Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone ever bought a new wastegate from Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:36 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the record...lart is NOT Canadian!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:48 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
And a wastegate that is opening at 4PSI or 6PSI is broken too....

According to Porsche spec they're supposed to start cracking open at 4psi. I tested mine on the bench and it started to open at about 5psi. So when installed, the added little back pressure in the cross-over will help to open it at 4 psi. So, it seems to be about right.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:11 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Relax, man;
seems like you feel you're being addressed: talking about carbs and direct injection; changing the subject to throw up a smokescreen; silly
At least come up with an intelligent rebuttal.

Anyway, I never said that a newer wastegate wouldn't be a viable option (heck, when the time comes, I'll probably get one myself).
It's just that the general consensus seems to be: if you want more power get the Tial.
Well, I know someone who was given that advice when he was complaining about low/dropping boost. He swapped out a perfectly fine oem unit only to find out after that he was actually dealing with exhaust obstruction (his boost did go up, though, after the wastegate swap)
This is just an example of how operators could possibly use an aftermarket gate as a bandaide solution for a possible inefficient turbo system.

By the way, 951 RS;
a properly working OEM wastegate starts to open at 4psi (not 1 psi). With shims, as much as 6psi. If your gate is opening at 1 psi, it's either broken or you have a serious back pressure problem.
Yes, my metaphor to show how silly you were being with a direct comparison of old and new technology was truly off track!
I won't clutter the thread explaining how that works to you, so you can PM me if you need more clarification

The old "I know someone:" very sneaky turbotommy... It's almost as if we can no longer carry on our wayward lies about these stock wastegate being subpar because you know someone who found out they had a bad turbo system and the wastegate was a band-aid fix. I'm completely perplexed how to proceed now because you completely thwarted my plans to trick you into getting a tial.

However, being serious, even on a stock turbo setup a new wastegate will help with power under the curve. Any well set up turbo system's primary purpose (minus a dyno queen) is to spool as fast as possible, without surging of course, to produce torque sooner through boost and then hold onto whatever boost it can, as efficiently as possible, for as long as possible to produce torque for as long as possible, as long as possible. Power under the curve is a great thing when you have it, and the wastegate certainly is a huge part of obtaining that for as long as possible.
Some things that the sheep "baah" about might be true, you never know!
I tried to make that post as short as possible!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:15 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

This is my 4in exhaust that was made by CEP. My whole exhaust has v-bands except the turbo in n out. Pic heavy

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...aust-pics.html
Old 02-17-2010, 05:22 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

That's really off topic, but yet somehow appealing.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:30 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951_RS
That's really off topic, but yet somehow appealing.
showing pictures of the wastegate. that ppl were talking and asking about. The edge posted some
Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Gotcha, I just saw it was about an exhaust with V band clamps.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951_RS
Yes, my metaphor to show how silly you were being with a direct comparison of old and new technology was truly off track!
I won't clutter the thread explaining how that works to you, so you can PM me if you need more clarification

The old "I know someone:" very sneaky turbotommy... It's almost as if we can no longer carry on our wayward lies about these stock wastegate being subpar because you know someone who found out they had a bad turbo system and the wastegate was a band-aid fix. I'm completely perplexed how to proceed now because you completely thwarted my plans to trick you into getting a tial.

However, being serious, even on a stock turbo setup a new wastegate will help with power under the curve. Any well set up turbo system's primary purpose (minus a dyno queen) is to spool as fast as possible, without surging of course, to produce torque sooner through boost and then hold onto whatever boost it can, as efficiently as possible, for as long as possible to produce torque for as long as possible, as long as possible. Power under the curve is a great thing when you have it, and the wastegate certainly is a huge part of obtaining that for as long as possible.
Some things that the sheep "baah" about might be true, you never know!
I tried to make that post as short as possible!

Excessive back pressure in the cross-over kills power (even though there's a nice number displayed on your boost gauge), and is unsafe (detonation). OEM wastegates help to prevent this from happening (although, I admit, at the cost of a tad less response)
You can PM me if you need clarification.
But, I'm guessing you haven't done your own tests, so I won't be replying to any defensive canned responses.

I'm not advocating that one should shell out the ridiculius $ for the OEM unit. (I wouldn't pay that either). Just saying it does exactly what its designed to do; even on modded cars.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:54 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by minho78
Brian, are these plates manufactured? Will they bolt on to the stock piping? I really like the New MVS. Smaller and lighter.
Well, I brought this topic back to life for the simple fact that I wanted to know if there's plates available for the MVS.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Well, I brought this topic back to life for the simple fact that I wanted to know if there's plates available for the MVS.
Yes, i got mine from CEP
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Reno how much did you pay for them?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Reno how much did you pay for them?
I am not sure u have to contact him. I paid for the whole exhaust with that included but wasn't much
Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reno808
I am not sure u have to contact him. I paid for the whole exhaust with that included but wasn't much
Ok. Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 02:42 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
According to Porsche spec they're supposed to start cracking open at 4psi. I tested mine on the bench and it started to open at about 5psi. So when installed, the added little back pressure in the cross-over will help to open it at 4 psi. So, it seems to be about right.
Depends on your views then.

Sure, opening at 4PSI might not be "broken", but to me it certainly is. If its opening when I dont want it to, its most certainly broken. Hence why most people go to something much better than the stock one, because it opens when they dont want it to and therefor it is broken. Regardless of how "good" its original design was or how it was designed to work.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever bought a new wastegate from Porsche?