Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone ever bought a new wastegate from Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last I heard Lindsey was starting development on their own custom wastegates. dealing with the stock housings was becoming a pain.

Not to throw stones but although in its day Porsche did engineer the 951 very well technology has moved beyond and there are better option for most everything. And like your old intel 486 the OEM Porsche WG is dated design optimized for mass production. Tial's are far superior in simplicity of design, materials, and function for half the cost. How can anyone in their right mind want to go back to stock? The Club Gate provides the same function for less money and is rebuildable.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tial is best... Compare this to your stock wastegate "Someone" is making adapters to bolt one of these to the stock exhaust. If I were you id wait until those come out soon

Old 05-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Then how come Lindsey Racing uses a factory core to build theirs?
Like Ben said, purely for the benefit of showroom stock racers, but they wound up also selling it to people who want the cheapest upgrade or replacement for their old stock wastegates.

These cars rely on boost to make power. It makes sense that you would do anything you can to make maximum boost as quickly as possible and hold it as long as possible, and dump it as quickly as possible when needed. Newer wastegates do that better than the OEM ones do. It's that simple.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is that a 36mm Tial in the photo, Ben?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:37 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is that a 36mm Tial in the photo, Ben?
I assume you mean me, yes its the new Tial 38MM MVS. Only comes with V-Bands hence the plates being developed. Very light weight (much lighter than the stock wastegate), very easy to mount, and comes with 5 ports spread all over it for easy hose routing.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn me too! I bought the plates from Speedforce, but would much rather just have the adapters.

Any idea when/price???
Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by choinga
damn me too! I bought the plates from Speedforce, but would much rather just have the adapters.

Any idea when/price???
Soon and I dont know but all of this "someones" other products are excellently priced (even underpriced) and are excellently built.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Like Ben said, purely for the benefit of showroom stock racers, but they wound up also selling it to people who want the cheapest upgrade or replacement for their old stock wastegates.
LR definitely is not the cheapest upgrade - especially if you don't have an acceptable core (or no core at all). I think it appeals to those who want the least amount of hassle with installation, want to be able to use all the original brackets to keep the mount from cracking and/or need it to be compliant for specific racing rules.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by choinga
Any idea when/price???
Soon and cheaper then any other competitors adapters and wastegate packages, with superior parts.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, that new 38mm looks awesome!

Also for those who don't know, the Tial F-41 bolts onto the stock crossover flange. If you want to tie it back in, any muffler shop can fab that piece in about 5 minutes. If you want to save even more money, buy the tightest radius 1.5" OD J bend you can find on Jegs and bring it with you to the muffler shop. It's a nice alternative if you happen to find a good deal on the 41 ...or if you just can't bear the idea shelling out over 100 bucks for a pair of adapter plates/dont feel like making your own.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm chomping at the bit waiting for the new pipes for the MV-S to be a bolt on solution... me want SOOOO badly I can almost taste it...

Brian call "someone" and tell them to hurry up, Ive been wanting this since someone mentioned it to me somewhere... should fit right into my upgrade plans, but I need to make it all happen in the next few weeks before the wife gets out of the hospital...
Old 05-31-2009, 06:18 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
I assume you mean me, yes its the new Tial 38MM MVS. Only comes with V-Bands hence the plates being developed. Very light weight (much lighter than the stock wastegate), very easy to mount, and comes with 5 ports spread all over it for easy hose routing.
I don't see it on the Tial website. Can you point it out, please? Also, IIRC people used to choose between a smaller Tial and the 38mm which was a bit overkill for the stock setup.

Which size works best in a stock configuration? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I don't see it on the Tial website. Can you point it out, please? Also, IIRC people used to choose between a smaller Tial and the 38mm which was a bit overkill for the stock setup.

Which size works best in a stock configuration? Thanks.
You don't see what? I have been waiting to be able to bolt this TIaL on, it is a 38mm WG, Low profile, and it has 3 lower ports and 2 upper ones, the lower are 120 degrees apart around the lower perimeter of the diaphram housing, the 2 upper ones are 1 on top and 1 on side...

Shown in pic is a 38mm MV-S beside a TIaL 60mm for comparison sake.. notice the difference not only in orifice size, but also height... you can see the ports on the MV-S, it will work with a stock setup if running a manual boost controller (or electronic boost controller) and the MV-S can be had for under $300....
Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
You don't see what?
Can't find Brian's WG on the Tial website. Which one is it? The MV-S doesn't say what size it is. Thanks.

http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg.htm

http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg_mvs.htm
Old 05-31-2009, 02:11 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Can't find Brian's WG on the Tial website. Which one is it? The MV-S doesn't say what size it is. Thanks.

http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg.htm

http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg_mvs.htm
From the Tial website in news releases..
"MV-S Wastegate
V-Band 38mm Wastegate
Now Shipping in ALL Colors

TiAL will be replacing the F38 wastegate with the new MV-S wastegate. Small was on our mind when we developed this new ultra compact wastegate. It stands only 3.7" in height vs the current F38 which is 4.85" Other features include 3 bottom pressure ports for easy install and a top mount pressure port that can be rotated 6 different ways. No more bolts or gaskets and all configurations are leaded fuel safe. we also altered the way the diaphragm sits so it is virtually impossible to pinch. Now shipping in all colors. "

Quick Reply: Anyone ever bought a new wastegate from Porsche?