Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LOVE IT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default LOVE IT!

Picked up my '86 951 yesterday evening First P-car, and I love it so far!

130k miles but CLEAN. Paint shines, interior in ok shape with factory sport seats and no rips/tears. Dash has some cheesy dash cover on it, which I plan to peel off today (it's warped and cheap looking) and I fully expect to find cracks in the dash (no big whoop.)

Main reason I bought it was for the mechanical condition. ~1500 miles on a complete motor and trans rebuild. Fresh Bilstein Cup suspension. Adjustable sways. 18" CCW wheels on fresh Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. 3" exhaust, weltmeister chip. Harness bar (w/harnesses.) Bunch of other stuff I can't remember now. Also threw in the original 16" phone dials (w/new tires on them) and 2 boxes of new PF97 pads.

Car has a pretty aggressive alignment on it now (PO mainly tracked it) and I'm taking it in tomorrow to a local Porsche independent for a re-alignment. I took it easy on the way home (seating position, feel, etc. is different from my last few cars so I feel a little awkward in it) and didn't really push it much. Car feels a little nervous when, say, hitting an off-ramp at 5/10ths. As I got closer to home, I got a little more brave, and pushed it a little bit more - and WOW! Really digs in nicely (as in OMG THIS THING STICKS!) at 7/10ths, and it seemed like the harder I pushed, the smoother and more confident it got! Just solid, planted, and FLAT! But... I think it's still a little too aggressive for what I plan to do with it (street and auto-x.) Plus, I don't really want to have to push it to really feel the car... I'll sacrifice some performance at 9-10/10ths to gain some stability at 5-6/10ths. Not to mention, it's going to cook the tires the way it sits in no time. But for now, the car has MUCH more ability than the driver!

Here's some photos:

And... where she will eventually live - once the topsoil guy delivers, and I transport to the backyard, 12 yards of dirt.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:17 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remmember that car on autotrader a Long time ago.
Great looking 951. I love the wheels.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Looks sweet and solid!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:04 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you referring to with the 5/10'ths and 7/10'ths? The turbo gauge on the dash?

5/10'ths is 1 BAR so not even really boosting. Anything below 1BAR is negative pressure which means you aren't boosting at all. 7/10th's is about where the factory boost is dialed in (~10PSI) and all the way to the right is 2BAR which is ~14PSI.

You didn't mention anything about DME chip upgrades or a MAF, upgraded turbo, etc... so no idea what engine mods have been done - but if you have aftermarket chips and any other signficant upgrades you really should have a manual boost controller installed so you can really see what's going on. I wouldn't rely on the one in the dash...not that accurate.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Nice!

-When I first picked up my 951m it shared the 3-car garage with my MkIV Golf/GTI also... a great contrast in driving dynamics, to be sure!

Things just took off from there, really...

By the way, the OP is referring to "tenths" in terms of ABILITY (be that the car's or the driver's -It's a 'thumb' measurement term used a lot in racing...) hence "ten-tenths" is "on the limit"

Keith
Old 06-23-2009, 05:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by VWaddict
Nice!

By the way, the OP is referring to "tenths" in terms of ABILITY (be that the car's or the driver's -It's a 'thumb' measurement term used a lot in racing...) hence "ten-tenths" is "on the limit"

Keith
LOL - not far off from my garage! I've got an '03 GTI 1.8T (wife's) and an '07 A4 2.0T (my DD.) Though this may change - wife is now arguing it's not fair that I have both a Porsche and an Audi, and she's stuck with a "lowly Volkswagen". LOL. (The VW has software, suspension, Porsche brakes... lowly? I think not!!!) At any rate, she took the Audi to work today...

And you are correct - I was referring to ability and pucker factor, not the boost gauge
Old 06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
robinsonracing
Racer

Great looking car. One thing I noticed is the harness bar. Just for your info. If you are planning on tracking the car at all then that will need to go and then use factory belts or get seats that have holes for the shoulders to pass through and also add sub-belt if not already installed. Have fun with it cause they were definately built to drive.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by robinsonracing
Great looking car. One thing I noticed is the harness bar. Just for your info. If you are planning on tracking the car at all then that will need to go and then use factory belts or get seats that have holes for the shoulders to pass through and also add sub-belt if not already installed. Have fun with it cause they were definately built to drive.
I've had a few folks tell me that. I've also heard (over the years) that it's generally bad to use a harness in a car that doesn't have a true rollbar. I guess the theory/rumor is that you could get STUCK in the seat in the event the roof caves in on you.

At least for the remainder of this year, I plan to just do Auto-X events. I'm NO stranger to the track, believe me (just motorcycles, not cars), but I *do* know how much it costs (and how easily I can spiral out of control with THAT addiction.) I think right now I get away with a lot of this stuff because I introduced the wife to Auto-X this year and she LOVES it - so it works out to be a cheap, fun weekend and we both get to do it. Funding a monthly track day habit (or worse... a W2W racing career) for TWO people is well beyond my budget right now The wife doesn't know what she's missing, and I intend to keep it that way for awhile. I know I'm missing out on the fun, but I'm also missing out on the tire bills, the brake bills, the trailer (and necessary diesel tow rig), etc. I'll take my $25 weekend and go home, thank you very much
Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

That is funny, as I have an '05 1.8t in silver also.
We have an 08 Rabbit but that doesn't count (no boost).
Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah you'll have a lot of people tell you what's wrong with your harness setup. The main thing is just the seating arrangement. It's fine for autox though. Enjoy it.

The car looks killer.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Damn, I knew it...my stolen car would show up eventually on Rennlist. The authorities are on the way over as I type. Congrats on the good looking 951 but obviously I'm prejudiced.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 06-23-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

as far as the 10ths thing goes- if you dont drive the car you are driving it 0/10ths- if you are driving it about 50% of its potential- say on the street- 5/10ths- and if you are driving it as fast as the car will possibly go - 10/10ths.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Just wait until you track the car - then you will really see what the 951 is all about!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Bob_in_Chicago
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I suggest taking your new 951 out on the track during lunchtime "touring" at Vintage or PCA road racing events at Road America, Blackhawk or Autobahn. These are for street cars, out for an hour "touring" the track with passengers belted in, but some of us do go a little fast. Did I say fast?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

how much was it!
got some engine pics?

Quick Reply: LOVE IT!