Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: if you were doing a V8 swap (street car), which engine would you run ?
LS3 376 c.i. crate - $7,300 (see post #252).
15.38%
LS3 376 c.i. crate w/ mild cam - $8,200.
23.08%
LS7 427 c.i. w/ LS3 heads/intake - $10,200.
61.54%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

190 mph in a 944 - (talkin' about gears, hp, etc)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

DVC... I am 90 % sure that it's your photo from another forum... If it is indeed you that posted the info there, I was extremely impressed by your knowledge of these LSx transaxle porsches... go to the 968 forum directly under this one and you will see what I assume is your photo.

Last edited by odurandina; 10-22-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 951_RS
So at 160 indicated our cars are really doing 135, is this really true?
my apologies - actually is was 150mph speedo indicated ran 135 mph actual. This with new factory size tire. I have determined my speedo 8-9% off consistently from different events, timing equipment, etc. The speedo is long buried before 150mph is reality.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swagger93
What does being 23 years old have to do with it? Explain so I can start refuting all your rationale.
Maybe it is just because I might not be as young and invincible as you are
Maybe it is because I've disassembled a number of 944s and noticed the metal breakdown and fatique that happens over time to the bolts that hold the suspension together in the front and back.
Maybe it is because I know all too well how few 944s and dare I say 968 have a-arm ball joints that are in the shape they should be.
Maybe it is because I've watched one too many car crash tests on youtube where they were only going a paltry 60 mph.

The safety design for these cars was hatched in the early 80s. Todays supercars that hit these high speeds are light years ahead in terms of occupant safety with airbags all over and highly engineered crush zones - not to mention all the various automated systems to correct the braking and cut power to the engine should something go wrong.

Originally Posted by 2bridges
??? uh 190 in a standing mile not impressive ???????
Reality check buba - you damn sure will impress.

Just because there are several 200+mph standing mile cars, make no mistake..... THAT IS INSANE. In that mph range you are generally talking 1000HP+ cars.

160+mph in the standing mile for a street car is crankin...... think not? Enter an event and see for yourself. I have. Make no mistake if you are not 500+HP you will run out of mile long before you run out of gear.

As a side note for everybody ready to post how they can easily hit 160 in a standing mile........ be a stud and post up your slips.
And no your buddy in the car watching the speedo is not even close..... without a properly timed and marked standing mile it is BS dudes.
Lets take a step back. We are talking about two different things - the ability for a 944 to do 190mph and then the ability for said car to do that in a standing mile. Also - we are talking about impressing folks in this community and then the car community as a whole.

First of all - you show me a 944 that can do either of the 190 feats and I'll be impressed. Probably anybody in this community would be as well. Personally I think that a 944 doing 190 in a standing mile would be dang near impossible unless you had bill gates money and just wanted to prove it could be done.

Outside of this community - I doubt anyone would look twice. C6 vettes do 190 out of the box and probably with an few tweaks can bump over 200. Like the OP had mentioned most modern supercars are easily in that same ballpark too.

Top speed to me is like a hp number based on 110 octane and 35PSI and friendly dyno operator - it just isn't that useful when it comes to everyday driving on the street or the track.

Heck though - if thats what makes you happy then go for it!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:29 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShApE
well when you have people like SW doing 246mph in his "stock" tranny supra, i guess 190 isn't too impressive. But I would be impressed with my 951 if I hit 190.
There isn't a 944 on this forum with enough power to weight ratio to reach 190 in the mile. Lots of people think its easy to hit speeds like that but, have no idea just how much sheer, raw horsepower it takes to pull a car to that speed in that amount of time from a stand still.

A z06 with well over 700rear wheel hp did 198 last weekend.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

time for ST to go to TX
Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
time for ST to go to TX
His peaky powerband, lack of traction, and barely enough hp would yield surprising results at the mile. You have headwinds some days, changing conditions.

I've had friends out there now several years running. You be surprised at guys that add hp, change setups and come back next year to get less mph because of conditions or some other problem.

In short I stand by my comment. No 944 on this board is capable of 190+ at the Texas Mile. I'd love to be proved wrong. Jermey was out there this year reppin' the 4cylinder guys. He had 730hp in his vw that weighed in at 2400lbs. His car was setup right. He pulled 208 I think.
Originally Posted by 2bridges
??? uh 190 in a standing mile not impressive ???????
Reality check buba - you damn sure will impress.

Just because there are several 200+mph standing mile cars, make no mistake..... THAT IS INSANE. In that mph range you are generally talking 1000HP+ cars.

160+mph in the standing mile for a street car is crankin...... think not? Enter an event and see for yourself. I have. Make no mistake if you are not 500+HP you will run out of mile long before you run out of gear.

As a side note for everybody ready to post how they can easily hit 160 in a standing mile........ be a stud and post up your slips.
And no your buddy in the car watching the speedo is not even close..... without a properly timed and marked standing mile it is BS dudes.
Lots of people bs without any real world exposure. I've found lots of guys think their 300hp 951 is gods gift to speed but, that's only because in their small circle of friends no one actually has anything fast. I remember talking with Gabe and Brian when my car was getting put together. I kept talking about how damn slow the 944 turbo was even with this new setup and that I just didn't care that much. I didn't build the 944 with the understanding it would actually be fast in todays terms. I just built it for fun. Gabe was kinda of shocked by this talk. I could tell he didn't quite understand how I would think a 350hp is slow but, I do because of where I come from.

To anyone who thinks they got the ***** to run the mile and hit 190. I'd gladly make a wager. It takes real horsepower to move quickly above 150. I can't tell you how many 500-600hp cars go to that event and its their first time running. "I'm going for 185" "oh yeah im going for 195" pssshhh. They always come back surprised and a little embarrassed.

OT the supra probabaly won't hold the title to fastest at the mile for too much longer. The lambo boys have caught on the the mile and are starting to build their cars for big power for the event. One TTG went 241, and there were several hits in the 230's
Old 10-23-2009, 02:46 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Lots of people bs without any real world exposure. I've found lots of guys think their 300hp 951 is gods gift to speed but, that's only because in their small circle of friends no one actually has anything fast. I remember talking with Gabe and Brian when my car was getting put together. I kept talking about how damn slow the 944 turbo was even with this new setup and that I just didn't care that much. I didn't build the 944 with the understanding it would actually be fast in todays terms. I just built it for fun. Gabe was kinda of shocked by this talk. I could tell he didn't quite understand how I would think a 350hp is slow but, I do because of where I come from.

To anyone who thinks they got the ***** to run the mile and hit 190. I'd gladly make a wager. It takes real horsepower to move quickly above 150. I can't tell you how many 500-600hp cars go to that event and its their first time running. "I'm going for 185" "oh yeah im going for 195" pssshhh. They always come back surprised and a little embarrassed.

OT the supra probabaly won't hold the title to fastest at the mile for too much longer. The lambo boys have caught on the the mile and are starting to build their cars for big power for the event. One TTG went 241, and there were several hits in the 230's
+1...lots of peole say 300whp will hold its own with most of the car you encounter on the street, but I completely disagree. It might hold it's own with the stock performance cars around but there are a lot of fast cars around the streets I grew up in and 300whp won't even get anyone interested in your car except for high schoolers who think 15 sec. quarter miles are fast.

Onto the standing mile...there are a few TT vipers with full interior getting close to the supras as well. The lambos are all full interior too where the supras are gutted race cars. Vipers have been losing 5th gear a lot lately though...for some reason the T56 just doesn't like 1500+ft-lbs in 5th gear
Old 10-23-2009, 03:02 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
+1...lots of peole say 300whp will hold its own with most of the car you encounter on the street, but I completely disagree. It might hold it's own with the stock performance cars around but there are a lot of fast cars around the streets I grew up in and 300whp won't even get anyone interested in your car except for high schoolers who think 15 sec. quarter miles are fast.

Onto the standing mile...there are a few TT vipers with full interior getting close to the supras as well. The lambos are all full interior too where the supras are gutted race cars. Vipers have been losing 5th gear a lot lately though...for some reason the T56 just doesn't like 1500+ft-lbs in 5th gear
several supras all with full interior over 200+ At that speed the few hundred pounds you would save from ditching your interior is minimal. Plus for most guys running that event these are their street toys.

I had several guys I know with TT vipers there. Will did 208, kelly did 206 however his previous best was something like 220+, Ricky went 228.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:35 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

lift (negative down force) increases exponentially with velocity...
the car probably 'weighs' 200 lbs at 190 mi/hr
it would be very light and squirrely
mine feels light at 140+, the highest I've had it...
Old 10-23-2009, 03:59 PM
2bridges
Drifting

190 is a huge number in the standing mile......... I watched many 600-700, and two 750+ HP vettes dottle around in the 170s and a few runs into the low 180s......

190 is a seriously tall order.

fastest standing mile car I have seen was a twin turbo sbc powered viper. He said he was running 1250hp he ran 236mph on his fastest run. Makingit even more nuts was that the venue was a very narrow two lane highway.... no shoulders, no runoff..... if you went off track you were just fckd.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it has a corvette engine. it's not a porsche.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:15 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

"lift (negative down force) increases exponentially with velocity...
the car probably 'weighs' 200 lbs at 190 mi/hr
it would be very light and squirrely
mine feels light at 140+, the highest I've had it... "

In this forum I was not talking specifically about the standing mile... but it is great to see that topic come up here !!

Thanks Arthur -- I am hardly any expert on 944s. So, please excuse me if I speak out of turn... But, thank God, somebody out there understands the "front end float" I got with my 1987 944 ! It used to scare the crap out of me... My steering response indicated that the car was getting very light.

You are all driving cars that are a bit shakier than the 968s. I think you can build a slightly larger than the stock accessory spitter - I mean, build it bigger than the accessory splitter that most of you put on your 944s... build it very strong, wider with more forward reach, reinforce it with carbon fiber tubing and use anchor cables.. It will get more heavy, and slow the car down but, the 944 can overcome these issues and become a safer car. A famous surfer, and personal friend Gregg Loerr invented the best resins on earth to use for keeping your cars planted firmly on the track. Tell him Allan from "East Pacific" sent you.

http://www.resinresearch.net/

I have never had so much as the slightest shake or sensation of floating when going 150-160 mph in my 968. Got no turbos on my car... but I got rid of my cat and now run 2.5" straight pipes and 3" Hooker Max Flow muffler with true 0.001 % backpressure and 3" to 4" tip. This is a true, near-zero bp exhaust and now, getting to 160mph is no longer a problem. And the sound this exhaust makes is the best NA transaxle car you may ever hear !! I will install Carl's supercharger and get new transaxle gears, soon.

I am also mating the bottom half of a 996 front bumper to this car (the splitter)... The body work will require carbon fiber tubing, and it's going to take a big effort to do the job right, including making the entire splitter strong enough not to come apart at 170+ mph... Hopefully, it will look good when it's done. The lower half of the front of a 968 is surely one of the most hideous sights on earth.

Allan - Massachusetts

Last edited by odurandina; 10-23-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread has me thinking. This sounds like a fun challenge. Who really cares what the Vipers and Vettes are running. the quest (for now) would simply be to see how fast a 951 could do the standing mile in.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

There should be no difference between 968s and 944s as far as front end "floating". My turbo feels rock solid north of 180 mph.
Stock front facia, tight suspension, proper alignment, with a little forward rake (important).
Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cole
This thread has me thinking. This sounds like a fun challenge. Who really cares what the Vipers and Vettes are running. the quest (for now) would simply be to see how fast a 951 could do the standing mile in.
Let me be the first to share my next personal goal - 165mph in the standing mile.

If things go according to plan I will run again next August and be E85 fueled with the pressure turned up a bit more .... and dare I say it.... maybe even overshoot my goal.

Killer clutch is on the shelf ready for installation, so that will not be a factor next go around.

Quick Reply: 190 mph in a 944 - (talkin' about gears, hp, etc)...