the B5 chassis to be a pretty poor family car, especially when dealing with rear-facing carseats. It works, but the fitment is very tight. A larger car is definately preferred / easier to contend with.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Also, the porsche hobby doesnt work so well with a 5 year old kid.
Sure it does He's still small enough to fit comfortably in the back seat! That's probably my 5 y/o's favorite thing about mine!

Once he gets a little older, there are other things you can get him involved with. Helping out in the garage, helping to clean it, etc. (IMO 5 is a liiiitle too young yet to really be much help in the garage. At least, mine is.)

We do all the PCA Rallye's in it, too. He helps us out by playing "I Spy". I think I've rubbed off on him though, because he's happy doing anything with the "Por-sha club."
Old 12-29-2009, 10:03 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Except the roll bar takes up where the back seat used to be.....

-Dana

Quick Reply: Trade 951 for 996TT?