Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009 | 03:31 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Dude, pcik up a turbo trans and swap it in. You can find them for >500 bucks. t's easy to replace. No excuse to miss 944 fest!
Old 05-24-2009 | 03:37 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Lorax
Dude, pcik up a turbo trans and swap it in. You can find them for >500 bucks. t's easy to replace. No excuse to miss 944 fest!
I don't know what im going to do yet. Van as well as some others have offered to help me out with a tranny with LSD. If its the tranny I'm hoping I can get a new one spapped in and out the door for under 2k but, well see.

Regardless this eats the 500 bucks I had budgeted for the fest weekend. I just don't know if im going to still make it or not. Getting the car back up and running takes top priority. I don't want it to be down long.
Old 05-24-2009 | 04:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

John, is your tranny a 5 or 6 speed at the moment? For some reason I thought you have a 968 one? I know George D does but I thought you might have one as well?
Hope you get up and running before the Fest. I'm sure your car would have been one of the highlights.
Old 05-24-2009 | 12:57 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
John, is your tranny a 5 or 6 speed at the moment? For some reason I thought you have a 968 one? I know George D does but I thought you might have one as well?
Hope you get up and running before the Fest. I'm sure your car would have been one of the highlights.
Its the standard 5spd. I would consider going to a 6speed but, from what everyone tells me its not a good match up for our cars. You have to change the gears inorder to make it work right. I think I remember dfast saying he had 6k in his box to make it perfect.

Right now considering everything else I got lined up thats just too much bread. If it is the tranny I think I can find a new one with LSD for $500 bucks. So maybe I can get this whole thing fixed for cheep. Anyone know book labor hours on a tranny replacement job?
Old 05-24-2009 | 01:01 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Its the standard 5spd. I would consider going to a 6speed but, from what everyone tells me its not a good match up for our cars. You have to change the gears inorder to make it work right. I think I remember dfast saying he had 6k in his box to make it perfect.

Right now considering everything else I got lined up thats just too much bread. If it is the tranny I think I can find a new one with LSD for $500 bucks. So maybe I can get this whole thing fixed for cheep. Anyone know book labor hours on a tranny replacement job?
Forget labor hours man - If the fest is in question because of this then I'm sure some rennlisters could help you out with the swap. It's really not that difficult.
Old 05-24-2009 | 01:28 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Forget labor hours man - If the fest is in question because of this then I'm sure some rennlisters could help you out with the swap. It's really not that difficult.
Well I don't like putting people out. Its faster and easier on my conscience just to pay a pro to knock out the work. Max has done a little work on my car and I felt so guilty not paying him. Hence why he now has that alacantara dash.

The only lister I know close enough to me that I'd feel comfortable letting drop my tranny is Van and Van is a very busy man these days. Just easier for me to send it to Advanced. Well see maybe I can get it back running for 1500. In which case I could go to fest.
Old 05-24-2009 | 01:36 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Well I don't like putting people out. Its faster and easier on my coincidence just to pay a pro to knock out the work. Max has done a little work on my car and I felt so guilty not paying him. Hence why he now has that alacantara dash.

The only lister I know close enough to me that I'd feel comfortable letting drop my tranny is Van and Van is a very busy man these days. Just easier for me to send it to Advanced. Well see maybe I can get it back running for 1500. In which case I could go to fest.
I'm certain you could. Can you forgo buying an LSD tranny for now?

I'm not really sold on the factory LSD anyway, they weren't a very heavy bias and they are probably quite worn after 20 years.

If it were me, I'd drop in a open diff and then buy and aftermarket LSD unit down the road and have it installed.

Just another option
Old 05-24-2009 | 01:49 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

I'm not really sold on the factory LSD anyway, they weren't a very heavy bias and they are probably quite worn after 20 years.

If it were me, I'd drop in a open diff and then buy and aftermarket LSD unit down the road and have it installed.

Just another option
I was told my factory LSD was in good shape during my rebuild and this is 23 years in
Old 05-24-2009 | 01:51 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonlp
I was told my factory LSD was in good shape during my rebuild and this is 23 years in

If that's the case then it really says something about the quality of these vehicles.
Old 05-26-2009 | 04:21 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Any news?
Old 05-26-2009 | 05:49 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Just another option
I agree with this concept. I had to have my factory LSD rebuilt a few times. They were not designed for higher hp applications. I would do as Ryan suggests just to get you going soon and then just get an aftermarket Quaife or something suitable at a later date John.
Old 05-26-2009 | 06:02 PM
MM951
Race Director

Just another option
I agree.. Also, dropping a trans on these cars is stupid easy and impossible to mess up provided you slide the trans coupling back before doing anything else. I'm sure you and Max could knock it out in an afternoon.
Old 05-26-2009 | 07:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

While I may not be able to provide much "wrench" support, you're welcome to come use my garage with Mike and Max.

If you need something to get you to the fest, I might be able to offer you a "loaner" tranny - I have a few spares.

I'd guess that in my garage, and 3 people total, it could be swapped in 2-3 hours. Maybe less.
Old 05-26-2009 | 09:36 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

The car has already been shipped to Advanced Automotive guys. I keep you guys posted on what we find out.
Old 05-27-2009 | 04:51 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonlp
It's pretty hard to break a Pinion in my experience,

IIRC my rebuild was approx $3400 CAD
FWIW, I broke the 3rd gear pinion in my 951. Rebuild was around € 1K by a shop that does this type of work often.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...turbo-cab.html

Quick Reply: Transmission problems