Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I finally pulled the trigger..updated with pic(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

oh so the ostrich is an eprom writer?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
The Ostrich is an EPROM emulator...

-Rogue
Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ostrich is an EPROM emulator, it looks to the DME like an EPROM, it plugs into the socket on the DME, and can be re-imaged while the car is running... I also bought a EEPROM reader/burner so when all is said and done I can remove the ostrich, burn the image to a chip and install the chip... then I can use the ostrich and repeat the exercise on my N/A after it returns to the road...
Old 07-19-2009, 03:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

ohh so you write something to the ostrich and plug it into the DME and the DME sees the ostrich as its eprom and runs fuel maps off that?
Old 07-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

You plug the Ostrich into the DME, and then it has a USB wire to your laptop. You make changes and then just update the Ostrich, no need to remove and re-install the Ostrich.

-Rogue
Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ostrich is an updated version of what russell was originally selling with the maxtune setup, but the units he was getting was such a relatively high failure rate that he decided to stop dealing with those himself and only does the software now.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 PM
67King
Race Car

Leanest mixture for Best Torque (LBT) is usually around 13.0:1. You can typically richen it up to 12.0:1 before you start losing power. However, a great many turbocharged cars are calibrated to run more rich than that for durability. I got my prior car competely dialed in, and was running 12.0:1 under WOT. Destroyed the turbo's exhaust housing from overheating it (it cracked......badly). So bear that in mind, but you don't want to lean it beyond LBT at WOT, or you'll start losing power, AND reduce your durability. The leanest I would run at WOT would be 12.0:1.

Sequential will buy you virtually nothing. Your injectors car run close to a 100% duty cycle, anyway. Many strategies are such that they are designed to run only on closed valves. Can't speak for Porshces, but many others are. You can get into some open valve injection (OVI), which will help with a small amount of charge cooling, which is better for detonation and power.

I'm not familar with the Ostrich. My prior car had a similar system to the 944's. 2.3L turbocharged, batch fire injection, with that awful vane air meter (VAM). The best mod I did to it was replace the VAM with a MAF.....BUT, I had to change the strategy a good bit to do it. Doing that required me to have a bit more access to the code, which I did. So, I had to remove one table, replace another, get rid of a couple of functions, and change a pointer. Do you know if the Ostrich can do that? I'm still hanging onto my old Ford 2.3turbo tuning stuff with the thought that I may eventually want to run a MAF on this car, using the Ford PCM. Unfortunately, it used a PROM, so I had to program it separately.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by 67King
Doing that required me to have a bit more access to the code, which I did. So, I had to remove one table, replace another, get rid of a couple of functions, and change a pointer. Do you know if the Ostrich can do that?
The Ostrich can do anything that one could do with an EPROM burner...
Just need the knowledge to do it.

-Rogue
Old 07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
The Ostrich can do anything that one could do with an EPROM burner...
Just need the knowledge to do it.

-Rogue
It also requires the software capability. A MAF conversion requires a strategy change. In my prior experience, that requires getting into the hex code, and changing things. This may be different, I haven't had any luck looking for it online.

To change the strategy requires a lot more knowledge. Guess I should have asked if that knowledge is available? The number of reliable MAF conversions on the aftermarket suggests that it has been broken (ones that haven't are horrible/borderline unstreetable). I didn't disassemble my old code, it was avaialable. Having said that, I still had to go in and manually change the hex settings. The graphical interface (program was called PCMX) didn't allow one to change the underlying strategy.

I don't know if this system may be different than what I used to use or not. It may be that it requires exporting the program to a hex editor, making changes there, then importing them back in before downloading changes back onto the port replicator device.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

You are correct that a true MAF conversion requires actual code changes (not just modifying maps)...
AFAIK, only one vendor has done this... The other MAF conversions are still using the AFM code.

-Rogue
Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Well I am running the Scivision MAF from MaxHP (I actually got it second or third hand) BUT... its curve is a little steeper than the AFM, but was 100% plug and play...Took me all of 30 minutes to install including removing the stock air filter...

I have tailored the fuel maps, a little on the ignition Maps, but it is running 100% better than it ever did, and I suspect would with the AFM. I'm now concentrating on this winter... Engine reseal, full car respray, new approach on my hatch (3rd reseal has again delaminted)... My interior is 99% perfect (dash cracks..but my clock works)...

I still have some more work on the fuel and ignition maps to do, and I have the Curtis event counter on the way for knock monitoring... I'm considering a 5 second duration timed light triggered by the knock trigger in addition for a visual indication of knock warning...

Today on the highway I was seeing 12.1:1 AFR at WOT... no data logging, but was keeping an eye on the AFR gauge..would dip to 12.5 on throttle application and even running was sticking to 14.7 ish (+/- .2)... all in all I'm happy with the ostrich and MaxTune capabilities and the simple fact that I have gotten a pre-mod full tank distance out of half a tank of gas makes the additional performance all that much better (Yes it was running seriously rich with chips from SuperChips installed...)..

AND BTW, the MaxTune SW allows for direct HEX viewing.... Viewable in HEX or DECIMAL views.. Only editable in the upgraded ($1000) version I believe...
I also bought a prom reader/burner, and have read the chips (SuperChips and another set) directly from the chips...very easy t manipulate with either a hex editor or the MaxTune SW... I like the SW from the standpoint that it is point/click/point/click easy... And auto compiles the image to upload to the Ostrich for the car based on car selected format... Super flexible (I will be tuning the maps and such on my 88 N/A as well when I am done with the 951) but can do each of our cars with the exception right now of the S2 (Russel is working on it)..

There are definately CHEAPER ways of accomplishing what I am doing, there are more expensive way of doing it as well, more direct (just buying the chips) but none takes away from the fun I have been having with the car...

NOW what I am thinking about toying with is... Porsche shipped these cars with 3 global "Zones" defined in the SW as MAP 1, 2, and 3.. selectable by the pigtails on the DME harness (little loop connected to the harness)... I'm thinking about running the loopback to a 3 position switch, I'm thinking on the fly 3 map selections...think Pump, Race, E85 just for starters....

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 07-20-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

im going to take a stab at reading that green thing.

X = RPM, Y = AFR, Z = throttle position?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:54 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

im going to take a stab at reading that green thing.

X = RPM, Y = AFR, Z = throttle position?
The HEX is on top of the 2 D table showing the same Data in table format...

Software (MaxTune) has the same screen for Ignition table too... it also has Idle and WOT tables....

Quick Reply: I finally pulled the trigger..updated with pic(s)