Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I finally pulled the trigger..updated with pic(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I finally pulled the trigger..updated with pic(s)

And ordered MaxTuner Pro and an Ostrich V2 with Booster socket... Ostrich is due Thursday (already have UPS tracking info)...

I'm stoked to be able to finally smooth out the fuel curve as with recent changes to the car I am now lean (17:1) bellow 30% throttle and rich over 80% throttle (10:1)..I'll also be adding some fuel to my MAP in between as from 30% to 80% I'm seeing 14ish ... need to add fuel down low and take some out at WOT...

Any advice?

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 07-17-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

WOOT, everything is installed in the car, image read from the Chip (MaxHP second hand buy), new image built with -5 WOT map and +5 PT map... ran it around the block and everything is working... tomorrow brings tuning and data logging..

AND with any luck I should receive the hardware I have been waiting on to finish up the gauges this week... LED boost with integrated WB-AFR..

Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

3BAR FPR installed, 55lb per hr injectors installed, 1 Hour of tuning, Idle is dead on..14.7:1 with NBO2 disconnected... WOT is still a little rich above 4000 RPM, part throttle is slightly rich in the same range (4000+ rpm is going as low as 11.4:1) so far I'm extremely happy with the progress and outcome...

Will finish the tune tomorrow, and be done with it for now... WOW what a difference, and the data logs show it.. faster time to 6000 RPM by almost 1 full second, and boost holds strong...

I'm seeing 14PSI at WOT 3500 RPM, still fluttering but I believe that is being caused by my Turbo being tired...Replacement is sitting next to me, but isn't going in until this winter if I can wait till then...
Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Stuff
Old 07-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet, its good to see Ostrich being used in 944's. Why did you decide to use maxtune? Why not a free open source software? Can you change adjustment tables such as temperature?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:37 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Yup, Air temp correction, FQS setting value control, Full ignition maps(12x12 part throttle,1x7 idle and 1x16 WOT) and full fuel maps matching dept of the ignition maps, there are more functions, but I haven't played with all the functions or options... It has been scripted to interface seamlessly with the Ostrich, and I have yet to find any "bugs" within it... plus it automatically builds the chip image that our cars recognize (no need to figure out the file structure, has bin structure for all our cars, except the S2.. and Russel is working on that one) once I'm done with the 951, I'm gonna get my 88 N/A back on the road, and I will re-image chips for it too! (I bought 2 blank EEPROMS, one for each car..)

Ostrich Interface----->
File Select for edit--->
Fuel Map Screen----->
Ignition Map Screen-->
Additional Maps------->
Old 07-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet! This technology will be able to close the gap between custom made chips and full standalone systems.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:46 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

All said and done I'm verry happy with the outcome..but would still like to have full sequential injection, and individual coils... Maybe I just need to work out those 2 bits... as they are typically related to one another... I'm also thinking about doing custom tunes on the other 2 standard maps, with a multi position switch to select between them... 1 to maintain 14.7:1 and one richer than normal for fun runs...
Old 07-19-2009, 01:08 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

your along way from running out of ignightion ... so why ??
also sequential injection why ??
Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Why not? Efficiency.. it is all about efficiency.. and my need to tinker with a car I can still drive every day...
Old 07-19-2009, 02:02 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I would just but starting to look at suspension or even a bit of pneumatics to make sure your happy with the boost control ..
set up water injection ..
I'm in a similar place i have 4 coils + ignighters and computer to run them now I'm thinking 4 channel CDI .
I think you will find more "efficiency" in strict thermal management than in in coils and sequntial injection ... and it involves plenty of instruments and messing around to keep you stimulated ..
Motec has an ignition expander 330 au $ that turns one out put into up to 8 I will have it when i get home I'll see if its a universal thing might be an option for you ..
Old 07-19-2009, 03:44 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

NIce have any video clips
Old 07-19-2009, 03:49 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

how much was this?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
how much was this?
Ostrich with booster for early DME...$120 shipped overnight
MaxTune.......................................$250 Download after acct is setup
Feeling car run the way car is intended to run... Priceless

took 1 hour yesterday, I'll give it a little longer today to fine tune the last little bit of the maps... shouldn't be much longer....

considering chips are $150-250, retune is $60 per retune...

Zietronix Setup...I think I'm into it for about $600, but that is with every bell and whistle... I like it.... very helpful

NOW there are stand alone EMS units available for $370, but this software was written for our cars, and the ostrich was literally plug and play (it is USB based) and I am running VISTA (MaxHPKit.com reports issues with vista due to driver availability, but the drivers that are available for the ostrich work great with vista...)

I like the DME, I really like the ability of being able to fine tune my fuel maps, and because I bought the burn 2 as well as the Ostrtich I can then burn my maps to a chip, smack that chip into the DME and LOOK stock without being there...
Old 07-19-2009, 11:40 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
I would just but starting to look at suspension or even a bit of pneumatics to make sure your happy with the boost control ..
set up water injection ..
I'm in a similar place i have 4 coils + ignighters and computer to run them now I'm thinking 4 channel CDI .
I think you will find more "efficiency" in strict thermal management than in in coils and sequntial injection ... and it involves plenty of instruments and messing around to keep you stimulated ..
Motec has an ignition expander 330 au $ that turns one out put into up to 8 I will have it when i get home I'll see if its a universal thing might be an option for you ..
Suspension is already done, Koni sport yellows all 4 corners with Coil over fronts (300 lb springs), mono ball bushing inserts, new ball joints, new tie rod ends, ground control camber plates, OddJob cup replica strut tower bar, and I'm running Boxter twist 17 inch wheels with Falken Ziex 215 up front 245 in the rear... handles very nice, very flat.. corners very well.. neutral

Cooling I've got a new radiator, OEM coolant (G-6), new water pump, new hoses... engine doesn't even come close to overheating..even in 100+ ambient temps.

Brakes...Zimmerman cross drilled front and rear, metal master pads front and rear, braided lines, ATE blue brake fluid..

Trans was refreshed by PO, I serviced it with Valvoline Synergy fluid, but am considering swapping fluid over to Swepco...

Clutch..unknown, but is strong...

Compression checked out 135-135-130-135 dry, no leak down done due to good compression numbers

I made sure all "Maintenance" items were taken care of before I started modding anything,I wanted to start from a good solid stock base first...

Quick Reply: I finally pulled the trigger..updated with pic(s)