Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project 2010...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep all the cool kids have got 3.0s with gt35's , 9.5:1 compression , ebay FMIC and 2 pumps in the right front guard ...
Old 01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Yep all the cool kids have got 3.0s with gt35's , 9.5:1 compression , ebay FMIC and 2 pumps in the right front guard ...
Aw cmon.. I will have 10.9:1! A GT30R.. And a precision FMIC. can I be in the cool crowd too?

Worm, I would prefer to keep the chain between the two. Less flex in the cams between the front and the rear of the cam.. Don't believe it twists enough to make a difference?! My friend, 2-3 or more degrees at high rpm. Keeping the chain.

My 16v motor is just crying in the corner, wishing it were in the car. Oh wait.. that's me.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

NO you can't be in our gang as your car is too light and too motec and too antilag
Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes I saw the better balanced springs. Not too different to what I have and it's not been oversteer that I've had to deal with.

Well I thought I'd bring the Variocam to the table and get opinions on it. Here's a recent quote from one of our esteemed colleagues regarding the subject:

"Somebody mentioned Variocam….ugh. Not good for turbos. The Variocam is pretty crude by modern standards – at a preset rpm it changes the intake cam timing by 15 degrees. That’s pretty of crude!
I have done some Variocam motors with the variocam controlled by a standalone, it works but its not really the right solution.
The stock 16v cams were designed around higher rpm normally aspirated use – not really good for turbo use. Its pretty expensive to get custom cams made and there is not a lot of research done – so you might end up with an expensive trial and error program! That’s why I ended up designing the ‘twin cam’ drive. I can vary the timing of each cam independently."
Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yes I saw the better balanced springs. Not too different to what I have and it's not been oversteer that I've had to deal with.

Well I thought I'd bring the Variocam to the table and get opinions on it. Here's a recent quote from one of our esteemed colleagues regarding the subject:

"Somebody mentioned Variocam….ugh. Not good for turbos. The Variocam is pretty crude by modern standards – at a preset rpm it changes the intake cam timing by 15 degrees. That’s pretty of crude!
I have done some Variocam motors with the variocam controlled by a standalone, it works but its not really the right solution.
The stock 16v cams were designed around higher rpm normally aspirated use – not really good for turbo use. Its pretty expensive to get custom cams made and there is not a lot of research done – so you might end up with an expensive trial and error program! That’s why I ended up designing the ‘twin cam’ drive. I can vary the timing of each cam independently."
Honda V-TEC cams were made for VERY high rpm naturally aspirated use.. Turbo charging them still gives excellent results. Don't be skeered.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I'm not convinced that the vario cam is a problem when running standalone it is not perfect but you still have plenty of adjustment you can advance and retard the pair and you can play with how it activates with your ecu there may be more to the trigger piont than rpm.. so trigger it at a given injector duty cyle that way it represents a givin CFM . you can also change the static timiing between cams when you assemble with a little work you cant realy change it while tuning ..
Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Also, can you give us any details on this 'other' you're working on?

...ps OT duke but do you know this car?

http://www.garaget.org/?car=174955&image=1654926
Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 PM
95ONE
Race Car

You can actually vary the voltage signal with a standalone and treat it like a pulse width modulator and actually vary the degrees it moves the timing wherever and however. Unfortunately this kills the solenoid very quickly. depends on the quality.. might last forever. who knows.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
You can actually vary the voltage signal with a standalone and treat it like a pulse width modulator and actually vary the degrees it moves the timing wherever and however. Unfortunately this kills the solenoid very quickly. depends on the quality.. might last forever. who knows.
Difficult to do – it’s a balance of pulse width signals to hydraulic pressure. Since the hydraulic pressure is actually oil pressure that modulates with rpm and temp is pretty hard to get a predictable response.

Even if that part works I would be a little concerned about the stress on the variocam system, don’t want that to fail!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Speaking of Honda Vtec stuff – I was tuning a supercharged 1.6 liter ice racer a couple of week ago. A total change of character when the Vtec kicks in. It is also an on/off type system. About 280 crank hp at 8500. Must be fun be fun out on the ice!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:19 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris White
Difficult to do – it’s a balance of pulse width signals to hydraulic pressure. Since the hydraulic pressure is actually oil pressure that modulates with rpm and temp is pretty hard to get a predictable response.

Even if that part works I would be a little concerned about the stress on the variocam system, don’t want that to fail!
unless its a dry sump where if you make it a constant psi above a specific rpm, and the variocam wouldn't be activated unless it's above that constant oil pressure rpm, then it wouldn't be a problem,,, but then you run into the solenoid reliability issue.. So.. in the end.. agreed.

Originally Posted by Chris White
Speaking of Honda Vtec stuff – I was tuning a supercharged 1.6 liter ice racer a couple of week ago. A total change of character when the Vtec kicks in. It is also an on/off type system. About 280 crank hp at 8500. Must be fun be fun out on the ice!
What a perfect climate for a supercharger! Sounds like fun.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:45 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

ice oh ice not rice ... depending on the oil pressure curve and trigger piont you may be able to just put a restrict or in oil line to make it more gradual big deal if it changes a bit as the oil heats up then with uber mugatu Ti valve chain you may be able to play with spring pressures allowing you to make it easier to drive yikes somebody slap me what a scientific can of worms .. any how you could play with it until it falls off wheres outs
Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like recipe for disaster, 9.5+ compression.. turbo's efficient at 22+ psi, 23+ static compression.
Has anyone actually kept one of these hand grenades together.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:38 AM
95ONE
Race Car

By my calculations, i won't ever go higher than 18psi. Ill be shocked if my high boost is over 15.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Are you really running the stock compression? I guess your using stock pistons. Even at 15psi that's about 22 effective.. That's a hell of a lot for any motor, and it's putting that turbo way out of range.

Quick Reply: Project 2010...