Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

BLEW HEAD GASKET!!! (pics inside) some questions needing answers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 PM
TheDice951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLEW HEAD GASKET!!! (pics inside) some questions needing answers

So as you can see I blew my head gasket.... it was about time anyway... so what I am asking here is a few questions I would like your guy’s opinion on...

I’m using a comtech full metal head gasket, and was wondering, from your guy’s experience, where would be the best place to get my gaskets from? I’m also resurfacing my head....

I am also doing timing belt and water pump. I was wondering what else I should replace while I have all that off, seal wise...?

I am also replacing the turbo, do to oil leaking, constant oil burning and oil leaking out of the downpipe flange... the turbo I believe is a gt28r but I could be wrong... it was a Huntley stage 2 kit which uses a Garrett turbo but doesn’t specify which.... I want to know what a good upgrade for our cars is. Fast spool and good power... I was making 320WHP and would like more but not less.... a friend of mine, who is big into VW, suggested the gt35r...?

The main thing I’m trying to do is make this thing free of leaks for a while and not have to worry about it.... I’m PCSing (relocating w/ the air force) and don’t want this to be much of a burden for the next few months.....

Any ideas of seals to get at while I’m here that go bad easy and anything I can do easy for power or cleaning up the engine bay while I’m at this point would be greatly appreciated.....

I also want to powder coat the intake manifold, intercooler pipes, intake pipe, and cam housing.... is there a place I can get all cam get all the seals needed individually?

Thanks for your input ahead of time
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
TheDice951
Racer

also, i am not sure if the head studs came factory but if not i was wondering if i could reuse them or if i need new ones?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
spyder348
Pro

gt30r is a badass turbo you could go with a k27/8. anything with a bigger hot side than that will cause more T lag. also to help from oil burning get a saikou michi oil catch can.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
spyder348
Pro

put in ARP studs. im planning a doing to my gasket what happ. to you there lol when i replace it again ill install arp studs
Old 02-17-2010, 02:34 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Well I got a Lindsey racing headgasket kit(WideFire). Everything that you need to redo a headgasket is included. I reused the head studs. So far 6 months no problem.Turbo you have differnet solutions, You could match with another from one of the vendors with that power output.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
TheDice951
Racer

well this head gasket was installed 50,000 miles ago and it was a widefire gasket.... i am using a full metal one this time..... the gasket just looked like it was falling apart everywhere.... it looked weak....

seals?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usualy nice to seperate thoughts into different threads, but WTH, at least you used sentances.

Now as for the head gasket, you will also need the cam tower gasket, might as well have the head rebuilt if you are having it resurfaced already. not too much more for valve seats, springs, check/replace guides. Cam bearings and valve pring retainers are also options. Be carefull with the machine shop prep of the head for the COMETIC gasket, the surface roughness has to be very fine, or the MLS gasket will not seal correctly... more so than any other gasket type available.

As for turbo, just about anything will be beter than the huntley, can't go wrong with the GT30, the GT53 might get laggy unless you have other supporting mods (exhaust, intake, head work) but that is just my oppinion.

sounds like you will be 50% or more torn down, why not pop the rest of the engine out (bottom end), do a full reseal, rod bearings, pan gasket, rear main seal, and clutch "while you're in there".. might save you from having to tear into the engine in 5K miles...

Give John Vitesse a ring, or email, or just visit his site, with power target in mind, he can help sort the rest of the bits out.. I am sure Lindsey Racing or SFR would be more than happy to help you work it all out as well.

Good luck and I sure hope you don't start untill AFTER you PCS, as trying to relo with a car in pieces tends to be a death knell for them... I have seen it 1000 times...finish it before the move, or wait untill you have moved.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

You can't complain you got 50K miles out of one gasket. As to seals are you rebuilding the block also. If you not the kit that I mentioned above has everything you need even the Valve guide seals. Also do yourself a favor get a steam vent kit. IIRC ~$50 dollars.
You can also buy the kit for the headgasket and Block:
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Part...SKETS944T.html
Old 02-17-2010, 02:52 PM
TheDice951
Racer

awesome guys....thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheDice951
well this head gasket was installed 50,000 miles ago and it was a widefire gasket.... i am using a full metal one this time..... the gasket just looked like it was falling apart everywhere.... it looked weak....

seals?
Whats your AF ratio like? you think you might be leaning out and causing problems. I would have thought it would have lasted longer then 50k
Old 02-17-2010, 03:17 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

what where u doing when it blew. It was on its way out anyways. how do the cyclinders look like?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like your block was Oringed at some point. May not work well with a Cometic gasket....
Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=reno808;7321304]what where u doing when it blew. It was on its way out anyways. how do the cyclinders look like?[/QUOTE]

Well, their round, and about 100mm tall, and kinda brownish near the top, but silver below that.....

Sorry couldn't resist...
Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=JohnKoaWood;7321310]
Originally Posted by reno808
what where u doing when it blew. It was on its way out anyways. how do the cyclinders look like?[/QUOTE]

Well, their round, and about 100mm tall, and kinda brownish near the top, but silver below that.....

Sorry couldn't resist...
Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 PM
TheDice951
Racer

well it happend because the line for the wastegate broke and it overboosted.... what do you mean "o-ringed" how can you tell?.... eveything looks good besides the head... it needs resurfaced or just cleaned pretty good..... if you look at the gasket it was falling apart everywhere so i was asuming it was on its way out already.... i looked in the paperwork that i have for the car since new and it had the receipt for the headgasket about 50k miles ago.....

this isnt my first rodeo.... i have rebuilt many motors before just no porsche motors....

Quick Reply: BLEW HEAD GASKET!!! (pics inside) some questions needing answers