Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trade 951 for 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade 951 for 996TT?

One of the worst possible things happened to me Friday and Saturday.
I finally got all the “special” clutch parts (KEP clutch, Balzack forck, and Ehlring seals)that I wanted used for the car in on Thursday. I also had the complete Vitesse MAF/Piggyback/VFlex/Injector at the house. I don’t have time to put the clutch in (and didn’t have the desire to do the injectors) so I took it to a shop that specializes in Porsches (they are the local 9ff installer/dealer)and does all the inspections for mods for Spec944. In other words, I took the car into a decent place.

When I was there the had a nice ’04 911. I told my wife I needed a 911 (I have wanted a 930 since before I graduated from the University). She normally gets mad at me when I suggest such non-sense. She told me that if I brought the 911 home “we would have a problem” and I agreed. I said that the garage only has three spots and we would have a problem fitting two Porsches into the garage (because the other two spots are taken with the SUVs).

Well, a little later Saturday, she said I have a good enough job to buy a 911 if I want BUT(there is always a but) I would have to get rid of the 951 and the Hayabusa. She is always trying to get rid of the bike. She thinks its unsafe and irresponsible (really she doesn’t want me to get injured on a bike and not be able to work and support the family). The discussion went to if I am getting rid of the bike and the 951, I need something faster than the 951 (especially at altitude) and that I would buy a 911 Turbo (most likely a 996TT). Prices have REALLY come down on these this year.

So I am just silly thinking of getting rid of the 951 for a 996TT? Where I really screwed up with this thinking is putting all this money (by the time all is said and $6-7k) into the 951 just to sell it. I wouldn’t get any of that money out of it. In fact, I would be smarter to leave the Vitesse stuff off the car and sell it for half price. You all know what I am talking about. Lart will offer $2k for any 951 on the list. Everyone else will chime in with it being too expensive (even if $1 or $2k above what others are selling for).

What is the comparison between a 996TT and a 951? I think that a stock 996TT would be nearly as fast as a 350rwhp 951 and much more usable (with all the nanny electronics and improvements such as AWD, ABS, PSM, Airags, etc, etc). I think a chipped 996TT would be VERY hard for a 951 to catch without tons of mods. Is a 996TT a good upgrade from a 951?

-Dana
Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

yes.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been thinking about this for a few months now. The prices of the 996TT are well within reason now days as you can find clean ones in the $40k range (and many under that in the high $30's). I have the same mentality that no matter how much $$ you put into a 951 its still at best going to be worth $15k on an ideal day with all the moons aligned.

One of the things about the TT is i feel like id have almost no qualms about driving it cross country, where as the 951 i would have a list of things to get done before any long trip. The performance of them even with mild modifcations will blow most 951's out of the water. The downside though is the cost of these upgrades is ALOT! Like $3k for an exhaust..and people complain about the $900-ish systems for the 951!

On the other hand, i love the 951 and frankly i think they are worth so little for the amount of work put into them that its more worth while to just hold onto it and get both . Also they are a bit more disposable on the track and i wouldnt cry as much writing off a $10-12k car rather than a $35+k car, working on them i am sure is marginally easier for the home mechanic and while the TT is a fantastic looking car, it does not have the presence of a well kept 951. I think there is a certain awe at a 20 year old sports car being a labor of love.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you driven a 996TT yet? They are great cars, just very different in "feel" from the 951.
If you do get a 996TT make sure it comes with a extended or factory Warranty!

I have been looking at the 996TT as well. They are not as raw as the 930, and not as fun to play with as the 951.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:30 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

951's suck, get the 996TT, I am ready to go pick up your car.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:35 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I have been thinking about this for a few months now. The prices of the 996TT are well within reason now days as you can find clean ones in the $40k range (and many under that in the high $30's). I have the same mentality that no matter how much $$ you put into a 951 its still at best going to be worth $15k on an ideal day with all the moons aligned.

One of the things about the TT is i feel like id have almost no qualms about driving it cross country, where as the 951 i would have a list of things to get done before any long trip. The performance of them even with mild modifcations will blow most 951's out of the water. The downside though is the cost of these upgrades is ALOT! Like $3k for an exhaust..and people complain about the $900-ish systems for the 951!

On the other hand, i love the 951 and frankly i think they are worth so little for the amount of work put into them that its more worth while to just hold onto it and get both . Also they are a bit more disposable on the track and i wouldnt cry as much writing off a $10-12k car rather than a $35+k car, working on them i am sure is marginally easier for the home mechanic and while the TT is a fantastic looking car, it does not have the presence of a well kept 951. I think there is a certain awe at a 20 year old sports car being a labor of love.
Well said.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I've never driven a 996TT, so take my comments for what they're worth. I'm sure they are VERY different driving experiences. Prior to spending any real time with my 951, my answer would have been a simple, "Um, you have to ask??" But now after owning my 951 for a while, I really like the more raw driving experience. The car isn't full of luxury items and fancy crap that's not needed for a sports car like ABS, climate control, etc. I have another car for all that.

I also enjoy working on the car from time to time. I like tinkering and modifying, and as you already stated, mods for the 951 are substantially cheaper than those for a 996TT. Part of the joy of ownership for me is the fact that I can "make it mine" with mods and such. I also take a personal satisfaction at fixing issues that crop up like they inevitably do with 951's.

There is no doubt though that a 996TT would probably dust the floor with a 951, and with improved driveability and comfort to boot.

If you have the "ok" to move forward with the purchase from your CFO, I'd go ahead and drive a 996TT first before getting really serious. Make sure you really feel it's worth the sacrifice of both the 951 experience as well as the loss of the bike, not to mention the $40k price tag of the 996TT.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For $40k...no.

There are many cars that are more reliable and fun than a 996TT for that money.

Just my OP though.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:44 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The bike I would definitely get rid of it, your wife is right, driving a bike with the number of stupid drivers out there is suicide.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:05 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I missing up to date prices or something?

A 996TT that is not going to give you the same problems as a 951 will probably be in the mid $40K range at best. Not sure where you guys are seeing high $30's unless they need dome work or if it is 996NON turbo.

You could put half that into the 951 and have a monster AND add some of the creature comforts.

Maybe 993TT would be in the $30-40K range.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
951's suck, get the 996TT, I am ready to go pick up your car.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Am I missing up to date prices or something?

A 996TT that is not going to give you the same problems as a 951 will probably be in the mid $40K range at best. Not sure where you guys are seeing high $30's unless they need dome work or if it is 996NON turbo.

You could put half that into the 951 and have a monster AND add some of the creature comforts.

Maybe 993TT would be in the $30-40K range.
Actually 993TT seems to be worth more than 996TT. Same goes for the non turbo 993 vs the 996 just about.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lart951
The bike I would definitely get rid of it, your wife is right, driving a bike with the number of stupid drivers out there is suicide.

Totally disagree with you on this one. Have been riding for 30 years and studying the statistics almost as long. I won't derail this thread with the details but a well trained rider is actually very safe. Crashes caused by automobile drivers is by FAR the smallest percentage of problems.

That said. Here are my thoughts on the options as presented.

I think the 996TT is a cool car, would have nice creature comforts but loses a little something in the driving department with all the electronics. I had a 500hp AWD Audi that was BORING to drive because it felt so smooth, refined, stabil etc. The 996TT is probably best suited in my opinion to a cool daily driver, not a weekend toy for tinkering with. (if you have a 951 laying around)

I personally would not give up one of my motorcycles for ANY car. They are just too different of activities. Do some finanical planning, max out your disability insurance, life insurance (and cash reserves) through work and 3rd party carriers so that the family is taken care of IF something happens and then enjoy the bike and car with peace of mind. (can you tell I'm a Financial Planner)

If you like to tinker and modify cars the 996TT is going to take a TON of cash out of your pocket FAST!!. There will always be fun stuff to do to the 951 and have a bike to ride on nice days. (I rode mine to work today and I'm just down the road from you in Westminster, Co).

I would think you can get the interior of a 951 to feel very much like a modern Porsche for pretty cheap. Alcantara dash, doors, seats, nav system, sound deadening, LED lighting, etc.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Silver Rose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 300rwp streetable track 951 and I have driven a simular 996tt that was turned up for the track. The 996tt was just as fast in the coners with a lot less susp. mods. The one I drove was truned up a little, I think it was putting out 500hp at the wheels.

The 996tt is a more refined ride, no doubt about it. It is also slightly more removed as a driving exsperance. It was very simular to the 996gt3, just a little more vague in the fr end, probably due to the AWD. Power? Oh ya!!!!
It did not hit as hard as the 951, but had more power!! It was very impressive pulling away from the corvettes!!!

I agree the 951 is a 20 year old track car and therefore a labor of love, but a used 996tt will also start needing some serious attention. I am betting the parts and labor on the 996tt will make the 951 look like a cheep ride, and thats saying something!!!!

If I had the money and the time was right (wife's buy in) would I do it??
Hell ya!!!! Look into removing the fr driveshaft and diff for a GT2 replica and never look back!!!
I do love my 951, but........................
Old 12-21-2009, 04:00 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cole
Totally disagree with you on this one. Have been riding for 30 years and studying the statistics almost as long. I won't derail this thread with the details but a well trained rider is actually very safe. Crashes caused by automobile drivers is by FAR the smallest percentage of problems.

I guess you must be about my age by now, I am close to 50, people says that with age comes wisdom but not in Colorado I guess.

Unless you have the skills of Evel Knievel or all the Colorado drivers have the IQ of Einstein I call bs on your statement, my statistic show different, bikes are much dangerous than cars to drive, a bike driver might have bigger ***** than me because I would not ride a bike but I guarantee the brain size have to be much smaller.

Motorcycle accident statistics show the number of motorcycle accidents have increased dramatically with the number of motorcycle operators growing in order to save money in fuel consumption, as well as for pleasure. Over one million motorcycles were purchased in 2007. In the year before, there were 6,634,506 motorcycles registered for personal and commercial use in the U.S. That is up to 13 million lives at risk for a motorcycle accident.

As of 2008, in the state of California, there are over 1.1 million licensed motorcycle operators. Motor cycle accident statistics for the state show number of motorcycle accident deaths in the state has risen over 140% over the past 10 years. According to the California motorcycle accident statistics, overall, the tally of motorcycle accident injuries and deaths is very high when compared to the number of passenger vehicle accidents.

Over a seven year period, motorcycle accident statistics show that deaths from motorcycle accidents rose 102%, versus just a 24% increase for all traffic related deaths. Over the same period, an increase of 63% for severe injuries due to motorcycle accidents with only a 4.9% rise for all motor vehicle accidents according to California motorcycle accident statistics. Also, according to California motorcycle accident statistics, 35% of fatal motorcycle accidents and 44% of the severe injury motorcycle accidents were not the fault of the motorcycle operator. In October of 2008 the number of deaths that occurred from motorcycle accidents had already climbed to 322. This number is expected to rise.

California does have a full helmet law in effect. Both driver and rider must wear a helmet while on the road anywhere in the state. Motorcycle accident statistics reveal that motorcycle helmets are 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries. Motorcycle accident statistics also state that helmeted riders have up to a 73% lower fatality rate than un-helmeted riders.
What would they required to wear a helmet to protect the brain, what brain do you need to ride in a motor with wheels? Btw I need to see your statistizzz or I'll call it owned.

Quick Reply: Trade 951 for 996TT?