Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:50 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission problems

I totally jixned myself. I was talking about how good the car is running and how solid it feels then......BAM.

I'm hearing all kinds of noise in each gear. Reverse is quiet. When im sitting at idle I can hear all the mechanical clanking then I depress the clutch and it all go's away. Moving forward in ANY gear brings all sorts of nose but, the car does move and go'. Infact I drove it up on the flatbed and off again last night.

I guess its going back to Advanced Automotive on monday for tranny This means no fest for me, no anything really(I was about to order side skirts, mirrors, door handles, and a splitter to go with the TRS wing). I just spent 2k fixing a few other bits on the car(suspension). Whats a rebuild on one of these go for?

Also is there anything I could check today under the car to see if its by any chance something else?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:03 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

John, Sorry to hear that you are having issues. Are you hearing the Torque Tube bearings? Or the transmission?

If it's the transmission, before rebuilding, you might find a good transaxle with a known history with LSD. If you decide to rebuild the transaxle, make sure it's done by someone who actually has experience with these units.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:24 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fast951
John, Sorry to hear that you are having issues. Are you hearing the Torque Tube bearings? Or the transmission?

If it's the transmission, before rebuilding, you might find a good transaxle with a known history with LSD. If you decide to rebuild the transaxle, make sure it's done by someone who actually has experience with these units.
How do I tell the difference between the tq tube and the tranny?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:51 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty hard to break a Pinion in my experience, It's more likely or rather hopefully a cheaper weaker link in the chain of 951 weakness. I know your pain, my car had just gotten back together with significantly more power and I went to hard launch and never made it completely into first, it popped out of gear and made impressive crack poof and I thought I had blown the trans and had to get towed but in the end it was the cage for the bearings for the axle.

IIRC my rebuild was approx $3400 CAD
Old 05-23-2009, 03:19 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

ouch john it might be best to just buy another unit
I had my original LSD tranny rebuilt spent 4-5k and still had issues
Goodluck
Old 05-23-2009, 03:32 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

You can get them rebuilt for +/- $2K.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Drain your trany oil and see what comes out. The TT bearing that fails the most is towards the front of the TT so the noise tends to be right under you.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:40 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jasonlp
It's pretty hard to break a Pinion in my experience, It's more likely or rather hopefully a cheaper weaker link in the chain of 951 weakness. I know your pain, my car had just gotten back together with significantly more power and I went to hard launch and never made it completely into first, it popped out of gear and made impressive crack poof and I thought I had blown the trans and had to get towed but in the end it was the cage for the bearings for the axle.

IIRC my rebuild was approx $3400 CAD
Your tranny was 3400 or the bearings for the axle where. I'm starting to think now its not the tranny but, might be the tq tube or something else like you guys are saying.

If its not the tranny what do these other parts cost to fix?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:14 PM
FASTRNU
Pro

If you need a trany I have a spare,NO LSD, but shifts nice.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:21 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

i don't want to hijack the thread but i wanted to ask ... do you guys shift into 1st on your downshift ? i just go from 2nd to neutral at around 2000 rpm when i come to a stop. Also do you shift from 3 to 2 quickly? i.e. a few seconds before you come to a stop? or do you run through all the gears at the same pace?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I never go into 1st on a downshift. 1st in my opinion is only to get the car moving, after that only 2nd gear unless i am at a dead crawl. Now there are a few occasions where maybe 1st might be helpful at an auto-x or something, but its not worth grinding the hell out of my gears and burning the clutch up. Even then the time gained by downshifting is usually offset by the time taken to execute said shift.

I hardly ever downshift coming up to a stop light unless i know its about to turn green and i need to slow down a little. Otherwise i will let it come down to a bout 2k then shift into neutral, regardless of gear. No need to engine brake in my opinion.. let the brakes do the stopping. And, yes i rev match every downshift. I cringe when someone slips the clutch out

Also if it sounds like its right infront of you, it could be torque tube bearings (as mentioned), throwout bearing and possibly pilot bearing.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:41 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's an 89 turbo s tranny with lsd w/90k miles' in the Rennlist classifieds right now for 1500 in Pa.

Semper fi
Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

it would probably be best to have a mechanic check the pilot bearing and such before you ship a whole different transmission. Can that be checked without removing a bunch of parts?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I never go into 1st on a downshift. 1st in my opinion is only to get the car moving, after that only 2nd gear unless i am at a dead crawl.
yeah i figured that. That's how i always been taught. I never owned an automatic and i've been driving for 17 years. I've seen a few that do not shift like that so i was a bit curious.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:25 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Your tranny was 3400 or the bearings for the axle where. I'm starting to think now its not the tranny but, might be the tq tube or something else like you guys are saying.

If its not the tranny what do these other parts cost to fix?
$3400 was for Trans rebuild.

$3400 for an axle would have to be something truly amazing

axle was free, life time warranty

Quick Reply: Transmission problems